**** Mr. Fantastic (Reed Richards) **** Updated (1/10/19)

Comments

• Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ah, but those shields heal him when the opponent matches them away!

Yeah... I hope they tone down his match up. I have a lot more covers this time around, and I'd like them to be worth *something*.

Yeah if they were like 4 -100 instead of 2 200, or even better 10 - 50s. That would make his yellow far more useful, and his shields more annoying.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    Being forced to use him last PVE, the only thing I found useful was his Imaginaut, but it was too easy to get matched away. I think that his Imaginaut CD tile should be a reinforced tile... either right off the bat or once it ticks up above 4, reinforce it or something like that.

It would last longer and be more useful.

I did like his passive heal when a special tile was matched away, make it a AOE heal, and I'd use him more often.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    Removing the requirement for other members of the F4 to generate AP would help too.
  • I think if you have icon_mrfantastic.png work with Fantastic Fiur, but also icon_beast.pngicon_blackpanther.pngicon_professorx.png , maybe icon_captainamerica.png as well, then you increase the flavor a bit. They could have a few more cool story events, if the introduce the Illuminati team concept. We could get Dr. Strange, Namor... World War Hulk maybe.

Oh, and also make the move true heal Reed, green heal teammates?
  • Yoik
    Yoik Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    Ranted a bit about Mr F on another post which I thought would probably of been better here:

Thought id muck around a bit with the Storm PVP and try some different toons.

Most people have a go at Mr Fantastic because he generally lack luster. Mine is champed and he is also boosted. So I paired him with thing who is also champed and boosted. TBH is works well if you get Mr F’s black down sharpish. Bust a Yellow storm and then cascade city can see you matching 10k off someone in a few moves. If you are lucky enough to get some more black and put storms power down do it and wow heal heal heal for Mr. F.

Smack a few of them round the chops with things red or green and it’s a winner.

However. The above is the ideal situation which happened once.

The reality is that out of the ten matches I played Mr. f’s black tile got matched within 1 or 2 moves. Or hit by the oppositions storm green. Or the thing would blast it away with his green. I may have been unlucky and that’s just how it goes in this game, you win some you lose some but it highlights the flaw in Mr F I think and his general limitations. He is a support character but if his support is that narrow it’s a bit of a non event.

Now, allegedly, someone may of said that possibly on the grapevine that he might be getting a boost theoretically soon. That boost needs to be a heal for the team. His stun is fine, you could make it a team stun for less time perhaps. His black is ok damage wise and its effects are good because it encourages his team pairing. I think it needs to be fortified maybe. Or passive, so if he has enough black it pops on the board anyway. Or perhaps has 2 stages. Save up 9 black to bust it and have a high match damage, save up another 9 and if its still on the board you can overload it or some such and it does high damage to the opposition and gets rid of the tile.

Went off on the tangent there, my actual gripe was that I was annoyed with how my matches went when I was trying something different.

Its everyone else’s fault.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    JVReal wrote:
    Being forced to use him last PVE, the only thing I found useful was his Imaginaut, but it was too easy to get matched away. I think that his Imaginaut CD tile should be a reinforced tile... either right off the bat or once it ticks up above 4, reinforce it or something like that.

Rather than making it reinforced, just have imaginaut as a passive (with an ap threshold if deemed necessary for balance) and adjust the buff it gives accordingly.

It could even be rolled into his yellow and for black give him some kind of direct attacking move, have him stretching himself into a weapon to explain it.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Crowl wrote:
    JVReal wrote:

Rather than making it reinforced, just have imaginaut as a passive (with an ap threshold if deemed necessary for balance) and adjust the buff it gives accordingly.

It could even be rolled into his yellow and for black give him some kind of direct attacking move, have him stretching himself into a weapon to explain it.

We know how such a passive would work. It's basically OBW. And it's strong, but only because it can double dip on strikes. On its own, it's merely ok.

