*** Black Panther (T'Challa) ***

Comments

• Puritas wrote:
    With respecs coming next patch it seems somewhat silly to hold on to a build that's hoping for future releases to make it viable

Iam not silly man and in the past there was nothing about a respec system....
  • Anyone else notice that he goes really well with modern storm. I only mention this because of their connection in the comics. But seriously her red feeds his yellow. Her green will fuel his blue and black. Or hos yellow strike tiles will make her black more powerful.

I do know that any strike tiles will work with her but I'm just going off of a comic stand point.
  • Anyone else notice that he goes really well with modern storm. I only mention this because of their connection in the comics. But seriously her red feeds his yellow. Her green will fuel his blue and black. Or hos yellow strike tiles will make her black more powerful.

I do know that any strike tiles will work with her but I'm just going off of a comic stand point.
    He's the only character who makes use of env. AP, and she's the only character who feeds env. AP, of course they go well together icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Oh man, Panther looks awesome. And he's got a freakin' Yellow AP ability, which is the rarest color usage in the game!

The black move looks like it does a lot of damage, but not liking the "feed your opponent AP" aspect. I wonder if that throttles down with covers. Meh, looks like a finishing move - black is a pretty common color to have (second after red I think?), but the yellow/blue look great.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Intersting set of abilities. I like black, the huge damage for giving them AP isn't a big deal, Blue is okay, since the game is going that way I'm cool with it. Yellow, I"m not a fan of as I see it. The only reason is it so dependent upon having enviornmental tiles to even be effective and you consuming your enviornmental tiles. I mean Wolvie (Astonisghin) bases strike tiles off of red but he doesn't consume, I don't know, I'm thinking 3/5/5 at the moment.
  • Where did you guys see the huge black damage anyway? Did I miss something? I read the OP's post, I read the lvl 1 and 2 abilities in game, not finding anything about lvl 5 huge damage or just high damage.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    locked wrote:
    Where did you guys see the huge black damage anyway? Did I miss something? I read the OP's post, I read the lvl 1 and 2 abilities in game, not finding anything about lvl 5 huge damage or just high damage.

You can look at the level 15 base damage and compare that to other characters base damage in order to see how well it scales up. http://marvelpuzzlequest.wikia.com/wiki ... _(Model_40) for instance, shows that IM40's base blue damage is 355, which is what black panther's is at level 2. If you assume (pretty safely), that panther's damage gets stronger has black has more covers, then you can guess that his black will end up being as strong as IM40's blue, which means that it could be similar to IM40's in doing ~2.6k damage at 5 covers and max level.
  • Yeggy
    Yeggy Posts: 81
    No wonder Black Panther and Storm (modern) are banging each other, good synergy in their skills. Storm's red for gathering Environment tiles and panther to lay down a solid battleplan. Smartypants. Storm's green to generate ap and make cascades.

Throw-in an OBW and you have a nice threesome that denies AP as well.

I know it's a 1* with a 3*, but come on, it tickles me funny for sure.
  • Overall, he seems a bit lackluster to me. His yellow ability has a neat gimmick to it, however, I only see it being truely useful on certain maps, where the environment ability doesn't outweigh the benefit his ability gives.

He also suffers greatly from the the 3* ailment of having a strong ability that's detrimental against your team. Why would I want to give the enemy team more ap at the cost of doing damage?

I really try to stay away from such characters because the detriment more often than not is not worth the price of admission. Characters like punisher and Psylocke are the types I go for, because they don't really have any negatives that can be used against your team. This is gonna be a skip for me, just like Patch.
  • Skyedyne wrote:
    He also suffers greatly from the the 3* ailment of having a strong ability that's detrimental against your team. Why would I want to give the enemy team more ap at the cost of doing damage?

If it scales like a lot of us think it will then using it purely as a finishing move would be worth it with no drawback. And if used strategically 5ap is not that much. Especially if paired with an ap thief.
  • Skyedyne wrote:

If it scales like a lot of us think it will then using it purely as a finishing move would be worth it with no drawback. And if used strategically 5ap is not that much. Especially if paired with an ap thief.

I'm guessing that's where our views differ. True, it may take the edge of, or even nullify the negative, if you have another character do AP steal, but why NEED another character to make another's negative not sting as much? That paired character with him can go in any other team comp that has no drawbacks and be just as helpful if not more.

In terms of finishing move, that's just begging for time allowed to get downed, and should only be relegated to tanks, like Hulk and IM40, who are mainly last man standing abilities.

I tend to view characters on a stand alone basis. If they can hold up on their own without having to rely on a second party, then they make the cut. By doing that, they bring much more benefit to the team, and less stress on mind and strategy about worrying when an appropriate time for ability fire is needed.

GSBW is naturally the exception to this rule, as her massive damage ability is not tied to her match tiles, and easily self sustaining by herself to get to that point.
  • Skyedyne wrote:
    Skyedyne wrote:

I'm guessing that's where our views differ.

