What to do with 2* and 3* covers?

Options
Unknown
edited February 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
I've been playing this game for about 3 months now. Bit disappointed by how slow it is. Have 9 character slots now. This is my roster:

IronMan35-30, MStorm-30, MBlackWidow-30, Wolverine-6, Thor-6, Juggernaut-13, IncrHulk-15, DrDoom-15, Venom-10.

I also got keep single other covers such as Daken, Moonstone, Hawkeye etc that I keep selling off because I don't have enough roster space. Should I sell off the 3* covers? I do not see any way I can get more covers to upgrade the levels or powers of DrDoom and Hulk. Should I remove these to make room? Or will those eventually come in useful.

This is game is so slow-paced, I'll probably stop playing long before my 3* covers become useful. I play on PC. Since my team takes around 1 hour to recover from each match, I typically end up playing 2-3 matches a day. This slow recovery mechanic makes the game very slow paced and boring, and is a terrible idea for a PC game anyway. icon_e_sad.gif

Comments

• Health packs regenerate every 35 minutes. If you go below 5 healthpacks you will automatically begin regenerating another. The regen limit is 5.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Trigonox wrote:
    I've been playing this game for about 3 months now. Bit disappointed by how slow it is. Have 9 character slots now. This is my roster:

IronMan35-30, MStorm-30, MBlackWidow-30, Wolverine-6, Thor-6, Juggernaut-13, IncrHulk-15, DrDoom-15, Venom-10.

I also got keep single other covers such as Daken, Moonstone, Hawkeye etc that I keep selling off because I don't have enough roster space. Should I sell off the 3* covers? I do not see any way I can get more covers to upgrade the levels or powers of DrDoom and Hulk. Should I remove these to make room? Or will those eventually come in useful.

This is game is so slow-paced, I'll probably stop playing long before my 3* covers become useful. I play on PC. Since my team takes around 1 hour to recover from each match, I typically end up playing 2-3 matches a day. This slow recovery mechanic makes the game very slow paced and boring, and is a terrible idea for a PC game anyway. icon_e_sad.gif

Yeah you are gonna have to go mobile if you want to do much. That being said, you need to do all that you can early stages to get HP to buy roster slots. But I highly recomend playing the prologue, play it as much as you can, you 'll get some Wolvies, Thor's, Daken's that will really help you out. The only 1 starts worth keeping are the ones' you have, but they are not irreplacable, you can get them back at any time. I would sell off venom and juggernaut for now and work on the prologue to get your wovlie's and Thor's, then you'll start being competitve
  • You must not play very much then. What you need to do is work through the Prologue and only ever spend the coins on slots. Purely with Im/MBW/MStorm you can actually be winning some very nice stuff with judicious skipping in PVP and you can be winning nice stuff in the events as well. Your opponents should still be pretty easy.
  • In fact, to go even further, don't spend HP on anything but slots until you have atleast 20 or so, you should never sell characters until you have a maxed one as there are many events that are restricted to certain ones. That being said, 3* are much rarer than 1* or 2* so those ones you should keep for sure. Try to also get in 50-100 pts in every lightning round as the seed teams you can usually kill and that will net you about 1k iso each.

I started a 2nd lowbie account to see what it's like now and I think I have like 8 slots and 8 or 9 toons (a few in the 30s) in about a month so you probably aren't playing as much as other people.
  • bahukma wrote:
    Health packs regenerate every 35 minutes. If you go below 5 healthpacks you will automatically begin regenerating another. The regen limit is 5.

Did not know this. I play on the PC, so I can only do one play session a day. This means I can heal my damaged heroes and not have to wait until the next day to play after I take damage. Was thinking of selling off Venom anyway, but he did look useful for dealing with snipers, pyros etc. Working through the prologue now, mostly done, except haven't started Oscorp.
    LoreNYC wrote:
    I started a 2nd lowbie account to see what it's like now and I think I have like 8 slots and 8 or 9 toons (a few in the 30s) in about a month so you probably aren't playing as much as other people.
    Mostly because I play on PC, and did not know the health packs regen if you have less than 5.
  • LoreNYC wrote:
    Try to also get in 50-100 pts in every lightning round as the seed teams you can usually kill and that will net you about 1k iso each.

I've been doing the lightning rounds whenever possible (50-100 pts). But the new patch means you can longer skip easily. I almost always get pitted against opponents with at least one level 30-50 hero, so lightning rounds are going to be much less useful. Even when playing against low level opponents, I'd take enough damage in 3-4 matches to have to stop playing.
  • Not that it helps now, but this is why it is critical to spend HP only on roster slots. I've been playing for 3 weeks, only once or twice a day, and have 14 slots. Spending HP on covers that you might not even have room for creates this...

I would focus on IM35, MBW, and MStorm. Keep Juggernaut. Sell off any Bagman, Yelena, Moonstone and C Hawkeye. Finish the Prologue. Grind the Shield Vs Simulator as there are several HP awards there.

Lightning Rounds are pretty useless to you as they are particularly hard to get high enough to the HP awards. The usual PVP events can be done with 2 good 1* characters... you just have to make top 150 or so. You do NOT want to place much higher than that.

Northern Polarity is working on a guide for 1 to 3 star progression. Take a look at that.

Did you look at the daily resupply list and see what *** are still coming to you? Check the Versus progressive rewards too. Don't ditch *** covers you have of which you will get more from those sources.

You could also restart. My sons and I have been playing for 2-3 weeks and are having a blast, lots to do. We all have at least a dozen cover slots. Still only competing for top 150 or top 100 to get the ** cover awards, but at our stage that is more valuable to us than the *** covers we cannot use for a few weeks or months yet.
  • HailMary
    HailMary Posts: 2,179
    Options
    Yeah, one play session a day is slow going, but at least you know how Health Packs work now. If you haven't yet, I'd try to get all of the completion rewards for the Prologue missions you've played (4 rewards per mission, 50% chance of getting a reward per completion). P:Oscorp and P:Dark Avengers have pretty meaty rewards, including much-needed Hero Points, Thor covers, & AWolv covers (but those high-reward missions are also pretty hard for lvl30 heroes).

Honestly, I think your roster has more basic potential than mine did when I started Oscorp (and before I played any Events), but you'll be depending on your 1* heroes for a while longer. Those 3* chars only start becoming useful when you get most of their covers or when they're buffed in specific events.

NorthernPolarity made a solid guide for all this: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3939
  • Thanks for all the great advice. I'll keep upgrading IM35 and MStorm as suggested. I did NOT spend a single HP on anything other than slots. It's just that HP is very hard to come by without spending money, which I might just have to do eventually.

Overall, I think I'll keep Juggernaut, and the two 3* covers I have. I did not buy either with HP. One was an event reward I think, and another was from a daily reward.