Your game is becoming less and less fun....

Options
Feyda
Feyda Posts: 105
edited February 2017 in MtGPQ General Discussion
I know I am not the only one who feels this way. Recently, it feels like the developers are actively trying to find ways to kill the fun in this game.

1.) New mechanics are either underwhelming or downright irritating - Energize is not particularly fun, most of the overload effects are either underwhelming, or require a crazy amount of energized gems to be on the board to be reliably effective. Fabricate is probably the single most irritating mechanic in the game, on the players side it is under powered as all get out, as a boss mechanic, nothing is quite as irritating as the AI spewing out 2+ servos per turn for free and then having to sit and wait for the animations to go off for every single servo to animate to the bottom creature each time the first creature is killed or the creature order changes. Not to mention that on lower end devices, these mechanics both tend to cause slowdowns and crashes.

2.) Objectives are frustrating and luck based - One of the key things that drew me into this game was the idea of building my deck power and creating monstrous planeswalkers with decks that are fun to play. Instead, we get shoe horned more and more into annoying objectives like the new (summon 5 vehicles) or get screwed by luck based objectives such as take less than 10 damage (hello Olivia flying hasted 11 damage autofail). Worst objective offender is end match with under 20 hp.... You better pray the AI doesn't pull off a miracle cascade and nail you with bacon / olivia / GR (this was at least conceivable with a solid Ob Nix build, but now oh joy they've extended it to be a red objective in the new event).

3.) PVE events are far too difficult for all but the top geared players. Node 3.3 was absolutely insane, most of my coalition couldn't come close to beating him. If you didn't have pay to win cards like Gisela and Olivia, your options became severely limited and luck based.

4.) Mythics are too hard to obtain and getting even harder - Drop rates from packs are pathetic and only the top 10 coalitions have a reliable way to obtain mythic cards. I was getting to the point where I could start posting perfect scores in events when they introduced the stupid luck based objectives. The luck aspect, combined with the cheater issues make individual rewards highly unlikely.

5.) FUN events like double mana gain and no secondary objectives offer only lackluster rewards like uncommon and rares. That and these events are few and far between.

If things don't start changing soon, I don't see myself playing this game much longer....

Comments

• voodoo_gremlin
    voodoo_gremlin Posts: 61 Match Maker
    Options
    I agree with all your points but 4. Personally, I'm pulling more rares and mythics since the beginning of the year.
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    My group of coalitions lost 3 players because of the RAC event.

I've had to beg a few more to stay.

Games should be fun -- this game is just beating people down.
  • Feyda
    Options
    Lets add some more to the list....

6.) Little to no Quality Assurance and lousy Customer Support - I just started the Fate is Rarely Fair (could you have come up with a MORE appropriate title?). I didn't even care about trying to compete due to luck based objectives and annoying summon 5 vehicle objective, I was just going to get my progression rewards and call it good. Fired up the blue node on my Saheeli and BOOM! "Something Went Wrong" automatic loss... Ok so whatever... finishes loading back to the main menu and loe and behold, all 3 of my blue node charges are now gone. I supposed I COULD put in a ticket, wait a week for them to reply and ask for information I already provided in the opening ticket then wait another week to be told sorry nothing we can do but why bother?
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,940 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Even though I don't 100% have the experience you do, myself and my coalition members have enough of your same experience to say this is very indicative of the overall player experience, Feyda.
  • tiaxotrax
    tiaxotrax Posts: 20 Just Dropped In
    Options
    My biggest complaint is running multiple events some times as many as 3 seperate events. (nodes of power, angels, and return of gatewatch) at the same time with most of them ending at the same time and the last set of turns popping up 2 hours before the event ends.

this comes from the change they made 2 or 3 months ago when they decided to start the events with 1 less turn initially and the countdown to the next start having 2 hours shaved off it. (why this was deemed most intelligent i'm not sure.) but now it results in a 2 hour block just before the event ends where you get 1 more turn with each planeswalker in the event. depending on where you live this time slot can be from 5-7 am in the morning (PST) or 8-10 am in the morning (EST) when most North and South american people are sleeping or at work where they shouldn't play games. Or it's mid afternoon if you're lucky enough to be in europe asia africa area.

