A Mostly Accurate 4* Ranking (Final Update 8/11/18)

Comments

• Piro_plock
    Piro_plock Posts: 287 Mover and Shaker
    ValekBoss wrote:
    I find it funny you rate the likes of icon_katebishop.png , icon_punisher.png , icon_x23.png and icon_warmachine.png higher then medusa_icon.png ....
    I am curious how you rate icon_caroldanvers.png ..

Nice write-up, though!Keep up the good work.
    IMO Punisher absolutely deserves to be rated higher than Medusa. The other three... not so much.
  • DesertTortoise
    DesertTortoise Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    I'm a cover away from champing Medusa and I won't pretend to be an expert but I think she requires a very specific team or opponents to be very good. I mean she's absolutely excellent at what she does, but there is a niche element to it. I get her ranking in that context.
  • ValekBoss
    ValekBoss Posts: 106 Tile Toppler
    Piro_plock wrote:
    ValekBoss wrote:
    I find it funny you rate the likes of icon_katebishop.png , icon_punisher.png , icon_x23.png and icon_warmachine.png higher then medusa_icon.png ....

IMO Punisher absolutely deserves to be rated higher than Medusa. The other three... not so much.

Ok Punisher maybe...but i prefer a boosted medusa_icon.png over a boosted icon_punisher.png any day in PvP.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    ValekBoss wrote:
    Piro_plock wrote:
    ValekBoss wrote:

Ok Punisher maybe...but i prefer a boosted medusa_icon.png over a boosted icon_punisher.png any day in PvP.

Boosted punisher is a serious damage machine. Nobody in the 4* tier comes close to him. I've taken down 450+ 5* with a boosted punisher.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    UPDATED Y'ALL.

- Added Carol Danvers at #6 and Riri Williams at #33.

- Added ability color flags for recommended builds. Realized I know every character's color order without checking, which probably means I'm playing this damn game too much.

- Bumped Invisible Woman from the bottom of B-List to the bottom of Solid - she's much better post-rework than I had originally anticipated.

- Very grudgingly bumped Eddie Brock out of the trash tier to the bottom of B-List after getting a chance to play him champed and boosted. Reed has likewise ascended from "really ****" to "not completely ****" post-rework and is now on the low end of B-List.

- Miles Morales and Medusa's rankings increased slightly. War Machine's ranking lowered slightly, and his description changed after I champed and played with him a bit and determined his red power to be pretty meh.

- Various minor additions to descriptions for the sake of completeness.

Also, since a lot of people have beef with Medusa not being top tier - I placed her where she is because A) her only personal damage output is from her attack tiles, which means she'd get wrecked by herself unless you get very lucky with countdown placement, and B) her AP generation and tile steal/buff, which are her best attributes, depend on having plentiful enemy tiles, which won't always be the case. She's great, but she will get flattened by anyone with fast damage output.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    After playing with boosted fury in guantlet, he has personally moved up for me into top 20 status. Demolition is absolutely incredible when it came to clearing out some of those nodes and he works well to hide im40 another bonus. Un boosted, yeah, he's still niche but that's standard for many 4s.
  • IlDuderino
    IlDuderino Posts: 427 Mover and Shaker
    Thanks for the update! This is a great list!

Not sure how Carol is the best character since Medusa when she is ranked 10 higher though icon_e_wink.gif
  • EleganceFlawed
    EleganceFlawed Posts: 112 Tile Toppler
    Thoughts on Mordo? Not sure if I should make space for him.
  • Jarvind
    Thoughts on Mordo? Not sure if I should make space for him.

I didn't get many covers for him on release and his demo node wasn't that helpful, so I'm not 100%, but contrary to my original prediction in his character thread, he seems mid-to-low tier. He doesn't really synergize well with anybody, except maybe as a charged tile generator for 4Thor, and there's a decent amount of setup required to get the AOE effect on his black power.

I'd say he'd be an OK choice if you can't figure out who to use as a third team member since he's moderately self-sufficient, but not worth going wild trying to cover.

I'll add him in here eventually.
  • EleganceFlawed
    EleganceFlawed Posts: 112 Tile Toppler
    So if you had 1 slot available and had to choose between Venom (Eddie Brock) and Mordo which would you choose?
  • DesertTortoise
    Mordo will end up ranked higher than Venom, virtually without question.
  • Jarvind
    So if you had 1 slot available and had to choose between Venom (Eddie Brock) and Mordo which would you choose?

I don't plan on updating the thread more than every 2-3 releases for the sake of my own sanity, but just eyeballing it right now, Mordo will probably be low 30s, around where Riri is. So not great, but still higher than Eddie.

