Dauthi's 4* Guide - So You've Made it This Far!

2»

Comments

• smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't see why you would advise peoole not to collect Howard or dino. I get maybe putting them into bottom tier and advising not to level them, but outright telling people not to collect them is just bad advice.

And I'll echo that Thing is awesome and a highly valuable 4.
  • Dauthi
    Dauthi Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    smkspy wrote:
    I don't see why you would advise peoole not to collect Howard or dino. I get maybe putting them into bottom tier and advising not to level them, but outright telling people not to collect them is just bad advice.

And I'll echo that Thing is awesome and a highly valuable 4.

We are talking to players who are probably choosing which covers to sell though, would you advise them to take one that is not cycled in buffs over one that will be? I will change it to "unless you have spare HP". Right now I always have spare HP, but I am not sure that is the case for those in the 3* realm.

I used him more in Civil War when my roster was heavily limited, and he definitely helped. Hiding DPS behind him works great, so I updated his rank for those who are in mid transistion to 4*. I think once you have a good amount of 4*s under your belt, adding utility or support like Thing is a good idea.
  • Didn't see Hulkbuster on there. Curious to see where he lands.
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    Dauthi -- a nitpick!

I think your recommended 4hor cover balance is wrong, as (a) it's wrong icon_e_smile.gif, and (b) it sort of contradicts your writeup. You are 100% correct that yellow is the weak spot of Thor's power set. So why keep it at 5 covers? Answer: you don't. 5 blue -- which stretches the stun to 3 turns and adds another random charged tile -- is much more useful. Often, you can luck into some blue charges that let you multistun the oppo team (especially if you're overbooked in blue thanks to an IM40 pop) while adding 3700* (potentially) to the power of her red Smite each time you cast it. So basically, you're getting Peggy Carter's blue ability in function (sometimes) - maybe even better, and you can often one shot whoever's not stunned.

The AOE damage from 5 yellow is nothing to sneeze at (at 2200* or so), true. But there are way better and more efficient yellow powers out there -- and if you're running Thor, you're running IM40, and he'll be using your yellow in almost all cases. And the longer duration stun is just more valuable, I think.

Maybe in the abstract there's an argument for a 5-5-3 Thor.... but in the real world, where you will never see Thor without IM40, there's no reason to run that. 5-3-5 is better.

*My Thor is at 277. YMMV on the damage numbers of course....
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Very bizarre "high tier".

Will you add a "OMG CRAZY" tier for Rulk, Creepsicle, Peggy, Medusa and Carol later?
  • Dauthi
    Bowgentle wrote:
    Very bizarre "high tier".

Will you add a "OMG CRAZY" tier for Rulk, Creepsicle, Peggy, Medusa and Carol later?

I won't do that, more likely start pushing characters out of top tier and into high tier etc. I have already had to start this early in the creation of the guide due to some surprisingly strong 4*s. I left what I believe to be mostly top tier for last, not counting the bad characters I don't have to test.
    DaveR4470 wrote:
    Dauthi -- a nitpick!

I think your recommended 4hor cover balance is wrong, as (a) it's wrong icon_e_smile.gif, and (b) it sort of contradicts your writeup. You are 100% correct that yellow is the weak spot of Thor's power set.

Oops! Thanks, I fixed it. icon_e_biggrin.gif It's a lot to do, so I miss little things like that. Always appreciate someone noticing so I don't confuse a ton of players.
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,410 Chairperson of the Boards
    In all honesty, she is extremely unbalanced. Demiurge has mentioned looking into nerfs, don't be surprised if she is who they have in mind. Until then, all hail peggy! icon_e_wink.gif

I seriously hope not, I just boosted her to lvl 309 by going all in favorite while pulling tokens. They haven't nerfed anyway in sometime so hopefully it's more the case of adjusting others to be just as good.
  • Dauthi
    Pongie wrote:
    In all honesty, she is extremely unbalanced. Demiurge has mentioned looking into nerfs, don't be surprised if she is who they have in mind. Until then, all hail peggy! icon_e_wink.gif

I seriously hope not, I just boosted her to lvl 309 by going all in favorite while pulling tokens. They haven't nerfed anyway in sometime so hopefully it's more the case of adjusting others to be just as good.

