Mind Gem Season Character Updates *Updated (2/6/17)

Comments

• Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    babinro wrote:
    Please Change the color of either Mr F's blue OR Invisible Woman's blue to Purple so that we can actually play them together!

This blue overlap in blue means that you'll NEVER want to run them together. Which is a huge shame given their lore and in game synergy. MrF's blue is easily his strongest skill and IW's blue is required for her blue/green combo. By simply changing either one of these skills from blue to purple you allow the pair to play well together. This change wouldn't hurt Mr F and Thing or Mr F and Torch either. I get that the costumes are blue but this is one of those times where game balance and FUN should win out.

Yeah you should be able to play Reed and Sue with great synergy together. This should be a must!

I think Sue's blue can easily be changed to purple or even red now that it creates strike tiles (blue made more sense in her older incarnation, now it can easily be other colors)

So now we have the numbers, black and blue are decent with the upgrade in strength and cost reduction but yellow with the new numbers is a clear nerf. All in all, he is better than before (which was nor very hard to accomplish), so his DDQ4 with Doom will be easier, but I doubt I will use him more than when Essential. He is still low mid tier.

If Imaginaut was 6, and it would stack with other imaginauts, that would probably make a big difference.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx wrote:
    I see him as being the weakest 4*by a wide margin pre-rework. And likely the weakest 4*by a smaller margin post-rework. This rework looks like a waste of dev resources. Hope i am wrong.

I totally agree. What's more, the fortification *should* make it even less likely to get the burst heal to fire, since Reed's tiles aren't as likely to get matched away. The new numbers are totally underwhelming, and unlike every other non-Miles rework to date, I don't see anybody using him more now than they were before. What a mess.

The fortification may actually lead to more heals, if his heal goes off from both matches of the fortified tile which it should, the thing that could potentially reduce the chances of his tiles being matched is us choosing the ones to be swapped, but equally we could choose likely to be matched tiles since we don't really care about protection tiles anyway.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    zulux21 wrote:
    I can't think of a single reason to take fantastic into battle aside from theme when I could instead take ice man if I want a stun or medusa if I want team healing, or any strike character to increase match damage.

I mean sure having the abilities in one character can be nice but in this case they are all more niche support abilities that I can't think of any situation where I would want him over ice man or medusa who are quite a bit stronger in the current meta.

A more damning question as far as burst team heals is probably, would people even pick him over one of the 3* with that power if for some reason that was an important criteria let alone Medusa who clearly outclasses him completely.
  • roberts_2
    roberts_2 Posts: 126 Tile Toppler
    Color change for Richards blueflag.png for purpleflag.png sounds good, old times these colors were changed (purple for blue) for Classic Magneto and he works fine.
  • catcusvader
    catcusvader Posts: 93 Match Maker
    roberts_2 wrote:
    Color change for Richards blueflag.png for purpleflag.png sounds good

That's not going to happen since they are releasing Mordo who has blackflag.pngblueflag.pngpurpleflag.png

It feels as they really drop the ball with the creativity to really improve icon_mrfantastic.png They didn't even rework one of his abilities after all this time. Just off the top of my head, thinking, his yellow could have been reworked like this. When there is a fortified tile on the board he gives burst heal every turn. And if he is the first person down on his team he leaves behind 2 fortified protect tiles. if he is the last person on his team he creates 2 fortified timers that deal damage every turn. And rework Imaginaut nut to generate ap instead of match damage.They could have also just swap color of imaginaut to blue and flexibility to black.
  • Thanos
    Thanos Posts: 722 Critical Contributor
    They should change Mr. F's black from Imaginaut to Ultimate Nullifier and have it deny the opponent the use of a chosen ability. Overall I'm liking his blue and that's about it. It took them three tries to get Sue to a usable state so they have one more try for Mr. F.
  • AdamMagus
    AdamMagus Posts: 363 Mover and Shaker
    Like many others have posted above, please change Mr. Fantastic's blueflag.png to purpleflag.png

We really need synergy with his fellow Fantastic Four.

