Mind Gem Season Character Updates *Updated (2/6/17)

Comments

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2017
    Big inprovement for falcon!

9 purple for 800+ in protect tiles + 2k team damage. And he boosts the tiles. He may be a very valuable 3* now.

But fantastic is a borderline disaster.

Blue is better, so that's good. But 1.6k burst team healing for each friendly special? It's not enough to make up for the loss of true healing and the fact that it still requires very soecific conditions that fantastic cannot easily create.. He will still play ok with tile spammers, but he is even less useful now since he will eat up healthpacks. And black is a mess. Only a modest damage boost. Fortification and lower cost are nice, but the fundamental problem is that this ability doesnt do enough damage fast enough in a game that is all about fast damage.

I see him as being the weakest 4*by a wide margin pre-rework. And likely the weakest 4*by a smaller margin post-rework. This rework looks like a waste of dev resources. Hope i am wrong.
  • monsieurmojo
    monsieurmojo Posts: 370 Mover and Shaker
    Vhailorx wrote:
    I see him as being the weakest 4*by a wide margin pre-rework. And likely the weakest 4*by a smaller margin post-rework. This rework looks like a waste of dev resources. Hope i am wrong.

I totally agree. What's more, the fortification *should* make it even less likely to get the burst heal to fire, since Reed's tiles aren't as likely to get matched away. The new numbers are totally underwhelming, and unlike every other non-Miles rework to date, I don't see anybody using him more now than they were before. What a mess.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx wrote:

I totally agree. What's more, the fortification *should* make it even less likely to get the burst heal to fire, since Reed's tiles aren't as likely to get matched away. The new numbers are totally underwhelming, and unlike every other non-Miles rework to date, I don't see anybody using him more now than they were before. What a mess.

Yeah, agreed. Now that I see the charts, that is unimpressive. 960 bonus damage for his countdown. Vision, a 3*, gets 1040, and costs 2 less than Mr. F. This is just not 4* worthy.
  • Wobby
    Wobby Posts: 286 Mover and Shaker
    MrF still not a priority it seems.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    bottom of the bottom tier to middle of the bottom tier
  • DrDevilDinosaur
    DrDevilDinosaur Posts: 436 Mover and Shaker
    Vhailorx wrote:

MrF Yellow procs when a friendly tile is included in an enemy match. Fortified tiles are still included in the match, so this gives them two chances at activating that power.
  • fanghoul
    fanghoul Posts: 311 Mover and Shaker
    firethorne wrote:

Yeah, agreed. Now that I see the charts, that is unimpressive. 960 bonus damage for his countdown. Vision, a 3*, gets 1040, and costs 2 less than Mr. F. This is just not 4* worthy.

But Vision only does the extra damage if he's tanking that color. So it's great when he's the last one standing, okay if you build your team around it right, and terrible if you screw that up somehow.

Mr. F's is at least more consistent in the damage, and if I'm not mistaken, you can actually have more than one countdown tile out at the same time. And it's fortified, and it's duration keeps increasing as you make matches, so the net AP cost is less than Visions for any number of turns past 4.

I'm not saying that it maybe shouldn't be improved more, but we need to start with an accurate comparison.

Thanks Brigby! In the future (or currently) when you post the updated stats, can you also post the old stats so we can see the difference?

A good thought here. Brigby, I do also appreciate the work you've done to give us the numbers formatted nicely.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    fanghoul wrote:
    Thanks Brigby! In the future (or currently) when you post the updated stats, can you also post the old stats so we can see the difference?
    A good thought here. Brigby, I do also appreciate the work you've done to give us the numbers formatted nicely.
    I wish I could take credit for the neat and tidy number formatting, but that's actually thanks to Anthony over at Demiurge. He's been the one providing me these well-documented stats.

I'll see if I can dig up some old numbers to put alongside the new updates though!
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,836 Chairperson of the Boards
    Brigby wrote:
    fanghoul wrote:
    I wish I could take credit for the neat and tidy number formatting, but that's actually thanks to Anthony over at Demiurge. He's been the one providing me these well-documented stats.