Mordo is potentially useful unboosted as a charge generator for JaneThor, offers a decent AP steal, and doesn't really need battery support. Eddie is useful when boosted for the yellow nuke, but is otherwise fairly pointless.
  • DesertTortoise
    Jarvind wrote:
    Mordo is potentially useful unboosted as a charge generator for JaneThor, offers a decent AP steal, and doesn't really need battery support. Eddie is useful when boosted for the yellow nuke, but is otherwise fairly pointless.

I think the thing about Mordo is he's useful if for no other reason he's self sufficient. I believe him at 5/3/5 where his black fuels his black and his purple fuels his purple and black is a nice closed loop that also makes some extra blue AP for someone else. In this case, his blue would be a total afterthought because I don't think it does enough damage at 5 covers for it to be worthwhile (10AP for 5,675 damage is bad, black charged tiles or not). That said, I think high 20s/low 30s is more than fair.

Coulson will be a headache for ranking. He's got so much going on between his passives and actives I really have no idea where to begin with his theorycrafting. He appears useful but I've got no idea how useful.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Jarvind wrote:

I think the thing about Mordo is he's useful if for no other reason he's self sufficient. I believe him at 5/3/5 where his black fuels his black and his purple fuels his purple and black is a nice closed loop that also makes some extra blue AP for someone else. In this case, his blue would be a total afterthought because I don't think it does enough damage at 5 covers for it to be worthwhile (10AP for 5,675 damage is bad, black charged tiles or not). That said, I think high 20s/low 30s is more than fair.

Coulson will be a headache for ranking. He's got so much going on between his passives and actives I really have no idea where to begin with his theorycrafting. He appears useful but I've got no idea how useful.

Personally I see coulsen as a very effective support character. He's a pretty good battery and his charge tile swap is a great move. Pair him with Carol and star Lord and you have a pretty nightmarish team there
  • DesertTortoise
    Looks like Venom is doomed to be sent to the back of the line again. Wasp has a chance of jumping forward a lot of ranks now that she's been reworked. It wouldn't even surprise me if she ended up in the top 30 since all you need is 8 blue AP to make the most of her black and blue now. 7 AP for ~4K damage and a 3 turn stun is really strong.
  • Jesus Jones
    Jesus Jones Posts: 182 Tile Toppler
    Mordo or Kingpin, who would you keep? I have 1 blue cover for Mordo and 1 purple and 1 yellow for Kingpin.
  • DesertTortoise
    Mordo or Kingpin, who would you keep? I have 1 blue cover for Mordo and 1 purple and 1 yellow for Kingpin.

Mordo strictly because he'll be in legendary tokens for the next 6 months.
  • Dotproduct
    Dotproduct Posts: 217 Tile Toppler
    Thank you for the list, I was wondering if some of the rankings would change if the covers were limited to say only 1 each?
    I know some of the powers are pretty useless at 1 cover but that's where a lot of us are, and some of us have to decide between keeping 1-2 covers of one or the other.

It might be hard since you can't remove covers but you could take a stab based on their descriptions and how you use them at the 5 cover range?
  • Jarvind
    Dotproduct wrote:
    Thank you for the list, I was wondering if some of the rankings would change if the covers were limited to say only 1 each?
    I know some of the powers are pretty useless at 1 cover but that's where a lot of us are, and some of us have to decide between keeping 1-2 covers of one or the other.

It might be hard since you can't remove covers but you could take a stab based on their descriptions and how you use them at the 5 cover range?

Short answer: yeah, they'd probably change a bit. However, because I can't remove covers and I don't really use a character until they're at 225 or so, it'd be really difficult for me to put together anything reliable by way of a guide. Plus, I'd probably have to rewrite the whole ranking which I just don't really wanna do. icon_e_confused.gif

As a general rule, I'd say that powers which don't deal damage, heal, or create tiles would become much more valuable - stuns, tile shuffles, AP steals, etc. For instance, a 0/4/0 Peggy would be way more valuable than a 2/1/2 Iceman, since she's still royally screwing up your opponent's AP costs as long as you can keep her health up. Spider-Gwen purple, Mordo purple, Cyclops yellow and Carol Danvers green are a few more examples of powers that would still retain most or all of their utility at low levels/covers. Granted, Carol green's AOE would be weak, but you aren't seeing that in more than maybe ~15% of matches anyway.

Hope that helps!
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Interested in how you will rank Wasp now after her buff. She's actually pretty solid.