Mind Gem Season Character Updates *Updated (2/6/17)

Comments

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2017
    Kk is the wrong analogy for reed's new yellow. The player is in total of control of kk's healing. And it only happens as added to value to something you wanted to happen anyway.

Reed's yellow requires giving control of the board to the ai, and it also costs a special tile. It's a much more stringent set of conditions.

The analogy is medusa's yellow. And here you can see how weak Reed is. His yellow only works when the ai matches friendly tiles. And it has a bonus for some teammates. But medusa does something good whenever anyone matches any tile!

Basically, unless reed is doing 2.5k+ healing for each tile his yellow will be straight up bad. Even if it does significant healing, i would prefer true healing on a single target.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't mind his change from true healing to burst healing. I didn't really use the true healing that much anyway.. it was just a nice bonus. I think the burst will be more helpful as synergy for the whole team.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Kk is the wrong analogy for reed's new yellow. The player is in total of control of kk's healing. And it only happens as added to cakue to something you wanted to happen anyway.

Reed's yellow requires giving control of the board to the ai, and it also costs a special tile. It's a much more stringent set of conditions.

The analogy is medusa's yellow. And here you can see how weak Reed is. His yellow only works when the ai matches friendly tiles. And it has a bonus for some teammates. But medusa does sonething good whenever anyone matches any tile!

Basically, unless reed is doing 2.5k+ healing for each tile his yellow will be straight up bad. Even if it does significant healing, i would prefer true healing on a single target.

The 'upgrade' in yellow doesn't change the way it should be used, you still need some special tile spammer like Carnage or Storm (or PH+OML) to use yellow properly.

I agree the appealing of yellow is limited, specially when he almost doesn't create any special tile by himself, but this has nothing to do with doing self heal or burst team heal, it is just how the power works (we can start a different debate about if devs should have changed how his yellow works though icon_e_biggrin.gif ).
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Falcon being chosen for a tweaking is... surprising, but the changes are largely positive. Less protect tiles for his Purple - but nobody really used him for protect tiles anyway. And now he does damage with it too - I'll reserve full judgement until we have the numbers, but it should help to make him somewhat less useless in those rare cases where he ends up the last man standing.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Well, I guess Mr. F is... fine. But, still seems a long way from being top tier. Here's hoping Reed will get some love with the inevitable 5* Maker variant.

portrait_incredible.jpg
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    Falcon is really never the last man standing, since he almost always tanks yellow and matching yellow tends to be a high priority when he's on your team. He'll likely always be the first one down on pretty much every team where he has a point being there.
    DayvBang wrote:
    And yeah, Falcon doesn't get talked about much compared to, say, 3* Spidey, but that's because Spidey has gone from one of the most overpowered and overused 3* in the game to a disappointing support character. From the start, Falcon never really... took off.

Actually, Falcon was amazingly OP when he was first released. His yellow buffed tiles by a percentage instead of by a fixed amount, so tiles increased in strength exponentially. That got nerfed quickly and the character fell by the wayside, but he did have a week or so of being top dog in the meta among whales.
  • DeadLegend
    DeadLegend Posts: 4 Just Dropped In
    Hmmmm I don't mind the changes. I think Mr. F needed a change, but I don't think this will make him more viable as there are better option out there for offense and support. It's nice to a 3* character getting some love, but starting with Falcon is an odd choice as I can think of a few 3* that could benefit from a buff more than him, IE Spiderman, Sentry, Psylocke, Colossus, & Vision to name a few. I think the niche' characters need a bit more love so we can see some variety in the simulator. I would think that most of the community is in a 3*-4* transition so it would be refreshing to see more 3* get tweaked here and there. I am also all for the Shield Clearance rank adjusting the draw rates for tokens, as in once you hit a certain rank, you no longer get 2* pulls. Just some food for thought.
  • Nellyson
    Nellyson Posts: 354 Mover and Shaker
    I'm very disappointed in Mr. Fantastic's changes. Burst heal is stupid when it takes up a whole skill. It should be a secondary effect in 4 and 5 star land. Seriously tho, why no stretching punches or kicks for direct damage??? Does Reed not fight in the comics cause I'm pretty sure he does! Give us a stretchy punch dannmmit.
  • Ralph-Wiggum
    Ralph-Wiggum Posts: 175 Tile Toppler
    I was holding on to a close-to-expiring (1 day!) Reed cover in case he was going to be buffed this off-season. I guess this is a buff, but he's still not worth championing, IMO. 1,000 ISO it is.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,487 Chairperson of the Boards
    I was holding on to a close-to-expiring (1 day!) Reed cover in case he was going to be buffed this off-season. I guess this is a buff, but he's still not worth championing, IMO. 1,000 ISO it is.