Reinforced imaginaut tiles would be ok. but there is a still the real problem that DoT powers like imaginaut or vision blue just aren't all that good. they take too long and aren't reliable enough to really make a difference as primary attacks, and the opportunity cost of using them as secondary powers is massive when the ap could be used on a stun, ap theft, or strike tile generating support power instead. Even if they bumped up the damage quite a lot I still think this power would be weak. I honestly think that fantastic's black should be completely rebuilt. throw out the concept entirely. Make something that synergizes with his blue stun, or can be fueled by his yellow passive.

It would be a mistake for demi to make minor changes to his blue and yellow instead of focusing on his black. . .
  • macgawel
    macgawel Posts: 30 Just Dropped In
    New Update !
    Brigby wrote:
    Mr. Fantastic (Reed Richards) Update: *New Update*
    Level 366 is the level of a Max Level 4-Star character that has the Weekly Character Powered-Up level boost.

Flexibility
    The cost of this power has been reduced by one. The player chooses two basic tiles to be swapped. Before the tiles are swapped, they become fortified protection tiles. This allows you to make strategic choices while ensuring that you get to keep the protection tiles. The Stun remains a 3-Turn stun at power level 5.
    MrFanFlexibilityRework.png
    Old%20Flexibility.jpg

Master of the Fantastic
    The heal has been converted to a burst team heal. The amount of AP earned each time this power goes off has been increased to 3 as long as you have a member of the Fantastic Four on your team.
    MrFanMasterOfTheFantasticRework.png
    Old%20Master%20of%20the%20Fantastic.jpg

Imaginaut
    The cost of this power has been reduced by two, the Countdown tile is now fortified and the damage has been increased for making Red, Green, and Yellow tile matches.
    MrFanImaginautRework.pngOld%20Imaginaut.jpg
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,105 Chairperson of the Boards
    Changes to Mr F! An early report, after using him (Champed) with my normal team of X-23, Daken and Mr F.

Blue - Swapping the tiles and making them fortified protect is decent. You just need to either make sure you remember not to make them part of a match if you want to keep the fortification. Otherwise, you can just set up a couple of matches and end up with non-fortified tiles. I'd still prefer more, weaker protect tiles on the board for more triggers of his yellow ability. Speaking of which....

Yellow - Believe it or not, this ability actually became worse. The burst heal on the team no longer True Heals Mr F. It took a few matches for me to notice this, but it's a definite thumbs down on this one. Is there a "Let's get rid of all non-Wolverine/Deadpool True Heal abilities in the game" movement afoot? I don't like this change at all.

Black - As with his blue, fortified is good. That alone makes this ability much better. Increased damage and lower cost are also benefits, obviously.

I'm going to predict that his lack of true healing means he'll see *less* usage than he did previously after his "buff." Anyone else have any thoughts?
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    *Updated post to reflect recent character update
  • stochasticism
    stochasticism Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    Brigby wrote:
    *Updated post to reflect recent character update

Can you add a poll or reset any polls that have updated characters?
  • himatako
    himatako Posts: 269 Mover and Shaker
    So I just used him in Balance of Power PVP and holy cow, he's much better and is actually fantastically fun to use?? Teaming him with Devil Dinosaur and IM40 and I've won so many battle without losing much health. Actually, I think I climbed from 300 to 800 mainly with this team.

His blue is amazing and with a good board you can keep it going until you've stunned every opponent. If you already placed Imaginaut on the board, you can even use his blue to make R, G or Y match to activates it and extends the CD tile. Fortified Imaginaut + lower cost REALLY makes all the differences in the world, as you don't have to worry about cascade accidentally destroying the CD tile anymore.

My Mr. Fantasic is currently at 4/1/5 but I'm having so much fun using him, I think I'm gonna champ him next. His yellow isn't that bad. I've tried Mr. F + Prof. X + IM40 and there are special tiles all over the place. So many you rarely lose your health at all. Sometime you can even make a match 5 with his blue or set the board up so that you can make a match 5. Unlike other tile swapping abilities, you don't have to worry about Jean Grey since if you target her, she'll be stunned and thus disabling her passive.