Actually it sounds like we're more so on the same page:
    Skyedyne wrote:
    True, it may take the edge of, or even nullify the negative, if you have another character do AP steal, but why NEED another character to make another's negative not sting as much? That paired character with him can go in any other team comp that has no drawbacks and be just as helpful if not more.

I love ap steal abilities like Original Black Widow's Recon and while I think it is great by itself a character like Black Panther (or Ares) can make it better. I always wait to cast recon until I'll get the best haul out of it so I wouldn't mind waiting until after using Black Panther's black. Some might say that is more work but others will call it strategy. I don't think of it as needing a character to make Panther less bad, rather using a character like Panther to make Widow better.
    Skyedyne wrote:
    In terms of finishing move, that's just begging for time allowed to get downed, and should only be relegated to tanks, like Hulk and IM40, who are mainly last man standing abilities.

Black Panther's hp at level 15 is the same as IM40's.
    Skyedyne wrote:
    I tend to view characters on a stand alone basis. If they can hold up on their own without having to rely on a second party, then they make the cut. By doing that, they bring much more benefit to the team, and less stress on mind and strategy about worrying when an appropriate time for ability fire is needed.

I used to do the same but now I focus on different teams (as opposed to one A team). Since the game is all about offense right now I'm starting to see the fun in mixing and matching different combos.
    Skyedyne wrote:
    GSBW is naturally the exception to this rule, as her massive damage ability is not tied to her match tiles, and easily self sustaining by herself to get to that point.

Love her (my gsbw team features Hulk and Rags) and I'm starting to see the same potential in Black Panther. From early impressions I'm thinking (like others) that Modern Storm and Original Black Widow would be nice teammates for Black Panther so I haven't even started to think about 3 star teams for him.

But if he pans out as anything close to what I'm imagining mStorm/OWB/BP could replace OWB/Loki/Patch as my go to PVE team.
  • Better black panther cover? This one also has DD in it. http://www.pinterest.com/pin/429530883182148947/
  • Puritas
    Puritas Posts: 670 Critical Contributor
    I just realized that given the AI's love for environmental tile matching, 5Y black panther might be the best hero available on defense.
    and then, in the rampage of environmental strike tiles, only one man would be able to stand in his way - Daredevil

whoa giant meta shift icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Unity wrote:
    Better black panther cover? This one also has DD in it. http://www.pinterest.com/pin/429530883182148947/

Black Panther looks great in that cover, but Daredevil...what the hell is happening to his muscles?
  • Jathro
    Jathro Posts: 323 Mover and Shaker
    Puritas wrote:
    I just realized that given the AI's love for environmental tile matching, 5Y black panther might be the best hero available on defense.
    and then, in the rampage of environmental strike tiles, only one man would be able to stand in his way - Daredevil

whoa giant meta shift icon_e_biggrin.gif
    But his yellow appears to be based off your own pool of environment tiles; not your opponent's. Unless of course at higher levels of yellow it affects both teams.
  • Jathro wrote:
    But his yellow appears to be based off your own pool of environment tiles; not your opponent's. Unless of course at higher levels of yellow it affects both teams.
    This is why he said "on defense", where the AI is handling your team. Since it is very likely the AI will keep hoarding environment AP anyway, in the case of Black Panther it will be useful because when he use his ability he will place many strike tiles.
  • I think this guy looks like a pretty great teammate for Punisher. Yellow and blue abilities that are useful and reasonably costed, and a black that can coincide nicely. Use a Molotov when you need the lower cost or don't want the drawback, use Black Panther's black for a sweeper, or in those boards that start littered with black.

As far as needing environmental tiles for the yellow, it's just not that big a deal to me. I can't remember a game where I didn't have some environmental matches from cascades alone. And it's something better on the city map than 50 health, which is worthless. If it creates one strike tile it has made as many as Psylocke's red, and if you make two or three you have probably more than made up for her damage as well. And this in yellow, which normally builds up and does almost nothing for me.

Factor in good health and I predict, while no one will complain about him being OP, he is going to be a character that sees heavy rotation. A lot like punisher, really, my current favorite character.
  • Until we see how the abilities evolve with extra covers, Black Panther looks situational to me. If you're against a team where the strongest match 3 color is not paired with a dangerous active ability (or you can one-shot the guy with the ability with BP's Black) then BP's black is the business. I'm not sure about his yellow, even though it's kind of "yay active yellow!"- situational for matches where you haven't got a better use for environmental tile matches like the city playfield- that's the one which I really need to see at 3 yellow or 5 yellow to know if it's worth it, it's not very good at 1 yellow. The blue is like the anti-Molotov, only without an AOE heal (unless that comes later).
  • SpaceBearPig
    SpaceBearPig Posts: 83 Match Maker
    Unity wrote:
    Better black panther cover? This one also has DD in it. http://www.pinterest.com/pin/429530883182148947/

Dat DD **** lol!