120CP for that final 4* cover?

Options
BlackBoltRocks
BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,160 Chairperson of the Boards
edited February 2017 in MPQ Character Discussion
Yes, it's the obligatory "what do I do" post again!

Just bought 2 Classics, and they got me icon_x23.pnggreenflag.png and icon_jeangrey.pngblueflag.png. So now my X-23 is at 9/7/2, and Jean at 4/3/5.

I'm planning to save up 120CP to buy the last cover, but which X-Woman should i spend it on. Laura's purple, (which I will have to do within 2 weeks) and bring her to lv271, or Jean, which would allow me to champ her, but without a time limit since I don't have a spare cover for her in my grapevine?

Roster in signature. Thanks in advance for advice!

EDIT: Edited the title of this thread, since it has become about people asking which 4* cover they should spend 120CP on icon_lol.gif hopefully this thread can be a place for players to ask this exact question, like how the "You Last Legendary Draw" and the "Best/Worst Moments" have been ongoing haha

Comments

• VizMantis
    VizMantis Posts: 280 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Are you a pvp or pve focused player? If you're a pvp focused player, I'd say Jean, easy. She's not the powerhouse she once was, but her blue makes her great for going after tile spammy opponents or purple for cd producers. She's also a great team killer with her 2 AoEs when boosted. X-23 is kind of slow and not even that impressive boosted. She's resilient, but dragging out matches doesn't win them.

If you're pve focused, I'd still probably say Jean. She can't be beat for taking care of goons, and she's useful for clearing out those annoying bullseye protect tiles that drag matches. That being said, as a health pack hoarder, I use x23 more often. If you were a big daken/patch user in 3* land, then x23/deadpool is your 4* replacement.

Personally, I don't give much thought to whether I'm wasting a cover or not. I'd rather have a character I'll use and have fun with, over moving the bar o some 4* champ rwds by 1.

Tldr: I vote Jean
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Whomever you have the cover waiting for.

Because...

A: you will get a free LT by doing it.

And

B: the person with no cover waiting can wait with no penalty.

In regards to usefulness Jean is a little more useful but a combination of expensive powers and weak strength in the current meta and others doing the same but better and cheaper makes her less pressing in my opinion but you'll probably find my opinion is the minority there as the forum generally still thinks she's awesome.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Whomever you have the cover waiting for.

Because...

A: you will get a free LT by doing it.

And

B: the person with no cover waiting can wait with no penalty.

In regards to usefulness Jean is a little more useful but a combination of expensive powers and weak strength in the current meta and others doing the same but better and cheaper makes her less pressing in my opinion but you'll probably find my opinion is the minority there as the forum generally still thinks she's awesome.

This is definitely the right answer except when the character with a cover is rubbish, which X-23 isn't.

JG is still awesome, it just has more provisos now, such as playing a 4* roster and her being boosted. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Not to hijack but I'm having a similar problem where 1 want to buy one cover for either Teen Grey or Hulkbuster but I'm not sure which is better. They each have their strengths.

Both are 12 covers at 250. No covers waiting for either of them.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    OP: Jean. Not sure it's even close. I know people like X23 but she's not a top tier like Jean.

Anon wrote:
    Not to hijack but I'm having a similar problem where 1 want to buy one cover for either Teen Grey or Hulkbuster but I'm not sure which is better. They each have their strengths.

Whichever you have a cover waiting for first. Not a ton of difference between 250/270.
  • OneLastGambit
    Options
    Anon wrote:

Hulkbuster will be far more useful in my opinion.
  • Piro_plock
    Piro_plock Posts: 287 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Anon wrote:

If the roster in your sig is up to date, you might have a bit of a bias icon_e_wink.gif

JG is a PVE beast, HB shines in PVP. I wouldn't spend CP for the last cover unless you get one extra cover you can't use otherwise... And neither JG nor HB are top tier 4* anymore.
  • OneLastGambit
    Options
    Piro_plock wrote:
    Anon wrote:

If the roster in your sig is up to date, you might have a bit of a bias icon_e_wink.gif

JG is a PVE beast, HB shines in PVP. I wouldn't spend CP for the last cover unless you get one extra cover you can't use otherwise... And neither JG nor HB are top tier 4* anymore.

Lol it's out of date by about 6 months but even after champing half of the 4* tier my Jean grey is still missing pink covers but no worry for me as spider woman does the same thing but cheaper and I have her champed

Edit: just updated my roster
  • Piro_plock
    Piro_plock Posts: 287 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    my Jean grey is still missing pink covers but no worry for me as spider woman does the same thing but cheaper and I have her champed
    Well, for 2 more purple AP Jean also deals 4k AOE damage. That's way better than Love IMO.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Lol it's out of date by about 6 months but even after champing half of the 4* tier my Jean grey is still missing pink covers but no worry for me as spider woman does the same thing but cheaper and I have her champed

What do you think of champed spiderwoman anyway, I probably won't have enough iso for both and need to choose between her and War Machine in a few days as both have covers expiring.
  • kennn712
    kennn712 Posts: 69 Match Maker
    Options
    I'm in a similar position at the moment.

