** Magneto (Marvel NOW!) ** [PRE 2015-03]

Comments

• Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    He was the last 2* character I got - when I got him I already had 3*s I was using regularly - but trying him out boosted makes me think I may want to give him a chance.
    mine is only 30th level, and actually still needs a blue cover, but I may try leveling him up down the line.

He's a very, very good support character, as more and more characters' are released I think he will find his place, as it is now, his purple blue AP generator really only works with other support champs save IM40, so if we start getting more champs, beefier, attacking champs, I see his value rising. If you can get his red to go off, it is huge damage, his blue IMO is underwhelming, I went 3/5/5, there are debates for 4/5/4 but I don't like high valued countdown tiles if you go 3/5/5 the blue is 2 countdown and red is 1, if you go 4/5/4 blue goes to 3 countdown but your red stays cheaper APwise. I want max damage and low countdown tiles regardless of AP cost and 3/5/5 does that for me. Magneto does play nice with IM40, anything that can charge your Blue faster is good in my book and Magneto can at least get you 5-15 blue depending on the board but since my lineup doesn't always allow that, I find otherways. But trust me beyond trust, OBW 3/5/5, Classic Storm 5/5/3, and Magneto MN 3/5/5, once they get the train rolling are a huge lockdown machine. OBW, builds purple faster with her +1 steal, which lets Magneto use purple to generate massive blue and an extra turn and who knows what else with cascase, Storm can stun, or use green and generate even more AP, which feeds OBW and Magneto, you use the spare Red on Magneto, the only wasted color is yellow, it completely shuts down AI, espcially with 3/5/5 OBW, because she can extend timers.
  • So he's buffed for the next PvE, have him 3/5/5 but don't jnow if it's worth it to put some ISO into him....
  • So he's buffed for the next PvE, have him 3/5/5 but don't jnow if it's worth it to put some ISO into him....

His red deals a ton of damage in this event. Unfortunately, his other two skills don't scale with buffs, so meh.
  • Celerity wrote:
    So he's buffed for the next PvE, have him 3/5/5 but don't jnow if it's worth it to put some ISO into him....

His red deals a ton of damage in this event. Unfortunately, his other two skills don't scale with buffs, so meh.

Well, his pink is a blue battery for spidey, that's always good. Mine's at level 6, so it might not be worth it to level him just for the 9 day event
  • Phaserhawk
    Celerity wrote:
    So he's buffed for the next PvE, have him 3/5/5 but don't jnow if it's worth it to put some ISO into him....

Well, his pink is a blue battery for spidey, that's always good. Mine's at level 6, so it might not be worth it to level him just for the 9 day event

It's worth it just for the extra HP. Having had to play him now the last two events, (my C. Mags is only 1/1/1) I've been leveling him, started at lvl 40 3/5/5, got him up to about 60 right now and he's wrecking. That Red is amazing, 1 countdown, BOOM!!!, chunk of the board gone and you get AP, dang. I may have found a new decent support
  • I was wondering which character it was that destroys the whole board and crushed my team.... Turns out it's this guy.
  • I'm loving this guy with my maxed Patch/Spidey. Get 9 Green and 9 Purple and let Patch's Berserker Rage go follow that up with a Polarity Shift and try to get match 3s that now does 1K damage each match 3 without any cascades. Stun with Spidey, rinse and repeat.

With lucky cascades I've had Magneto's Polarity Shift do over 10K damage and wipe out entire teams.

He's replacing Punisher in my three character team for all but the 20K HP boosted characters.

EDIT: His red is good for longer battles where Wolvies red won't eliminate the last character to generate lots of ISO.
  • This character is a self sustaining machine thats great even if his whole team drops. His best asset outside of his own comeback factor is the fact that he is a Blue Battery and that is very rare. Pare him with Classic Storm, Spiderman, Dr. Doom...just so many options. Great character and really builds some super teams.
  • Phaserhawk
    Celerity wrote:

How does he not scale with buffs. All his tile damage is increased which thus increases the damage of his blue and purple
  • radav
    radav Posts: 117 Tile Toppler
    Wow! I wish I had known about him sooner he's amazing! I thought Spidey plus Original Black Widow was pretty sweet. I'm actually liking this pairing more. I still need to get some of the purple covers to make this as good as it could be.
  • Phaserhawk
    Magneto MN was the first guy I for some reason got tons of covers for and ended up building two versions. I had him 4/5/4 and currently use 3/5/5. I can say with 100% confidence that 3/5/5 is the best build. While I was able to cast his red ability more often, it didn't generate much AP because of the blast radius, but having blue at 3 instead of 4 is 1000% better, while it still gets destroyed a fair number of times, it was terrible as a 3CD timer, 2 is actually playable, for that reason alone 3/5/5 is better.

