Underwhelmed by Kaladesh

Options
GrizzoMtGPQ
GrizzoMtGPQ Posts: 776 Critical Contributor
edited January 2017 in MtGPQ General Discussion
I'm underwhelmed by Kaladesh. After getting a decent exposure to the world of Kaladesh through the first challenge and training I found it difficult to impossible to tell what was going on. I think the new mechanics are just too muddled.

The 4th part of Dovin was mildly difficult but overall I could not predict what he was about to do or even what was important. In the end it didn't matter as the only thing that was really annoying was his counterspell. As long as I had a cheap spell to throw at the top (Transgress) I worked around it. I'm longing for the MTGPQ that existed circa OGW/SOI (before EMN). That was fun.

This is not a rage quit yet but ... I'm certainly disappointed.

Comments

• THEMAGICkMAN
    THEMAGICkMAN Posts: 697 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Seeing as i havent played it yet, im disheartened to hear this. But the set design and mechanics seem quite well designed just by looking at it. But i suppose that you really just have to play with them to really find out.
  • sageofhalo451
    sageofhalo451 Posts: 44 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Part of the problem was that we can't see what the supports are. Unless you are well versed with the new cards you cannot plan your steps well. You can try to remember where they are and what they do but if there is a board shuffle from no moves available.... lol good luck. The strategy against DB is to either deny him the ability to overload but clearing energized gems or clear supports or just overwhelm him. He has a boardwipe with fumigate so having some backup creatures ready to go is not a bad idea. Hes not terribly difficult to strong decks but he does have a lot going on with many disable and counter functions.
  • Steeme
    Steeme Posts: 784 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'm underwhelmed by Kaladesh. After getting a decent exposure to the world of Kaladesh through the first challenge and training I found it difficult to impossible to tell what was going on. I think the new mechanics are just too muddled.

The 4th part of Dovin was mildly difficult but overall I could not predict what he was about to do or even what was important. In the end it didn't matter as the only thing that was really annoying was his counterspell. As long as I had a cheap spell to throw at the top (Transgress) I worked around it. I'm longing for the MTGPQ that existed circa OGW/SOI (before EMN). That was fun.

Picked up the new PW and built him with all new cards (except for Imprisoned by the Moon which was just a safety precaution). Completely changes the game. I think this type of refresh is good for the game.

It's also interesting that energized runes are shared by both you and your opponent. So if you're both built for energize/overload mechanics, it's anyone's game.

Also, this might give a reason for any PW to include some energize mechanics, as it would be a counter to heavy overload decks.
  • Ampmp11
    Ampmp11 Posts: 77 Match Maker
    Options
    Steeme wrote:

Picked up the new PW and built him with all new cards (except for Imprisoned by the Moon which was just a safety precaution). Completely changes the game. I think this type of refresh is good for the game.

It's also interesting that energized runes are shared by both you and your opponent. So if you're both built for energize/overload mechanics, it's anyone's game.

Also, this might give a reason for any PW to include some energize mechanics, as it would be a counter to heavy overload decks.

I agree, I don't think you'll see the true power of Kaladesh until you build a complete Kaladesh deck with a PW with energy. Which really limits the use of Dovin Baan and stopping me from purchasing him. I don't have the cards to make good use of him, so it's better off for me to wait until I get some of the cards, which may never happen. Instead of the colored fat packs, perhaps they should've done an actual fat pack of just Kaladesh cards with Dovin Baan or gave crystals to help get Kaladesh cards.
  • KingEliuk
    KingEliuk Posts: 12 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I agree with all the statements above but with that being said does anyone have a good idea for building a good deck for Dovin Baan?
  • speakupaskanswer
    speakupaskanswer Posts: 306 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    The title of this thread is proven to be as insubstantial as it sounds by reading the post. Judging the set by the four-level tutorial? I'd be worried if anyone was excited by the tutorial, where you can't change your hand or do anything customized for the most part. Come on.

Energy is a lot of fun, I think and now I've built my first Vehicle and Fabricate decks to see how they play out. Everything I've seen so far feels a lot different than previous sets and that's encouraging. Just get the support bug fixed, please.
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It's possible I just don't have enough cards from the set yet, so I'm reserving final judgment, but I'll agree about energy. It's not hard to generate it, but it's a pain to use it, especially since I find my opponent often matches my energized gems without having and cards to take advantage of it, making the abilities that need energize 2, or worse energize 3 very difficult to pull off. Empyrial Tactician seems to be the only way to make sure you have a good number of energized gems available to you (side note, I've found if you can pump him up and energize every gem on the board, it means you can't place support gems!)

As far as the other abilities, fabricate has been pretty good. I changed my Liliana 1.0 deck to use it, and she's suddenly a viable choice. I had abandoned her for quite some time. Fabricate also works amazingly with Tezzeret since the servos count as supports for all his planeswalker abilities, and he can reinforce them as well as give that extra buff from his ultimate ability from all your servos on the field.

