Matchmaking deck selection

Options
Ohboy
Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
edited February 2017 in MtGPQ General Discussion
With the recent hints dropped regarding marchmaking being tweaked to only include event walkers, I think it's appropriate to also discuss what decks those walkers actually hold.

I ran into two strange decks today in NOP. These were decks that usually poses more of a challenge than spending the entire game casting ramp supports and other nonsensical cards.

I hope that when the Matchmaking is being tweaked, the devs will consider letting the Ai only use the decks that players actually use in the event, and not what is currently stored in the deck when the algorithm looks up the planewalker.

In the spirit of pitting event decks against event decks, the small selected pool of players the game chooses to use as opponents should not have the option of soft playing or trolling opponents by changing their decks after they have cleared their nodes.

Comments

• Szamsziel
    Szamsziel Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I would love to see sideboard feature. Just select the few cards you will be able to switch after seeing opponent to tweak the deck. But it should be like 2-3 cards. And any other changes should not be permitted.
  • Astralwind
    Astralwind Posts: 98 Match Maker
    Options
    I played the same opponent and the very same deck 2 or 3 times for the Angel's Embrace event.
    Matchmaking is still not working as intended.
    And I agree we should be playing against decks locked into the nodes and not those other planewalkers sitting in the dust.
    I think it's going to be hard for the developers to track which were the cards submitted for the event and which ones were changed halfway through the event.
    Afterall, mid-way through the event, there's a chance somebody needs to optimize their decks further.
    Even if the developers were to register the cards submitted during node lock in, it is possible to also submit a troll deck during the lock-in and then have the cards changed to the proper ones to play through the event.
  • PastrySpider
    PastrySpider Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I think that editing decks during the event should be allowed but you play against the last deck actually used on a node, not the current state of the deck. Deck slots will make it incredibly easy to make decks entirely designed to make others fail the objectives (white/blue decks that are all board wipes and kill spells in white node NOP). Its actually totally doable right now, its just time consuming and annoying to switch back.
  • Nitymp
    Nitymp Posts: 320 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I think that editing decks during the event should be allowed but you play against the last deck actually used on a node, not the current state of the deck. Deck slots will make it incredibly easy to make decks entirely designed to make others fail the objectives (white/blue decks that are all board wipes and kill spells in white node NOP). Its actually totally doable right now, its just time consuming and annoying to switch back.

Not to mention that there's no point in me doing it because no one ever plays against me!
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Astralwind wrote:
    I played the same opponent and the very same deck 2 or 3 times for the Angel's Embrace event.
    Matchmaking is still not working as intended.
    And I agree we should be playing against decks locked into the nodes and not those other planewalkers sitting in the dust.
    I think it's going to be hard for the developers to track which were the cards submitted for the event and which ones were changed halfway through the event.
    Afterall, mid-way through the event, there's a chance somebody needs to optimize their decks further.
    Even if the developers were to register the cards submitted during node lock in, it is possible to also submit a troll deck during the lock-in and then have the cards changed to the proper ones to play through the event.

Instead of saving decks at lock in, save on game start. Can be overwritten only when player plays a new event game.

Only problem is at the start of the event, which can be solved by devs seeding the first few ai opponents with appropriate decks.