Thanks!
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    After seeing the number Mr F seems mildly better, but not nearly enough. His black is still really week. My vision at level 232 does 1200 damage and cost 5 AP. Overall he should be doing over 1k damage with the matches. Also with his burst healing his yellow still feels like a nerf instead of an overall buff. If you wanted to make his yellow different it could be a 5 turn CD tile that rebounds 1/4 damage he takes. So if he gets hit for 1k damage his rubber band like ability rebounds the punch and does 25% of the damage back to the enemy. This would at least make it worth while to place him in front compared to burst healing.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    I champed Cho, Sue and Star-Lord after their buffs, but Mr. F will continue to languish, I suspect. Flexibility is legitimately good now -- tile-swap and stun and pretty decent protect tiles (that will survive being matched in the swap) is a really good deal for 7 AP -- but Master of the Fantastic and Imaginaut are still not very good at all. Master is especially bad now that Medusa exists and does his same schtick but better and with an added effect I can actually use.
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    That's pretty respectable team damage for 9 AP while retaining the protect tiles. Was personally hoping Redwing could get an active component. Something that could tempt going under the passive threshold, like how Wasp was designed to deactivate That Buzzing Sound.
  • D4Ni13
    D4Ni13 Posts: 745 Critical Contributor
    Brigby wrote:
    Hey Everyone,

Two characters will be receiving a update with the upcoming Mind Gem Season: Mr. Fantastic (Reed Richards) and Sam Wilson (Falcon). Both of these characters are support characters that don’t see much play from the player base.

You mean to tell me that Falcon is used much less than 3* Spidey? Falcon is very useful in 3* land buffing Luke Cage, IF, and Daken's special tiles, but Spidey.. doesn't really fit in with any team in 3* land. I feel like at this point, they're purposely avoiding Spidey even after all the pleas, the posts, the surveys.. I don't recall any player on the forum clamoring for a Falcon rebalance. Do we have to wait until Spidey's new movie released before we potentially see his rebalance? Come on already!

3* Spidey alongside Wolverine Patch & Loki is one of the most durable 3* teams in the game and my goto combo for hard endurance matches. I had a lot of succes with them. With no other team in my roster have I managed to win so many hard encounters, despite having 4* and 5* now.

So he sure has a place in the game, and he ca be pretty good in the right team.
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Puce Moose wrote:
    *EDIT* at the *** level, is Gamora as close as we get to a team stun?

Yes. All other 3* stun powers target one opponent (or themselves in IM40's case).
    Jaedenkaal wrote:
    So... Coercive Field really is terrible now, isn't it? By comparison, I mean.

By direct comparison, yes. Falcon's new Bird Strike places 880 worth of protect tiles, while Coercive Field places around 500 at its highest level. But you don't play Magneto for his protect tiles, you play him for his shockingly cheap and powerful blue. The protect tiles are nice in a pinch, but if you're even considering using them, you're in big trouble anyway.
  • hodayathink
    hodayathink Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    CNash wrote:
    Puce Moose wrote:
    *EDIT* at the *** level, is Gamora as close as we get to a team stun?

Yes. All other 3* stun powers target one opponent (or themselves in IM40's case).
    Jaedenkaal wrote:
    So... Coercive Field really is terrible now, isn't it? By comparison, I mean.

By direct comparison, yes. Falcon's new Bird Strike places 880 worth of protect tiles, while Coercive Field places around 500 at its highest level. But you don't play Magneto for his protect tiles, you play him for his shockingly cheap and powerful blue. The protect tiles are nice in a pinch, but if you're even considering using them, you're in big trouble anyway.

