Arlinn Kord: Official Thread

Alve
Alve Posts: 167 Tile Toppler
edited March 2020 in Planeswalker Details

manaredpngmanagreenpng Arlinn Kord manaredpngmanagreenpng

(At Level 60)
+0 manawhitepng | +0 manabluepng | +0 manablackpng | +4 manaredpng | +4 managreenpng 
114 HP
Creatures: 7 | Supports: 6 | Spells: 6

Abilities

Strength of the Wolf - Cost 6
Level 1 - Target creature you control gets +1/+1, Haste, Trample and Berserker until the end of your turn.
Level 2 - Target creature you control gets +2/+2, Haste, Trample and Berserker until the end of your turn.
Level 3 - Target creature you control gets +3/+3, Haste, Trample and Berserker until the end of your turn.
Level 4 - Target creature you control gets +4/+4, Haste, Trample and Berserker until the end of your turn.

Call the Pack - Cost 9
Level 1 - Fetch the first Werewolf or Wolf creature from your library. If you can't fetch the first Creature card instead.
Level 2 - ...Werewolf or Wolf creature from your library. If you can't, fetch the first Creature card instead. It gains 3 mana.
Level 3 - ...Werewolf or Wolf creature from your library. If you can't fetch the first Creature card instead. It gains 6 mana.
Level 4 - ...Werewolf or Wolf creature from your library. If you can't fetch the first Creature card instead. It gains 9 mana.

Touch of the Moon - Cost 12
Level 1 - Your Werewolf and Wolf creatures get +1/+1. Then, Transform Arlinn Kord.
Level 2 - Your Werewolf and Wolf creatures get +2/+2Create a Touch of the Moon Token. Then, Transform Arlinn Kord.
Level 3 - Your Werewolf and Wolf creatures get +3/+3. Create a Touch of the Moon Token. Then, Transform Arlinn Kord.
Level 4 - Your Werewolf and Wolf creatures get +4/+4. Create a Touch of the Moon Token. Then, Transform Arlinn Kord.

Token

Touch of the Moon
[Red, Green] Support Card Token: While this support is on the board, creatures you control gain the Werewolf subtype.

manaredpngmanagreenpng Arlinn, Embraced By The Moon manaredpngmanagreenpng

Abilities

Moon's Embrace - Cost 3
Level 1 - Target Werewolf or Wolf creature you control gets +1/+1.
Level 2 - Target Werewolf or Wolf creature you control gets +1/+1. Then, transform it.
Level 3 - Target Werewolf or Wolf creature you control gets +2/+2Then, transform it.
Level 4 - Target Werewolf or Wolf creature you control gets +3/+3Then, transform it.

Hunt with the Pack - Cost 12
Level 1 - Your first Werewolf or Wolf creature deals damage equal to its power to the first opposing creature.
Level 2 - ...deals damage equal to its power to the first opposing creature. If you can't create 2 Werewolf Tokens instead.
Level 3 - ...deals damage equal to its power to the first opposing creature. If you can't create 3 Werewolf Tokens instead.
Level 4 - ...deals damage equal to its power to the first opposing creature. If you can't create 4 Werewolf Tokens instead.

Lycanthropic Frenzy - Cost 18
Level 1 - Your Werewolf and Wolf creatures get +4/+4. Then, Transform Arlinn Kord.
Level 2 - Your Werewolf and Wolf creatures get +6/+6. Then, Transform Arlinn Kord.
Level 3 - Your Werewolf and Wolf creatures get +8/+8. Then, Transform Arlinn Kord.
Level 4 - Your Werewolf and Wolf creatures get +10/+10. Then, Transform Arlinn Kord.

Token

Werewolf
2/2 Creature with Berserker and Trample

Cost to Max Level: 160,730 runes

Post your decks and tips for this Planeswalker below!
-----
Old Abilities and Stats
Level 60 mana bonuses: manawhitepng | +3 managreenpng | +3 manaredpng | manablackpng | manabluepng

2: Call the Pack - cost: 9
1 - Fetch the next Werewolf in your deck.
2 - Fetch the next Werewolf in your deck and it gains 3 mana.
3 - Fetch the next Werewolf in your deck and it gains 6 mana.
4 - Fetch the next Werewolf in your deck and it gains 9 mana.

3: Touch of the Moon - cost: 12
1 - Each Werewolf you control gets +1/+1, Arlinn Kord Transforms
2 - Each Werewolf you control gets +2/+2, Arlinn Kord Transforms
3 - Each Werewolf you control gets +3/+3, Arlinn Kord Transforms
4 - Each Werewolf you control gets +4/+4, Arlinn Kord Transforms

managreenpngmanaredpngArlinn, Embraced by the Moon

1: Moon's Embrace - cost: 3
1 - Target werewolf transforms.
2 - Target werewolf transforms, gets +1/+1.
3 - Target werewolf transforms, gets +2/+2.
4 - Target werewolf transforms, gets +3/+3.

2: Hunt with the Pack - cost: 12
1 - Summon 1 2/2 Werewolf with Berserker and Trample.
2 - Summon 2 2/2 Werewolves with Berserker and Trample.
3 - Summon 3 2/2 Werewolves with Berserker and Trample.
4 - Summon 4 2/2 Werewolves with Berserker and Trample.

