Why does my game feel like a job?

Options
babar3355
babar3355 Posts: 1,128 Chairperson of the Boards
edited February 2017 in MtGPQ General Discussion
Why should I have to wake up at 4:00 AM 2-3 times per week to try to race for a top 5 spot?

The events are so easy with the unbalanced cards, and redundant content that perfect is pretty much given each event. Yet, the only way to get a top prize is to sneak out of bed and go sit on the john while I grind the last node, as my wife frets about my recently acquired irritable bowel syndrome. Let's ignore that there are cheaters galore STILL participating in events. This is unequivocally not my idea of a good time.

Even if you don't want to fix the broken, unfair, rage-inducing tie breaker system, WHY WOULD YOU MAKE THE END TIME 4:00 AM EST! Honestly, I am very confident that a large portion of your users are based in the United States... Hell, D3 is in LA and Hiberium is in Montreal. Why would you subject your users to a race time between 1 AM and 4 AM for 3 months?!

Honestly, you guys... "I know, lets frustrate our most dedicated and biggest spending user base who are at the top of the end game for months on end with ridiculous time commitments in the hopes of beating the cheaters". It's like you want us to quit the game.

Ideas to improve:
1. Fix the arbitrary, cheat inducing tie breaker system.
2. Split the brackets up by regions so we can each have a reasonable time to race. Sorry, 4:00 AM could not be more inconvenient for the vast majority of humans. Euro zone, Asian-Pacific, US...
3. And the last and totally worst idea... rotate the start and end times so we OCCASIONALLY all have horribly awful final node times, rather than impeding the same people for months at a time!

Comments

• PastrySpider
    PastrySpider Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I will voice another suggestion I've made before. They should extend the time between the last refresh and the end of the game to be 12 hours. This means that everyone at least has a chance to finish their nodes if they are in a coalition. Doesn't solve the tie breaking problem but at least helps with folks doing progression and coalition rewards.
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I feel you on this. I've given up on trying to place on solo events deciding I prefer my healthy sleep patters to virtual rewards, only really making an effort on progression rewards, however, I do end up feeling like I let my coalition down if I do this on those events, so I make more of an effort to be up for those final points.

I think as stated above, the events come and go much to rapidly. They come up, and 22 hours later they're gone. If you just cared about progression on the east coast, that means you have the chance to at least play the match up to 10am the next day (I understand that doesn't fix ranking, but at least you have that option) but on the west coast we're stuck with play at 1am or play before 7am. Simply extending the time after the final refresh without actually refreshing the node would solve that problem. Tie-breaker issues are an ongoing issue I don't mean to disregard, but it does sound to me that this is less an issue for you of the final node refreshing at 4am and more an issue of that. If you could complete your matches at 10am with a perfect event score and still be considered to be in 1st place, I don't think this would matter.
  • Ampmp11
    Ampmp11 Posts: 77 Match Maker
    Options
    The worst feeling is waking up at 4AM EST and getting 6th place, with cheaters ahead of you.

This tie breaker system sucks. Please change it so that another time zone gets the shaft for the next X months.

Signed everyone in the USA. We may have voted for Trump but we didn't vote for this
  • James13
    James13 Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
    Options
    wereotter wrote:
    They come up, and 22 hours later they're gone. If you just cared about progression on the east coast, that means you have the chance to at least play the match up to 10am the next day (I understand that doesn't fix ranking, but at least you have that option) but on the west coast we're stuck with play at 1am or play before 7am. Simply extending the time after the final refresh without actually refreshing the node would solve that problem.

Event ends used to be on a 24hour cycle ending at 12 East/9 West. I'm honestly confused why it's changed. It wouldn't effect the charges at all currently. But maybe it has to do with the traffic of joining/ending all at the same time. There were a number of overloaded server issues.
  • babar3355
    babar3355 Posts: 1,128 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    James13 wrote:
    wereotter wrote:
    They come up, and 22 hours later they're gone. If you just cared about progression on the east coast, that means you have the chance to at least play the match up to 10am the next day (I understand that doesn't fix ranking, but at least you have that option) but on the west coast we're stuck with play at 1am or play before 7am. Simply extending the time after the final refresh without actually refreshing the node would solve that problem.