Honestly, if it's a choice between champing Reed or champing someone else, generally, yes, you should champ someone else. But if it's a choice between champing Reed and doing nothing - just champ him.

You hit a point when you want to champ all the 4*s. The Iso income is good enough that it's very doable.

I champed Reed a month or two ago.
  • byc
    byc Posts: 297 Mover and Shaker
    I was hoping Reed got color transforming change like Kamala's purple for blue and/or yellow. The smartest man in 616 probably should have been able to manipulate tiles better.
  • byc
    byc Posts: 297 Mover and Shaker
    firethorne wrote:
    Well, I guess Mr. F is... fine. But, still seems a long way from being top tier. Here's hoping Reed will get some love with the inevitable 5* Maker variant.

portrait_incredible.jpg

I'm willing to bet Doom gets a 5* before Richards.
  • Ralph-Wiggum
    Ralph-Wiggum Posts: 175 Tile Toppler
    GrimSkald wrote:

Honestly, if it's a choice between champing Reed or champing someone else, generally, yes, you should champ someone else. But if it's a choice between champing Reed and doing nothing - just champ him.

You hit a point when you want to champ all the 4*s. The Iso income is good enough that it's very doable.

I champed Reed a month or two ago.

Right now it's a choice between championing Reed, IW, Venom, or hoping that I can get a non-green X-23 cover to champ her. I think the last four covers I've gotten for her have been green. icon_mad.gif
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Right now it's a choice between championing Reed, IW, Venom, or hoping that I can get a non-green X-23 cover to champ her.
    Wait to see how Reed turns out and champ Invisible Woman. She's worth every point of iso. Her green is a nice hit and her invisibility tile is a match changer.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,487 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dormammu wrote:
    Right now it's a choice between championing Reed, IW, Venom, or hoping that I can get a non-green X-23 cover to champ her.
    Wait to see how Reed turns out and champ Invisible Woman. She's worth every point of iso. Her green is a nice hit and her invisibility tile is a match changer.

I'd agree. Her buff didn't make her top-tier, but it improved her a quite a bit. Without numbers, it's hard to say if she's better than Reed, but I'd say it's likely.

The other thing to consider is who you have the most covers for, really. My dividing line is the top 50% - I'll champ someone in the top 50% before someone else, otherwise I'll follow the covers. Of course, there are some arguments on who is in that top 50%. icon_e_smile.gif

(Hint - Venom isn't. X-23 is. IW almost certainly is (I champed her before her buff,) Reed... well, we'll see.)
  • Rick_OShay
    Rick_OShay Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    The Falcon upgrade is very good news. I use him continually in TBE with a yellow user and a special tile creator. I swear it's faster and/or more efficient than many 4*-only teams are. It's definitely more fun anyway.
    I have a 0/5/5 Ant-Man, so the buff to Falcon's purple is excellent in this case. These two can carry ANYONE through TBE, and it's an interesting challenge to bring along the 'dat Requred Character' to earn their additional cover.

We'll see how Reed improves. I love Quicksilver for his tile swap (and yes BagMan). It could be a very tactical and beneficial improvement (esp with Prof-X etc).
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    *Added Data Charts For Updated Abilities
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    AOE dmg for Falcon! That's nice.
  • fanghoul
    fanghoul Posts: 311 Mover and Shaker
    Wow, that was more damage than I was expecting for Falcon. Seems like a pretty decent buff.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,836 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2017
    Brigby wrote:
    *Added Data Charts For Updated Abilities

Thanks Brigby! In the future (or currently) when you post the updated stats, can you also post the old stats so we can see the difference?

At quick glance, Mr. Fantastic's buff is still very underwhelming.
    - His blue protect tile increased a measly 63 with 5 covers at 270 but the're fortified, the AP was reduced plus you can swipe tiles now so fine.
    - His yellow lost true-heal, it went from 3406 with 5 covers at 270 and it is now spread across all characters as a burst for 1667. Medusa gives slightly less at 1298 but her special tiles also give you AP if the enemy matches while Fantastic does nothing for friendly matches and the AP gain relies on having a F4 member.
    - His black still isn't scaring anyone. The buff increased the damage by 148. Yeah the tile is fortified but unless you can place it, it still isn't that great.

Maybe I'll pair him with 4* Luke Cage one day. I'm interested to see how others feel about him.

Edit: Wow Falcon got a nice buff.. he places less protect tiles but they are stronger than before! Now 8 tiles at 110 each compared to 14 at 60 plus now it's 3 less AP AND has a decent AOE.. I expect a lot of SW/Falcon teams in 3* team now