The previous way wasn't perfect. and it did result in some people feeling they didn't get all their turns or not being able to reach top of the leader board because others were using emulators to complete their battles faster on the first turn thus resulting in max points 2-10 minutes before others 8 hours before the event ended. (actually 7 hours 59 minutes and a few odd seconds)

but it did allow a 7 to 8 hour window in which to use your final turns so you could manage to do it before bed or after wake up or on lunch depending on when your timezone fell. now unless you are dedicated or lucky enough to have your 2 hour window before the match ends at a convenient time you are doomed to not only not get the max score but also to not even finish all your turns in most events. before the change to event times my coalition had 100% participation and generally sat in the top 100. sometimes as high as the top 25. now due to stress and life we are down to 50% participation and only about 30% get max points. the other 20% tend to miss the entire last round of play.

I think if the events were moved back to a 24 hour play window instead of a 22 hour window that the game would improved. I think the coders went for a quick fix and said instead of changing the code for how extra turns are awarded we will simply start the timer at X time end the event 24 hours later and not allow players to enter until X plus 2. And so a simple change would be to leave that code in place and instead have the events run for 26 hours.

We the players would see a 24 hour event.
    There would be a 4 hour window in which to use the final turn
    There would still be no extra turn gained as all the extra battles are at 4-8 hour intervals.
    This would reduce a great amount of stress for the North and South american players as to not losing sleep/driving distracted/ or impeding their work flow.

This ends my rant. and I hope it improves the game.
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    tiaxotrax wrote:
    My biggest complaint is running multiple events some times as many as 3 seperate events. (nodes of power, angels, and return of gatewatch) at the same time with most of them ending at the same time and the last set of turns popping up 2 hours before the event ends.

this comes from the change they made 2 or 3 months ago when they decided to start the events with 1 less turn initially and the countdown to the next start having 2 hours shaved off it. (why this was deemed most intelligent i'm not sure.) but now it results in a 2 hour block just before the event ends where you get 1 more turn with each planeswalker in the event. depending on where you live this time slot can be from 5-7 am in the morning (PST) or 8-10 am in the morning (EST) when most North and South american people are sleeping or at work where they shouldn't play games. Or it's mid afternoon if you're lucky enough to be in europe asia africa area.

The previous way wasn't perfect. and it did result in some people feeling they didn't get all their turns or not being able to reach top of the leader board because others were using emulators to complete their battles faster on the first turn thus resulting in max points 2-10 minutes before others 8 hours before the event ended. (actually 7 hours 59 minutes and a few odd seconds)

but it did allow a 7 to 8 hour window in which to use your final turns so you could manage to do it before bed or after wake up or on lunch depending on when your timezone fell. now unless you are dedicated or lucky enough to have your 2 hour window before the match ends at a convenient time you are doomed to not only not get the max score but also to not even finish all your turns in most events. before the change to event times my coalition had 100% participation and generally sat in the top 100. sometimes as high as the top 25. now due to stress and life we are down to 50% participation and only about 30% get max points. the other 20% tend to miss the entire last round of play.

I think if the events were moved back to a 24 hour play window instead of a 22 hour window that the game would improved. I think the coders went for a quick fix and said instead of changing the code for how extra turns are awarded we will simply start the timer at X time end the event 24 hours later and not allow players to enter until X plus 2. And so a simple change would be to leave that code in place and instead have the events run for 26 hours.

We the players would see a 24 hour event.
    There would be a 4 hour window in which to use the final turn
    There would still be no extra turn gained as all the extra battles are at 4-8 hour intervals.
    This would reduce a great amount of stress for the North and South american players as to not losing sleep/driving distracted/ or impeding their work flow.

This ends my rant. and I hope it improves the game.

I'm not sure I follow. In the old system, you had a 4 hour window to do the last charge. In the new one, you have a 6 hour window.
  • Feyda
    Options
    7.) Objectives force you to cripple your own decks but you wind up facing full power decks designed for wins instead of objectives.
  • Steeme
    Steeme Posts: 784 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Feyda wrote:
    7.) Objectives force you to cripple your own decks but you wind up facing full power decks designed for wins instead of objectives.

See my thread https://d3go.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=59490

I tried to blend a little humour and cheesy poetry into my post. It's the least I could do considering this has been a glaring issue with events since, well, inception.