However, he can be a bit slow to play and I can see that the AI probably doesn't know how to play his blue effectively on defence.

I'll probably spec him to 5/3/5. Yellow requires the opponent making a match to activate it, so it's pretty unreliable. He's really good at stunning an enemy as well as controlling the board. Can't wait to use him more in the future icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,213 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've been a fan of Mr. f since before his recent changes. Overall I'm pleased. The loss of true healing is a bummer, but the team heal makes him a much better friend of Carnage.

I've been running him with Carnage and KK to great effect. KK's purple does tend to become less useful as the board becomes saturated in special tiles though. I'll be excited when my Medusa is covered well enough that she can take KK's place.
  • d3guser
    d3guser Posts: 30 Just Dropped In
    A question.
    Does his fortifications help the IW?
    If yes it would be great cause you will have great synergy.
  • himatako
    himatako Posts: 269 Mover and Shaker
    A question.
    Does his fortifications help the IW?
    If yes it would be great cause you will have great synergy.

No, since he only fortifies the tiles that he makes. The synergy between him and IW after I've tried playing them so far are:

1. You have an option to spend blue AP on either creating protect tiles or strike tiles.
    2. IW create strike tiles, which helps boosts Imaginaut's damage.
    3. Matching green will activates Imaginaut & collecting green AP for IW's power
    4. With IW, his yellow will give you 3 greentile.png when activated, speeding up IW's nuke. Considering 2/3 of IW's powers create special tiles, there's a high chance that his yellow power will be activated.

If you want to use them together, I think you'll be relying on IW's green as your main weapon with Mr. F as support, helping her attack faster/stronger.
  • DalekGAF
    DalekGAF Posts: 52 Match Maker
    I ran Reed with IW and 3* Blade in the simulator and Man is that a fun team. Blade is just laying down strike tiles left and right-and anytime the enemy matches them, your entire team gets healed and you feed IW's green nuke.
  • Yoik
    Yoik Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    I think the changes to Mr F are positive. I used him with IW and someone else I cannot remember. His blue is a nice stun and his imaginaught (SP) is crazy if you get a cascade. You can easily see 5k racking up in no time just on matches.

I think the fortified nature of the tiles is a big improvement too

One question, mainly about fortified tiles. I assumed that as they are fortified they need to be matched once then they are viable for matching / getting rid of? I was in a match against Yelena and she busted her power that turns the opposiotion special tile sinto a crit and it took out one of my fortified protect tiles???

Should that of happened? Seems a tad easy to get rid of if it is.
  • Khazaq
    Khazaq Posts: 7 Just Dropped In
    I have seen Yelena kill my fortified tiles as well, I would hope that's a bug.

With the new changes my favorite team has been Mr. F, Prof X (5/3/5), and The Thing. In my trio, blue is the strongest color, so once 7 blue is hit, it is quite possible to lock everything down and win through match-5s and generating more blue with each five. It is definitely a lot more Puzzle-like than other teams, but being able to dish out the stun has been fantastic. (Ouch- sorry about that)

However, against AP stealers or high match punishers, it is not so good. And pretty much anyone who does not upset the Blue as tops can be substituted for Thing.
  • ErikPeter
    ErikPeter Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Yelena is one of the few characters who can do that. I'm pretty sure any special tile remover can remove fortified tiles--e.g. Jean Grey's purple--and the basic tiles just stay fortified (weirdly does Yelena make a fortified crit tile?) A tile destroyer would not, however; the tile would just become unfortified instead of destroyed.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Its not a bug they've always behaved that way. The fortification only protects it from being matched once any powers which directly affect the status still work...such as

Yelena
    Quake blue
    Kingpin black
    Xfw black

When fortification was first introduced with goblin the first thing I did was test quake blue against it and presto it removed the status but left the fortification