Ultron Strategies

Options
Dormammu
Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
edited March 2017 in MPQ Tips and Guides
Anyone got any good puzzle-y strategies they use against Ultron using 3 star.png or 4 star.png characters?
(You know, something besides nuking him with your strongest character?)

What about his sentries?

Comments

• Skrofa
    Skrofa Posts: 388 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I like using tilemovers. QS is nice and cheap. Maybe a team of QS, magn3to and rags. Rag cheap red to feed Magneto's blue to feed QS black.

His sentries? Thanos and two chumps
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Pretty much board control characters, yeah. I still have a fairly limited roster, so I've been using **Bullseye and **Cap (his red and blue countdowns can overwrite the bomb tiles) along with a rotating set of Coulson, GSBW, and MNMags (the latter two mostly to set up Match-4s that wipe a row or column with a bomb). Haven't taken damage from him since I got the hang of it.
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    Options
    lcap is very useful, quicksilver and iron fist are a two-man-ghetto-winfinite.
    those two and a strong nuke is an awesome team, just way too slow for pvp
  • Dormammu
    Options
    Skrofa wrote:
    His sentries? Thanos and two chumps
    I'm definitely on this. I'm in no short supply of chumps and my Thanos is champed.
    ammenell wrote:
    quicksilver and iron fist are a two-man-ghetto-winfinite.
    This sounds reasonable. I was thinking Qsilver and his black shuffle, IF sounds like a good buddy.
  • iron-n-wine
    iron-n-wine Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I have run with 3* Captain Marvel, 3* Black Widow and IM40 in the past

Put Cpt Marvel in the middle, and if a bomb does make it to the bottom, at least I get a boost to black and red from the damage she takes

Black Widow can manipulate the board with Purple (eg making a green match4 to wipe out a tricky bomb) and can blow up Bombs with her red, if needed. And her green (assuming it doesnt take ultron down) can remove a few bombs with careful placement.

Have to be careful using IM40s Yellow if theres a lot of yellow near the bottom of the board as it will drop off before they resolve
  • DapperChewie
    DapperChewie Posts: 399 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    If you have 5* Thanos purple, use it. It prevents Ultron from destroying the bottom row while the countdown tile is out. Gives you a few turns to gather AP while Ultron just sits there doing nothing.
  • Big10Inch
    Big10Inch Posts: 23 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I'm currently using 5* Cap and Thanos, as their combo means every color match does loads of damage, combined with Deadpool, using his red to hack away at Ultron. Works really well, esp combined with Thanos' Purple as above.
  • Dormammu
    Options
    Today I took Ulty out each time with Hulkbuster, Iron Fist, and Cyclops. Cyclops' yellow to feed HB's red, Iron Fist's purple to feed HB's black, which feeds his own red... you get the idea.
  • Big10Inch
    Big10Inch Posts: 23 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Wierd, posted earlier, but it's gone.

I'm using 3* Deadpool (Red attacks drops Ultron quickly) and 5* Cap and Thanos, as they cover all colors so you get big damage from basic matches. Barely need to use powers so far..
  • WalrusBrigade
    WalrusBrigade Posts: 94 Match Maker
    Options
    This team is stupid, I don't recommend using this team, although it might work. I am waiting for a refresh before I give it a shot in Round 6(?).

GwenpoolIcon.PNG
    4 star.pngicon_ironman.png
    icon_scarletwitch.png

Switch is trying to fuel Gwen, who is only there to run 'Sploits!, which is only used to get rid of bomb tiles. If you can't use Gwen's purpleflag.png during a turn your first priority is to gather purple. Second priority is to get bombs to be in the same row/column so that you can take out more bombs with fewer powers. Eventually you hope to get enough blackflag.png and redflag.png to run IMHB's combo and beat Ultron. It, like many other combos with Gwen, is kind of stupid . . . but I think it might work.
  • Peelman
    Peelman Posts: 31 Just Dropped In
    Options
    My go to was 3* GSBW at 3/5/5, Hood, and 3* Punisher.

GSBW is great as she is boosted, all of her powers can help clear bombs you can't match away, and she does a decent amount of damage. Hood helps you gain AP and his yellow is another damaging power that can clear bombs. Punisher is mostly useless, but his red power for 8 AP instantly downs opponents below 40% health. At level 6, you can down Ultron when he's under 10,300 health (going from memory, may be different) and at level 7 it can take down the last 15,000 or so. Rather than bring a useless character, taking it as a team-up would be a great idea if you can get it.
  • fanghoul
    fanghoul Posts: 311 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I've been using Scarlet Witch, 3* Black Widow and Hulkbuster.