Especially since the person you're most likely using Magneto with (IM40) is the one that should unequivocally be using that yellow.
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,154 Chairperson of the Boards
    roberts_2 wrote:

That's not going to happen since they are releasing Mordo who has blackflag.pngblueflag.pngpurpleflag.png

Did I miss an update about Mordo? He wasn't mentioned in R119, there is no thread for R120, and now I can see him as the reward for the coming event. At first glance he seems like he could be an accelerating force and a headache to play against.
  • catcusvader
    catcusvader Posts: 93 Match Maker
    Nothing wrong with changing Reed's blue to purple. That'd make him a purpleflag.pngyellowflag.pngblackflag.png character, the only other one in 4* land being Kingpin. And he'd synergise so much better with IW
    Nothing wrong with change, unless you have a brain fart, I forget about his yellow which shows how little I use him to remember he uses yellow.
  • Alsmir
    Alsmir Posts: 508 Critical Contributor
    D4Ni13 wrote:
    Brigby wrote:
    Hey Everyone,

Two characters will be receiving a update with the upcoming Mind Gem Season: Mr. Fantastic (Reed Richards) and Sam Wilson (Falcon). Both of these characters are support characters that don’t see much play from the player base.

You mean to tell me that Falcon is used much less than 3* Spidey? Falcon is very useful in 3* land buffing Luke Cage, IF, and Daken's special tiles, but Spidey.. doesn't really fit in with any team in 3* land. I feel like at this point, they're purposely avoiding Spidey even after all the pleas, the posts, the surveys.. I don't recall any player on the forum clamoring for a Falcon rebalance. Do we have to wait until Spidey's new movie released before we potentially see his rebalance? Come on already!

3* Spidey alongside Wolverine Patch & Loki is one of the most durable 3* teams in the game and my goto combo for hard endurance matches. I had a lot of succes with them. With no other team in my roster have I managed to win so many hard encounters, despite having 4* and 5* now.

So he sure has a place in the game, and he ca be pretty good in the right team.

How about Hulkfinite?
  • Gmax101
    Gmax101 Posts: 182 Tile Toppler
    I second the colour change for Mr F...

What I properly struggle with is why Imaginaut only does certain colours... I guess it is for balance and not wanting to step on the toes of medusa... but if they had left everything the same except the colour match limit then I think he would be being used a lot more anyway... and leaving his heal as true heal for him would actually make him a more offense orientated character.

I actually liked him before... I just wish the AP generation was not FF4 limited... Not sure if I would use him more or less now... the burst heal is simply not as good as Medusa (outside of an FF4 team member at which case it is just arguable), the extra damage is also not as good as medusa and the USP of the Stun is the only good thing, and there are better stuns for less AP, even now. The True Heal and Stun combo was appealing in the right team up...

Granted, Thing or Torch with Medusa and Mr Fantastic would be a pretty horrid team to punch through.... just lacks a decent special tile spammer...
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    mega ghost wrote:
    roberts_2 wrote:

Did I miss an update about Mordo? He wasn't mentioned in R119, there is no thread for R120, and now I can see him as the reward for the coming event. At first glance he seems like he could be an accelerating force and a headache to play against.

You missed nothing, and Mordo is coming, he is the price for the new Unstable iso-8 PVE. You can even see all this powers, etc. in game now :S (they missed this update almost completely, there is just a link to the article insede the "MPQ Sneak Peek: February 2017 Edition *Updated (2/8/17)" thread).

Then, what is the problem with another chracter that is blackflag.pngblueflag.pngpurpleflag.png ? How many blueflag.pngredflag.pngyellowflag.png do we have? Or greenflag.pngpurpleflag.png something?

But then, as I also said, we can change IW from yellowflag.pngblueflag.pnggreenflag.png to yellowflag.pngredflag.pnggreenflag.png . Now that she creates strike tiles her blue can easily be red.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    If there was a color change for one Fantastic Four member, I'd really like it if one of the greens changed. Sue, Ben and Johnny all have green Actives and that may be just a bit much.
  • OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 689 Critical Contributor
    Flex and Imaginaut updates are minor. Fortified tiles are nice but the tile strength and damage still aren't there. Tile swap seems thematic only.
    Mr. F's Yellow is a big improvement. I want to find out a way to abuse that green AP now. 3* Storm perhaps?

Redwing update is nice but very minor. Bird strike at level 5 goes from 840 protect to 880 plus area damage for 25% less AP -- very good! But level 3 protect strength goes from 451 to 378 -- still better after factoring in the AP reduction.