I'll see if I can dig up some old numbers to put alongside the new updates though!

Awesome thanks! The best place to find all the character's stats is located here: https://d3go.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4521
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    Surprised and pleased to see a buff to one of my favorite 3* characters. I use Falcon every day in the Big Enchilada, and getting a surprisingly reasonable AoE damage boost (for the star level), at a lower cost, is great. I still won't veer from 5/5/3, as yellow and blue are why I bring him to a fight, but it's nice to know that now purple will be handy to clean up the stragglers. I pictured a nice combo with a team stunner, Falcon's purple, against three of those irritating Tiramisu ninjas (the turn to smoke jerks). Weaken them all to <1000, stun, *bird drop*.

*EDIT* at the *** level, is Gamora as close as we get to a team stun?
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    *Added Data Charts of Old Stats
  • bigsmooth
    bigsmooth Posts: 375 Mover and Shaker
    NVM, I'm dumb
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    Man it really shows you how bad Mr. F. used to be. Overall good changes and improvements to Mr.F. He's still tricky to fully synergize, but at least he's a playable character at this point.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    So... Coercive Field really is terrible now, isn't it? By comparison, I mean.
  • fanghoul
    fanghoul Posts: 311 Mover and Shaker
    Brigby wrote:

Well, pass our thanks along to him too then icon_e_biggrin.gif
    Brigby wrote:
    *Added Data Charts of Old Stats

Cool and useful. I wouldn't have realized that the new bird strike also gives better tiles than before without this.
  • babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    Please Change the color of either Mr F's blue OR Invisible Woman's blue to Purple so that we can actually play them together!

This blue overlap in blue means that you'll NEVER want to run them together. Which is a huge shame given their lore and in game synergy. MrF's blue is easily his strongest skill and IW's blue is required for her blue/green combo. By simply changing either one of these skills from blue to purple you allow the pair to play well together. This change wouldn't hurt Mr F and Thing or Mr F and Torch either. I get that the costumes are blue but this is one of those times where game balance and FUN should win out.
  • zulux21
    zulux21 Posts: 249 Tile Toppler
    *looks at the numbers*

so... mr fantastic is still going to be one of the top characters that need a buff eh?

I can't think of a single reason to take fantastic into battle aside from theme when I could instead take ice man if I want a stun or medusa if I want team healing, or any strike character to increase match damage.

I mean sure having the abilities in one character can be nice but in this case they are all more niche support abilities that I can't think of any situation where I would want him over ice man or medusa who are quite a bit stronger in the current meta.

it would have at least been fun if he had kept his normal yellow heal amount and did the burst (aka still 3k team heal) then he would actually be quite useful.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Oh thank goodness.
    when TA Hulk got his changes I groaned because my 13 cover level 90 TA hulk was desperately in need of ISO.

This change means my Mr Fantastic can continue to languish in level 90 land!
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,154 Chairperson of the Boards
    Now that we have the numbers, I'm actually excited to use Falcon! (I've had him champed for forever but am just now realizing that I can't remember the last time I got one of his covers. Most of my 3* characters are now over 200, but he's still at 184. Is anyone else in the same boat? Have I only gotten him in DDQ this past year?)

I am also underwhelmed with Mr. Fantastic's changes at these numbers. I was expecting a better heal given that it's more situational, and the change to his black is almost moot past the fortified tile. I'll reserve judgment for a time in which I can actually use him and see how things play out, but he seems like he's in Doc Ock territory: weak to middling at best 95% of the time, a force to be reckoned with 5% of the time.

Before he's released, please boost those numbers and please change his blue to another color; if team synergy is built into his very core AND he's intended to be a support character, you can't have him overlap this much with his existing Fantastic Four teammates. It's pretty absurd that all members of the Fantastic Four have so much color overlap. 3/4 have active green, 3 have yellow (one active, two passive, so that works), two have active red, two have active blue, two have active black. None have purple.
  • Taganov
    Taganov Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    Thanks for the Falcon buff!

If Mr. F could retain true heal (at least on himself) and switch blue to purple, that'd be great.