3* Black Widow does the heavy lifting of making sure we don't die using green match-4s and her sniper rifle. Hulkbuster does most of the damage with his red. Scarlet Witch is the weakest link, but the whole thing doesn't work unless you get enough purple, and she's as good as you're going to get for that icon_neutral.gif

Bringing some board shake team ups is also a big help. Sometimes. If you're going to lose someone anyway, it's worth gambling to see if they don't make things better. X-Force Wolverine has been my favorite, since at least it's predictable.
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,368 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    My team at the moment (we're now in round 6 I believe): Hulkbuster (5/3/2) - Invisible Woman (4/4/5, champed) - 3Clops (5/3/5, champed).

Hulkbuster has a small boost, and his red is meant to be the main Ultron killer. IW is mostly there for her yellow - for 7 yellow AP, she can turn the team invisible for 2 turns, which is pretty useful in order to avoid damage from bombs you can't counter. Also, if able to gather 10 green she can take a nasty chew off Ultron's HP bar as well. Cyke is used as backup: he can either help in generating red with his yellow power, fire his red in case Iron man is downed, and in some cases his black is more helpful than Iron man's (my Hulkbuster only generates 6 red AP, which means the black damage from Cyclops does more damage; ~5K or ~8K depending on the amount of red on the board, vs ~4K if fed into HB's red).

I like puzzling around with IW's invisibility; how to time it right, and how to get the most out of it. For example, if you anticipate a bomb reaching the bottom row in a few turns, it might be more useful to accelerate a few higher placed bombs down with it instead of trying to match them away, so you can 'ignore' their effects during one cast of IW's invisibility.
  • HaywireII
    HaywireII Posts: 568 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I ran the whole event (minus some team experimenting in the early rounds) with Hulkbuster, Carol Danvers, Starlord. All three are champed and HB and Carol are boosted for this event.

Basic strategy was to try to match away the bombs while building AP, no fancy tricks. If a bomb got close to the bottom row I'd fire Starlords purple if he had enough AP, otherwise Hulkbuster would take a hit. As soon as I had enough black AP Carol would put her countdown at the top of the board and let it slowly move down while generating strike tiles.

Most rounds I fired one Repulsor Punch and a Carol Black then Yellow to kill Ultron. Sometimes Carol fired Black twice. This team has had a 100% win rate and I got my Bag of Tricks token. Hulkbuster died on a few attempts and on one Starlord was the last man standing. I have no idea what team I would have used for this event if I hadn't champed Carol after the Bonus Hero feature dropped a ton of her covers in my lap.
  • Tiger_Wong
    Tiger_Wong Posts: 1,017 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    HB 5/4/4 lvl 229
    3* Captain Marvel 3/5/5 champ
    Gwen Pool 2/1/0

I try to make CM take the bomb hits to speed up HB. He's gonna do most of the damage as I get as much red and black as possible while matching bombs. Once I get 15-20 red, I'm firing repulsor punch. Ultron can't take it with even full health.

Gwen is for tile destruction. She can destroy anything, anywhere with the right code.
  • Sluggo
    Sluggo Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Initially, I used XFDP / IM40 / Ghost Rider as the rounds ramped up. You'd think IM40's Recharge would be hard to manage with the bottom dropping out each turn, but I was consistently able to get at least 2 of his CD's off each time. I'd Recharge, eat a bomb with XFDP, heal with XFDP's red, then finish off Ultron with GR's black.

This worked a few times into round 8, until I had a stretch of bad luck where cascades stacked bombs on top of each other, and the double bomb would kill GR in the collateral damage.

So I went full Penance Stare, using Hulkbuster, Iron Fist and Ghost Rider. Focus on generating and collecting black, eat one bomb with Hulkbuster, then use Penance Stare FTW. A little cheesy, but it's 15-0 in round 8 so far. (My alliance finished this morning and I'm just continuing for the heck of it.)

I also have an alt account that's using softcapped IM40 / GSBW / 3Cap (all around level 80 with 12-13 covers) with good success through round 6. Lots of tile removal with that group, haven't lost yet.
  • rg72
    rg72 Posts: 113 Tile Toppler
    Options
    HulkBuster 5/3/5 - level 280
    Sam Wilson:Captain America 5/3/5 - level 271
    Iron Fist 5/3/5 - level 199

Working well for me at the moment as just about to complete progression.
  • spatenfloot
    spatenfloot Posts: 660 Critical Contributor
    Options
    It is a bit funny that the best characters for this event are the old busted 4 stars: HB and Xpool
  • abominatrix
    abominatrix Posts: 221 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I just wanted to express my thanks to WalrusBrigade, who threw up the possibility of using IMHB, Switch and Gwenpool. My IMHB and Switch are champted, Gwen is 3/4/2. Worked like an absolute charm, and the puzzle aspect was cool.

With luck, I'll remember this team the next time they run this...