Event ends used to be on a 24hour cycle ending at 12 East/9 West. I'm honestly confused why it's changed. It wouldn't effect the charges at all currently. But maybe it has to do with the traffic of joining/ending all at the same time. There were a number of overloaded server issues.

I totally agree with all of this. West coast gets hosed with either a 1 AM final refresh or a 7:00 deadline.. possibly worse than the 4:00 AM last refresh. They really need a minimum of an hour hour window after the last node is available unless they expect some part of the globe to be adjusting their sleep patterns to play their game.
  • Koolmind
    Koolmind Posts: 39 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Since some years games are not the same, fun and play is not the goal , the goal is to be competitive espececially with internet, and to be on the top you have to spend time, money, wake up in the night, some players are cheating, games are not so fun like the beginnning. it s a mind jail, think about your feelings when you take a break and you don t "play" but we are prisonners that s why i m still here...
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,229 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I realize it was a translation thing, but I love the phrase "mind jail".

Anyone want to play MTG: Mind Jail?
  • Magog
    Magog Posts: 106 Tile Toppler
    Options
    madwren wrote:

138397.png
  • buscemi
    buscemi Posts: 673 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Deep in D3 headquaters:

"His game feels like a job? Excellent! He will never escape our clutches now...."
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,936 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Magog wrote:
    madwren wrote:

138397.png

I would have gone with Hixus, but I like the idea!
  • Koolmind
    Koolmind Posts: 39 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Mainloop25 wrote:
    Magog wrote:
    madwren wrote:

138397.png

I would have gone with Hixus, but I like the idea!

http://decktester.com/Cards?cost=9:e&ca ... Name%20ASC

When a new player entered in the game, disabled opponent
  • andrewvanmarle
    andrewvanmarle Posts: 971 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I will voice another suggestion I've made before. They should extend the time between the last refresh and the end of the game to be 12 hours. This means that everyone at least has a chance to finish their nodes if they are in a coalition. Doesn't solve the tie breaking problem but at least helps with folks doing progression and coalition rewards.

This works for nodes type events but not for fatefull showdown type events.

to the OP there are quite a lot of players in other timezones, they cope with odd end times for events too.

I'm'sorry but tailoring the game to your timezone sounds a little selfish doent it?
  • AettThorn
    Options

This works for nodes type events but not for fatefull showdown type events.

to the OP there are quite a lot of players in other timezones, they cope with odd end times for events too.

I'm'sorry but tailoring the game to your timezone sounds a little selfish doent it?

If you think that's what he's asking for, you didn't read his post correctly. Instead of changing the times around, so that different time zones get screwed about evenly, instead we have a system where the same time zones get screwed in exactly the same way, time after time. Nobody wants to screw your time zone over every time. We'd just like a rotation so that sometimes we'rein the sweet spot, and sometimes you are. That way sometimes people on the West Coast don't have to stay up until 1 am just to be able to compete. And people on the East Coast don't need to wake up at 4 am to do the same. Time. After Time. After time.
  • Volrak
    Volrak Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    Options
    For months, Australians had to be up at 4:00am to even be able to play all of their event nodes. So I feel your pain.
  • THEMAGICkMAN
    THEMAGICkMAN Posts: 697 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Volrak wrote:
    For months, Australians had to be up at 4:00am to even be able to play all of their event nodes. So I feel your pain.

Yes... I remember that. It was 3am btw
  • Volrak
    Volrak Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    Options
    From memory it was initially 3am then eventually became 4am (maybe a daylight savings switchover)... but yeah, both times completely horrible
  • Skrofa
    Skrofa Posts: 388 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Don't know why I am here but oh well!
    I am an mpq player, not mtgpq. What we've got there are five different brackets for the same event. One starts at 12 let's say, they other at 8 and so on. So, every player can choose the bracket that best suits their schedule.

I don't know hw many players you guys have and why the devs haven't brought about a similar solution for mtgpq