I have 1 JG and 1 Peggy in queue and have 12 covers for both. I'm willing to spend 120CP on one before the covers expire, but who? Any thoughts?
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    kennn712 wrote:

I have 1 JG and 1 Peggy in queue and have 12 covers for both. I'm willing to spend 120CP on one before the covers expire, but who? Any thoughts?

I'd say Peggy. She's probably the best 4* after Iceman.
  • kennn712
    Options
    Anon wrote:
    kennn712 wrote:

Thanks for the quick response icon_e_smile.gif I might add that I'm a 70/30 PvE to PvP player which may sway the end decision
  • DesertTortoise
    DesertTortoise Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    kennn712 wrote:
    Anon wrote:
    kennn712 wrote:

Thanks for the quick response icon_e_smile.gif I might add that I'm a 70/30 PvE to PvP player which may sway the end decision

Post your roster. In almost every circumstance I'd recommend Peggy but it does depend on who you have champed already.
  • kennn712
    Options
    kennn712 wrote:
    Anon wrote:
    kennn712 wrote:

Post your roster. In almost every circumstance I'd recommend Peggy but it does depend on who you have champed already.

My Gamependium roster is way out of date but my roster is 90% 3* champed

4* champs are: Cyke, IMHB, Iceman, X-23, Red Hulk, Nova, PunMAX, StarLord, IW & XFDP

My Peggy is 5/3/4 and JG is 2/5/5 which gives my next Peggy cover 67% chance usable compared to Jean's 33%

No 5* have any ISO put into them
  • DesertTortoise
    DesertTortoise Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Peggy no question. Peggy/Iceman/IM40 (or Red Hulk in place of Iceman) will plow through virtually any PvE event even unboosted. The only hesitation I have is that it's annoying there's two different Peggy covers that will get you there but only one Jean one. I'm a gambler so I'd probably hold out on spending 120 CP but you're going to do very well with your roster having Peggy.
  • kennn712
    Options
    Hmm edited the title of this thread, since it has become about people asking which 4* cover they should spend 120CP on icon_lol.gif hopefully this thread can be a place for players to ask this exact question, like how the "You Last Legendary Draw" and the "Best/Worst Moments" have been ongoing haha

Anyway, useless update on my side: currently on 34k points after the 2nd sub of Unstable Iso-8. Once i hit the 15CP progression at 44k, i'll be up to 59CP! My X-23 cover expires in 10 days 19 hours, so I'm making good progress.

In BoP i was using my 4/3/5 Jean, and she was an absolute monster. Both X-23 and Jean offer active purples and greens, which are scarce among my 4* champs. My only purple champs are Nick Fury, Kingpin, and Starlord, while my only green champs are IW and Quake. Plus I have Hulkbuster, Nova and Cyclops champed, all of which go well with those two X-Women. Hmm...decisions, decisions.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread! icon_razz.gif

I do plan on using my next 120CP on JG/Peggy (whoever I don't champ in the next week or so). It's just a matter of who I champ first!
  • OneLastGambit
    Options
    Crowl wrote:

What do you think of champed spiderwoman anyway, I probably won't have enough iso for both and need to choose between her and War Machine in a few days as both have covers expiring.

She's excellent in my opinion and a thorn in the side for any team using tile transformers or board movers and her black is the best defensive move run the game. This makes her a genuinely viable opponent. For Phoenix and im45
  • OneLastGambit
    Options
    Question: let's say you can only champ either Iceman or Jean Grey, not both. Who would you pick, and why?

Very convoluted but actually not complicated backstory in the tags:
    so my lv166 4/3/5 Jean (yes, the same one in my OP) has two green covers dying on the vine in 8.5 and 12 days respectively. I currently have 193k iso and 29CP, and I'm planning, or rather hoping, to get 120CP and enough iso to champ Jean and use those two covers (worst case scenario, only one cover).

From my season heroic 10-pack, i somehow got icon_iceman.pngpurpleflag.pngblueflag.png to bring my lv115 Bobby to 4/5/4. He doesn't have any covers dying on the vine, so i can take my time to build up another 366k iso to champ him, but that would take another month or so.

So yes, I know I can champ both of them (eventually), but just wondering if I should prioritise Iceman over Jean, especially as he will be boosted soon

Iceman without a doubt. Jean is only useful boosted in PVP (though useful always in pve) and even that is debatable. Iceman is flat out awesome at all times. I can promise you that you will never regret it.