3: Lycanthrophic Frenzy - cost: 18
1 - Each Werewolf you control gets +4/+4, Arlinn Kord Transforms
2 - Each Werewolf you control gets +6/+6, Arlinn Kord Transforms
3 - Each Werewolf you control gets +8/+8, Arlinn Kord Transforms
4 - Each Werewolf you control gets +10/+10, Arlinn Kord Transforms

Comments

• Alve
    Alve Posts: 167 Tile Toppler
  • Skidoo
    Skidoo Posts: 71 Match Maker
    This is a Budget Build.

Arlinn is a middling walker, especially for being dual-color, but I have fun playing her. You don't need Rares/Mythics to make her work, though a few key cards won't hurt.

I build my Arlinn deck around 2 Key Cards - Neglected Heirloom which is an uncommon support and Sage of Ancient Lore which is a rare Werewolf. As I said, you can build an effective Arlinn deck without rares, but the Sage is very helpful because he grows faster than any other Werewolf, so he's usually your heavy hitter.

KEY CARD: Neglected Heirloom adds a permanent +2/+2 every time a creature transforms. There are several werewolves that Transform back and forth from human to wolf form regularly, including the Sage. I routinely get 3 Werewolves into the double digits this way, while the Sage can often reach into the 20s & 30s.

CREATURES: I use just 4 creatures that transform every time 0 cards are played and every time 2 cards are played. This happens quite frequently. Arlinn' fourth ability, Moon's Embrace also allows you to transform a target Werewolf for just 3 loyalty.
    Sage of Ancient Lore (R). In most games the Sage will be your heavy hitter because he has his own growth mechanism in addition to the Heirloom.
    Village Messenger (U). The Messenger has the added benefit of Menace in wolf form, which proves useful against creatures w defender/vigilance, allowing him to avoid getting picked off before he has a few turns to grow bigger.
    Gatstaf Arsonists (C).
    Lamboldt Pacifist (U).
    • There are other creatures w the same transformation mechanic, but I use these 4 and don't want to look the others up right now. Just know that there are other choices that combo well w the Heirloom.
    SUPPORTS & SPELLS: After the Heirloom, the next most useful spell/support is Inner Struggle (U) for cheap removal. At a cost of 6, it's at least as useful or moreso than some rare alternatives.

Beyond these 6 cards, fill your remaining 4 slots w the best Ramp, Removal, Buffs in your collection. Tamiyos Journal is a rare colorless support that helps the Sage grow twice as fast.

EDIT - Added Tamiyos Journal recommendation.
  • hawkyh1
    hawkyh1 Posts: 780 Critical Contributor
    I normally only use 1-2 werewolves including village messenger.
    this makes better use of arlinn's 2nd ability. uncaged fury is
    useful.

HH
  • Monkeynutts
    Monkeynutts Posts: 566 Critical Contributor
    I find if you dont have Olivia and Ulrich shes awful. No evasion.
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,934 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah unfortunately if you don't have a mythic red Werewolf she's not going to do a lot for you that any other green pw can.
  • GregDreher
    GregDreher Posts: 100 Tile Toppler
    One thing I've found with Arlinn Kord is you can skimp on removal, since her first ability gives Berserker to one of your creature. But normally, I just play three werewolves, buff them by transforming Arlinn Kord, and win the game (Arlinn, Embraced by the Moon's transform ability ends up being overkill).
  • Falizar
    Falizar Posts: 70 Match Maker
    http://i.imgur.com/PKyeNco.jpg

Fun time with Rashmi, Eternities Crafter and Harness the Storm.
  • EZryeder
    EZryeder Posts: 1 Just Dropped In
    My favorite PW. Zada and Cultivator og Blades together are awesome. Throw in Ulrich and a bunch of triggers for Zada. Zada adds to Cultivator who then adds her power to everyone. I have Ulrich bc he adds 4 to Cultivator.
  • Nuwisha
    Nuwisha Posts: 20 Just Dropped In
    She was my favorite PW, then the standard thing suck it up!!!
  • Gilesclone
    Gilesclone Posts: 735 Critical Contributor
    She's my go PW for training grounds.  It's great to grab all the red matches before Koth can.
  • Ciotog
    Ciotog Posts: 77 Match Maker

I know this has been discussed in other threads but I don't remember ever seeing an official response.

Any chance that Arlinn's abilities are going to get re-vamped to account for standard?  Been goofing around with her lately and it would help if any other of her abilities would function.  I'd be happy if just her 3rd ability would trigger without a werewolf on the field.  At least that would open up her token generating ability. I'd be ecstatic if her first ability would grant the werewolf sub-type on top of what it already does. 

• sjechua
    sjechua Posts: 173 Tile Toppler
    Not likely, we will probably get the new Samut planeswalker in Red-Green instead
  • Demsu
    Demsu Posts: 22 Just Dropped In
    All they would need to do is to update her wording. The tutoring ability could fetch any creature, but only give mana to werewolves and wolves. Her ultimate could give non-wolf creatures smaller buff, +2/+2 for example.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    *Updated article to reflect the new reworked abilities and stats