In a perfect world 1/5/4 is probably the best build, but if you want him maxed out, and want him playable with 3 useable colors, so 3/5/5
  • Phaserhawk wrote:
    Magneto MN was the first guy I for some reason got tons of covers for and ended up building two versions. I had him 4/5/4 and currently use 3/5/5. I can say with 100% confidence that 3/5/5 is the best build. While I was able to cast his red ability more often, it didn't generate much AP because of the blast radius, but having blue at 3 instead of 4 is 1000% better, while it still gets destroyed a fair number of times, it was terrible as a 3CD timer, 2 is actually playable, for that reason alone 3/5/5 is better.

In a perfect world 1/5/4 is probably the best build, but if you want him maxed out, and want him playable with 3 useable colors, so 3/5/5

Thanks for the advice. It's good to hear from someone who has had experience with both builds since that's rare in these pre-respec days. I went 3/5/5 (actually, only have his purple at 4 now, but will be going 3/5/5) and I like it for the reasons you mentioned - the best balance of countdown timers with effects. Red's ability to generate AP makes it a winner over Blue for me, and as nice as resetting the board could be, the damage on tiles alone isn't that spectacular.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm starting to grow fond of the guy, and have been recommending him to noobies. I didn't realize how crazy his purple ability was, and I think that C. Storm/MN Mags is a pretty damn effective 2* composition now (Thor/MN Mags/C. Storm is perfectly comparable to Wolvie/Widow/Thor now).
  • hurcules
    hurcules Posts: 519
    What is his max health at L85? If he is not buffed, will he be very squishy?
  • hurcules wrote:
    What is his max health at L85? If he is not buffed, will he be very squishy?
    3560 so medium squishiness.
  • Phaserhawk wrote:

I also had one at 5/4/4 before I knew his red generated AP and while the level 5 blue looked cool it rarely worked. I rebuilt one as 3/5/5 and this is the best build in my opinion also.
  • I went for 454 as I rarely use blue (prefer healing from OBW) and I don't want red to be so costly. works wonders.
  • Phaserhawk
    Emeryt wrote:
    I went for 454 as I rarely use blue (prefer healing from OBW) and I don't want red to be so costly. works wonders.

I played that build, and yes if you don't plan on using blue, it's great, but.....I don't like gimping my characters. How many times have your top guys been knocked out and you are left with your support. All of a sudden you need that blue skill and you won't have time for it to go off, for that reason alone I went 3/5/5. Getting AP is much easier than waiting another turn hoping they don't destroy your tile.
  • Right you have to bear in mind that the number of tiles he destroys with his red/blue depends on how far from the edge the tile is. And also, crucially, the length of the countdown has a huge impact on the probability on the chances of the tile triggering. I've been doing some number crunching (rounded to one decimal point).

Red Lvl 3-4
    Range of tiles destroyed: 4-9
    Mean average of tiles destroyed: 7.6
    Median average of tiles destroyed: 9
    Chance of maximum tiles being destroyed: 56.3%

Red Lvl 5
    Range of tiles destroyed: 9-25
    Mean average of tiles destroyed: 18.1
    Median average of tiles destroyed: "18" (16/20)
    Chance of maximum tiles being destroyed: 25.0%

Blue Lvl 1
    Range of tiles destroyed: 3-8
    Mean average of tiles destroyed: 6.6
    Median average of tiles destroyed: 8
    Chance of maximum tiles being destroyed: 56.3%

Blue Lvl 2
    Range of tiles destroyed: 5-12
    Mean average of tiles destroyed: 9.6
    Median average of tiles destroyed: "10.5" (10/11)

Blue Lvl 3
    Range of tiles destroyed: 7-20
    Mean average of tiles destroyed: 14.8
    Median average of tiles destroyed: "15.5" (14/17)

Blue Lvl 4
    Range of tiles destroyed: 10-28
    Mean average of tiles destroyed: 19.6
    Median average of tiles destroyed: "19" (17/21)
    Chance of maximum tiles being destroyed: 6.3% (same as its minimum!)

The contrast between his red and blue is huge. Red does damage, and gets promoted to generating AP and having a 1-turn cooldown. Blue is scarcely worth leveling - the countdown increases are killer, with the higher AP costs being an additional kick in the teeth for such marginal benefits. You pay extra AP to make it more likely the skill won't even go off!

Obviously you have some control over when you cast the skill, so you can manage your chances somewhat. But I can understand why some say that 2-5-5 is his best build. Is it worth upping his blue to level 3? You double its countdown and pay 2 extra AP just to destroy an average of 5 extra tiles (not 8!). It also restricts your ability to use your red. If you just see the purpose of his blue as a way to shake up a stagnant board, maybe get some cascades or clear a few enemy tiles... well such random chaos is better done cheaply and quickly.
  • I've found it really helpful on minion fights to use him because once you get his blue (@5) and purple going it's quite easy to chain his blue. Meaning it'll wipe the board every 4 turns which is faster than the majority of countdown tiles generated by enemies given you are starting from a clean board.
This discussion has been closed.