Lv53 Player: Any Reason to Play at Level 8 in Events?

Options
JarvisJackrabbit
JarvisJackrabbit Posts: 232 Tile Toppler
edited February 2017 in MPQ Tips and Guides
This is kind of a noob question, but since I'm the bottom of the experience requirement to play in the highest reward tier in events, is there any reason why I'd want to do that? The progression rewards are the same and placement rewards appear to be only slightly better at tier 8, but I would have virtually no chance of finishing well at that tier.

Would someone be so gracious as to inform me of what piece of this I might be missing? Thank you in advance!

Comments

• Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The top placement rewards are a bit better. Also, if you don't care about placement but just want progression rewards you might as well go for the highest slice available to get the best possible progression rewards.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    PVP? Zero reason.
    You'll never have a shot at T10 in either 7 or 8.

PVE? Always go for the highest CL.
  • JarvisJackrabbit
    Options
    That makes some sense. Honestly, I hadn't noticed there was any difference in the progression rewards, but man, it sure is minor.
  • JarvisJackrabbit
    Options
    Thanks, guys, I'll do tier 8 for the current event. Tried that in PVP and it went about as well as you'd imagine with a roster of champed 3*s, single covered 5*s, and no more than nine covers on any 4*s.
  • smoq84
    smoq84 Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I am rank 81 now and I never play CL8 in PvP icon_razz.gif

For PvP I use CL7 usually, for Season CL6, for PvE CL8.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Out of curiousity, what's the big advantage with slice 8 for PvE? I usually go to slice 7 for better placement, and I am curious what I am missing out on?
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'm a 575-and-out PVP player, so SCL5 suits me just fine. For PVE I go SCL7, because the difference in rewards is negligible.
  • fanghoul
    fanghoul Posts: 311 Mover and Shaker
    edited February 2017
    Options
    CNash wrote:
    I'm a 575-and-out PVP player, so SCL5 suits me just fine. For PVE I go SCL7, because the difference in rewards is negligible.

I'm about the same. SCL8 doesn't seem to exist to actually provide better rewards, but rather just to split up the population so that people still in SCL7 can actually get some of the placement rewards.

Stay in SCL7. SCL8 just means you get to compete with the most competitive people in the game and get fewer rewards as a result. Seriously, I've made top 10 in SCL7, and I play pretty suboptimally. Top 20 is more common for me, but still a benefit.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    smoq84 wrote:
    I am rank 81 now and I never play CL8 in PvP icon_razz.gif

For PvP I use CL7 usually, for Season CL6, for PvE CL8.

I keep stupidly joining SCL8 without looking in every event. Like others say, always for PVE - but PVP occasionally it would make more sense to go lower since I rarely worry about placement anyway.

Yet another thing that could be fixed by opening SCL9/10. Players should never ask "why don't I handicap myself for better chances?" (see also: soft-cappers)