Oath of the gatewatch 2 - Tyrant of Valakut 2nd objective

Options
gxmikey1
gxmikey1 Posts: 4
edited February 2017 in MtGPQ Events
I've defeated tyrant with less than 10 hp twice, but both times i received 50hp upon defeat and didn't get the defeat with less than 10hp ribbon. Has this happened to anyone else?

Comments

• gxmikey1
    Options
    i got it on the third try after a force close of the app. i suspect it has something to do with planeswalker regen and ios backgrounding. i noticed that my planeswalker hadn't regenerated anything although i hadn't played in a few hours. my guess is that all the regen caught up after the match completion.
  • speakupaskanswer
    speakupaskanswer Posts: 306 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I somehow find no way of doing the 10 HP objective. Any suggestions?
  • hawkyh1
    hawkyh1 Posts: 780 Critical Contributor
    Options
    can be done with dovin and some luck. unless you have
    fixed reliable healing, cascades resulting your opponent
    using their ability is a real pain. I try and aim for 7-10 hp
    before I remove all their creatures and cast claustrophobia
    just in case. took me many tries though.

I'm thinking sarkhan might be worth a try.

HH
  • Steeme
    Steeme Posts: 784 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Tried and failed and handful of times with various planeswalkers and strategies. Can be done, but requires way too much work combined with luck, which is a terrible formula.

Either I'm just horrible at this game, or this is another event fail. I get that they want to make things challenging, but Tyrant objective #2 is infinitely more difficult than objective #3, yet objective #2 is mandatory for the progression. Once I realized #2 was mandatory, I stopped playing. More important things in life.
  • hawkyh1
    hawkyh1 Posts: 780 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I don't get how 10 hp or less makes you a better player
    than 90+ hp (it's worth more ribbons). as another forum
    member has posted somewhere, players try to not take
    damage where possible.

HH
  • Zeplech
    Options
    Won the event twice on Sorin, and looked at the objectives screen just prior to my final play, noting that the second objective had been met. However, when the match completed, Sorin had regenned to full health, and the objective listed my health at 82 (full health) instead of <= 10. The second time was after force killing the app, as was suggested above. Some story fights have similar objectives and they appear to function normally, so I'm not sure why this particular fight would behave this way. Bummer, as I was just 2 tickets from the final pack. As frustrating as it was to deal with the bug, it was pretty fun to piece that deck together in order to meet the goal. Easily one of the toughest objectives yet.
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,934 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Just posted a video on how to achieve this objective a little more consistently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCpcbwSudJ0&feature=youtu.be

I've been able to do it twice in four tries. In case this event comes around again, I hope it helps.
  • Monkeynutts
    Monkeynutts Posts: 566 Critical Contributor
    Options
    ..... so i need Tyrant 2nd obj to get 55 ribbons..... i won with 8, 11 and 9 hp now on two diff Pws and nothing....
    Get +20hp at the end and i dont get the ribbon.
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,227 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I use creatureless Ob and a board control strategy to slowly creep down to the appropriate level of life.

Live Fast
    Grip of Desolation
    Lost Legacy
    Drownyard Temple
    Shrine of the Forsaken Gods
    To the Slaughter
    Ruinous Path
    Tamiyo's Journal
    Behold the Beyond
    Aligned Hedron Network