In their last video they mention at the end they are looking into nerfs. I'm hoping not because I haven't had a chance to use her. It's one of those characters that just never drops for me. Thank goodness for bonus heroes, I can finally get her now. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • DrNitroman
    DrNitroman Posts: 966 Critical Contributor
    You did a great work with this guide Dauthi, I won't forget to direct transitioning 4* players to your guide icon_e_smile.gif

I have a comment on 4*Deadpool though:
    Dauthi wrote:
    icon_deadpool.pngDeadpool - redflag.png 5 blackflag.png 3 purpleflag.png 5 - Rank 5th of high tier

Offers - Nuke/Tile Nuke/Healing/Tank
    HP - 13,934 - Average
    Damage/AP ratios - (Nuke) - 590 (Tile Nuke) - 1296 (all tiles matched) or 648 (3 tiles matched)

Deadpool's red damage/ap ratio seems a bit low, but that is because it comes with a 4,500 true heal. This allows him to deal competent damage and save you healthpacks.

His black makes him a tank, making his red that much more useful since he will be often hurt. While his black does some great damage, I feel that a tank with a great heal is more useful.

I wouldn't advise using him unless you plan to utilize his purple because it does some amazing damage. Deadpool drops tile nukes on 6 of the enemy's strongest color, ensuring they will target them. It's true you are unlikely to get them all to go off, I find myself typically getting 4 to go off, but even if you get 3 to go off the damage/ap is still good as you can see above.

Wolverine's black destroys all of the enemy's strongest color, making Deadpool's purple 100% effective. If you have Wolverine finished, I would recommend championing Deadpool.

His black doesn't make him tank. When an ally take enough damage, his black power triggers a 1-turn countdown that deals damage... but Deadpool doesn't jump in front. Against opponents who use strike tiles and hit hard, his black countdonws can spawn a lot and damages stack up quickly.
    (I suppose you made a confusion with 3*Deadpool's black power)
  • Dauthi
    DrNitroman wrote:
    His black doesn't make him tank. When an ally take enough damage, his black power triggers a 1-turn countdown that deals damage... but Deadpool doesn't jump in front. Against opponents who use strike tiles and hit hard, his black countdonws can spawn a lot and damages stack up quickly.
    (I suppose you made a confusion with 3*Deadpool's black power)

Ah thanks, didn't realize i was vague about how the skill works. Players do have the option to ignore him and take the damage, i'll be more specific and remove the tank tag.
  • mckauhu
    mckauhu Posts: 740 Critical Contributor
    I bet Moonknight, Wasp, Medusa and Carol are the best characters in game now... Thanks for this guide Dauthi, very informative.
  • DapperChewie
    DapperChewie Posts: 399 Mover and Shaker
    mckauhu wrote:
    I bet Moonknight, Wasp, Medusa and Carol are the best characters in game now... Thanks for this guide Dauthi, very informative.

Champed Wasp is actually really good after her buff.

Medusa is an amazing support character, but one of the best things about her is her amazing synergy with Carnage. Make a team of Medusa, Carnage, and Mr. Fantastic, and you have a team with some of the highest survivability in the game.

Carol is pretty great as well, provided you pair her with the right allies. I don't have a ton of experience with her, but she's an easy skip in pvp.
  • alaeth
    alaeth Posts: 446 Mover and Shaker
    Just Champed Medusa. with any special tile spammer, she is amazing. Boosted, she is diabolical. I suspect she will end up close to the top, since she can quickly spam special tiles herself.
    Ultimate laughing-riot: holding enough purple AP to fire hers, and waiting for the enemy Mohawk to use Hailstorm... turns a nasty surprise into insta-gib for the enemy team.

Facing a few boosted Luke Cage's in recent PvPs is enough to make me fear him - even with Teen-Jean and Thing boosted. He is dangerous and seems like a solid opponent.

I think your assessments on the other recent characters is spot-on. Thanks for your diligence on keeping the list updated!
  • Astralgazer
    Astralgazer Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    Just a small suggestion to OP: please add a quick index near the top of the list. So that people can easily find a specific character without going through your post from top to bottom. And as you add more characters, people can quickly find them.

And please add viable combos that are available to each character; e.g. Star Lord + 3 Hawkeye.
  • Bokky
    Bokky Posts: 6 Just Dropped In
    Is my planned 4* team the best? My reasoning for PVP Defence teams is that high HP will discourage attacks.

4* PVP Offence - IM40, Thor. +Red Hulk for Simulation PVP <-- should I replace Thor with Cyclops?
    4* PVP Defence - Red Hulk, Peggy Carter. +Hulkbuster for Simulation PVP
    4* PVE - Star-Lord, Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers). +Agent Coulson for non-Essentials
  • sickcat99
    sickcat99 Posts: 3 Just Dropped In
    Will this be updated? Is it still relevant? 
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    sickcat99 said:
    Probably not.

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    sickcat99 said:
    Probably not.