The Cost of Bad Events

Options
bk1234
bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
edited February 2017 in MtGPQ General Discussion
As almost everyone knows, I co-manage several coalitions -- 5 to be exact, three competitive (top 15). Of the 100 people I manage, I can tell you who they play for, what their average scores look like, in many cases which country they live in and what their strongest PW is. I know them all, I love playing this game with them -- our Discord community is fun and informative -- we have some of the best players in the game who have great conversations about strategy and deck building. So I get pretty upset when yet another untested, broken, unbalanced event is released and I start getting the "I'm quitting" messages.

I don't think Hibernum realizes the comradery that has resulted from coalition play -- or the cost of losing a teammate who you know, respect and have played with for a long time. It hurts the self esteem of the entire team.

People can always be replaced -- but when a team is together for a long time, it's not just people, these become your friends.

This game is now 14 months old. We could forgive questionably tested content a year ago -- it's not so forgivable now.

As a community of players, I think it's time for us to stop putting up with broken, untested content. They do this event after event, feature after feature and we complain a bit and then open our wallets.

Though I'm not one of the biggest spenders in this game, I have always spent a little here and there because I think it's important to give back. I'm not doing that anymore. I'm not spending another penny on this game until I see that my money is actually being used for stable releases and that the company profiting from my purchases actually cares about the community and takes the feedback of the player base seriously.

PS: If you're looking for a fun, engaged top 10/15 coalition, We've got a couple spots open. PM me.

Comments

• Mana Burn
    Options
    bken1234 wrote:
    I'm not spending another penny on this game until I see that my money is actually being used for stable releases and that the company profiting from my purchases actually cares about the community and takes the feedback of the player base seriously.

That's where I'm at too right now. I think it's a weird situation where, if you spend more money the developers won't do anything extra with it. They just figure "Hey, people are buying stuff. We don't have to change anything." Whereas, if we all actually boycotted, they might start implementing better features left and right...

All I know is: Aetherworks Marvel, Dynavolt Tower, Mechanized Production, Planar Bridge, and Rishkar's Expertise were all unable to be purchased or opened in packs. Depala, Pilot Exemplar was $30... That right there tells me these guys have absolutely no idea what they're doing when it comes to making money.

As far as the game's development goes, it's like that video shteev posted on here a few months ago where the game designers just keep piling on new content and never worry about balancing old game elements or fixing the underlying fundamentals of the game's infrastructure. If shteev's out there he can remind me the term the video used.
  • Sorin81
    Sorin81 Posts: 545 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I hate to see that happen. I hate that a game that has the potential to be so great is so broken that it is driving good players away. I don't know these people but I know that if they are anything like me they have invested a lot of time (not to mention money) in this game and it can't be an easy thing to just walk away. I'm sure from post I've read that we all feel the same frustrations and I have to agree that it's time for the community to show Hibernum and D3 that we won't stand idly by while they drive away our fellow players.
  • buscemi
    buscemi Posts: 673 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Mana Burn wrote:
    As far as the game's development goes, it's like that video shteev posted on here a few months ago where the game designers just keep piling on new content and never worry about balancing old game elements or fixing the underlying fundamentals of the game's infrastructure. If shteev's out there he can remind me the term the video used.

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=55564
    I would much rather design interesting Planeswalkers than change current ones so that the new ones become more interesting.