I also got a decent number of pilots and vehicles from my pulls, and can say that's where this is a really fun set. Being able to buff the cards you have in-hand is really powerful. Putting out Speedway Fanatic, Gearshift Ace, and Veteran Motorist, and you have a hand full of partially charged vehicles with haste, first-strike, and +1/+1. The synergy they built for this mechanic is really solid since adding pilots both gives vehicles in hand abilities as well as giving them mana to make them easier to cast.
  • Ampmp11
    Options
    The one card that is completely awful in Kaladesh is Rashmi. How is this a mythic? I get to fetch a card if I play something. Jori-en I get to draw a card every turn at a rare and it cost so much less.

Can someone help me out, I must be missing something
  • buscemi
    buscemi Posts: 673 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Ampmp11 wrote:
    The one card that is completely awful in Kaladesh is Rashmi. How is this a mythic? I get to fetch a card if I play something. Jori-en I get to draw a card every turn at a rare and it cost so much less.

If you play 5 cards in a turn, you fetch 5 cards.

If you don't, Rashmi is probably not the card for you.
  • Ampmp11
    Options
    buscemi wrote:
    Ampmp11 wrote:

I feel like it's missing something. At 17 cost it fetches a card whenever you play something as a mythic. Jori en at 10 cost draws a card every turn and is a rare and not to mention is stronger (4/5 vs 3/3).

The card in magic http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=417757
    says you get to play the next card in your library for free if it's a lower costed spell. Did D3 leave something out of this transfer?
  • Shadow76
    Options
    Well I was hoping to see Tamiyo but I guess Dovan will have to do. I'm thinking about a Sigil of the Empty Throne/Thopter Spy Network deck. Wish I had Starfield of Nyx. Tell me what you guys think but I think a support heavy U/W deck might be good.
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    So far, Fabricate has been what has made the most difference, power-wise. Going up against those gearhulks in the new event, you can see what fabricate and energy has the potential to do. I'd be excited to try out Fabricate with typically first-slot creatures like Eldrazi Scions, Eternal Scourge, Undergrowth Champion, etc. Seems like a much quicker way to ramp them up than slayers plate or similar.

Now, if they could figure out a way to not make the board look like a total mess visually...
  • SeditiousCanary
    SeditiousCanary Posts: 76 Match Maker
    Options
    Ampmp11 wrote:
    buscemi wrote:
    Ampmp11 wrote:

I feel like it's missing something. At 17 cost it fetches a card whenever you play something as a mythic. Jori en at 10 cost draws a card every turn and is a rare and not to mention is stronger (4/5 vs 3/3).

The card in magic http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=417757 says you get to play the next card in your library for free if it's a lower costed spell. Did D3 leave something out of this transfer?
    No, its working as intended. I run a combo off it in either Kiroa, or Nissa to ramp out either Zendikar Incarnate, or Noyan Dar, Roil Shaper using a lot of 5 cost or less gem conversion spells to either activate a lot of green matches for Zendikar Incarnate, or a lot of spells to activate Noyan Dar, Roil Shaper. In the right setup, you can queue up a hand full of spells, make a match, play spells, fetch more spells, which also get paid for, which fetch more spells. I've even had it hard cast either Zendikar Incarnate, or Noyan Dar, Roil Shaper, then keep rolling the spells.
  • morgue427
    morgue427 Posts: 783 Critical Contributor
    Options
    not a fan of kaladesh, but i dont like lgiving my enemy tools they can use agaisnt me,. hey look a grenade on the ground lets throw this back at them, nah no thanks looks like devoid is the way to go if it catches on cant energize them or even fabricate them and loyalty
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    morgue427 wrote:
    not a fan of kaladesh, but i dont like lgiving my enemy tools they can use agaisnt me,. hey look a grenade on the ground lets throw this back at them, nah no thanks looks like devoid is the way to go if it catches on cant energize them or even fabricate them and loyalty

Not following.

Energise is bad when you do it, but so good for the opponent when he does that you're looking to devoid the board?
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ohboy wrote:
    morgue427 wrote:

Not following.

Energise is bad when you do it, but so good for the opponent when he does that you're looking to devoid the board?

It's possibly the problem of a situation where you're playing a strong energize deck and your opponent can't energize well but has overload cards. Dovin vs Chandra 2 is a good example. As Dovin I energize the board but then Chandra makes the matches and her Aethertouch Renegade or Dynavolt Tower kills me for my efforts. Whereas devoid can fill your applicable spells while also denying your opponent mana. It's a stronger ability.
  • morgue427
    morgue427 Posts: 783 Critical Contributor
    Options
    yes that is what i meant denies the ai energy but the ai will never use it effectively anyways so it is pretty much a moot point. just keep up and try to take out what you can and mana deny them and you should be ok