Nissa's Challenges: Third Objectives Strategy

Options
julianus
julianus Posts: 188 Tile Toppler
edited January 2017 in MtGPQ Events
I know this event has limited rounds and rewards. so people may not too fussed about it. Nevertheless, I thought I'd share my approach to getting the second objective for the third round, using a fairly budget deck.

Keys were cheap creature removal, support destruction (very important), a card to remove energy from the board (useful, possibly not essential). My first attempt was with a blue control deck, which took no attack damage, but 55 or 60 points of damage from Dynavolt Tower. My successful attempt was using a Chandra 1 deck with the following cards:

Creatures:
Volcanic Rambler
Village Messenger
Assembled Alphas
Scrapheap Scrounger
Aethertorch Renegade (which I didn't summon, so obviously wasn't needed)

Spells:
Uncaged Fury
Unlicensed Disintegration
Demolish
Harnessed Lightning (which I luckily got in one of the daily reward booster packs)
Furious Reprisal

In addition to card selection, I needed to get lucky with the initial draw and getting an early cascade that filled the mana in some of my cards, letting me hold them in reserve for use when needed.

Basic approach was preventing initial attacks using removal, or a defender/berserker creature, while building up a reserve of spell cards to use when needed. The spells were the linchpin of the strategy, I feel the only specific creature I needed was the Volcanic Rambler - any reasonably tough defender or berserker cards could take the place of the ones I used.

Having a Demolish in hand was critical for destroying the Dynavolt Tower. Harnessed Lightning was useful in clearing the energy that regularly filled the field while removing a creature, but might not be necessary with good gem destruction (say a Rambler paired with Koth).

This could probably be done with Black, which also has good removal and has a much more common energy removal card (Die Young), though the support destruction could be a problem as Mockery of Nature is expensive. Sorin would also have access to Fragmentize through White, so it could be doable. I only have Liliana 1 in black, and couldn't pull it off in two tries.

So, hopefully this is helpful to anyone who cares. icon_e_smile.gif

Comments

• RhysMarkov
    RhysMarkov Posts: 120 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I'm glad I came looking for this, as I pretty much approached it the same way initially, with the same results. Blue control with Dovin to take advantage of the energized gems, winning but Dynavolt wrecking the bonus objective.

Think I'll try the red land D approach and see how it goes.

Thanks!
  • julianus
    julianus Posts: 188 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Good luck, it's very doable, though you might have to try a few times for a good initial setup. The AI is capable of dropping 30 or 40 mana worth of cards in the first or second turn, if things go its way, which can make it very hard to hold onto the objective.