Favorite Event from worst to best

Options
AettThorn
AettThorn Posts: 125
edited January 2017 in MtGPQ General Discussion
Seeing the other thread about PWs, I thought it might be interesting to see what people think of the various events as well.

For me, the order is:

Least Favorite
Nodes of Power: Some secondary objectives just don't make sense for the colors they are. Red gets speed kills (make sense), Green you have to summon only a few creatures (makes no sense for the color). Black you want to win while taking massive damage (and using little lifesteal to get it back).

Inventor's Fair: You have to try to use energy, but most of the decks you face aren't for this event (like the others), which means that your opponent won't be using energize and therefore there won't be a ton of gems to fuel what you need. Locking a node to a specific PW doesn't help.

Terror in the Shadows: Good event, objectives are tough but not really unfair. Sucks going up against an optimized enemy when you're trying to summon spirits, though. Would be higher if colors actually rotated through like they used to.

Fateful Showdown: Objectives can be tough, but it's a good event. Secondary objectives make sense, and at least you can choose your best PW for the task each time.

Emrakul's Corruption: Thematic, decent objectives. Only fault is the Summon 2 or more werewolves, while also summoning two or less creatures. That can be tough depending on your opponent.
Most Favorite

Comments

• Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Same list as yours, except I would switch EC with FS. If they shortened the length of FS I would like it even more
  • babar3355
    babar3355 Posts: 1,128 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Least Favorite:
    **** - No coalition incentive, no challenge, no variety (why lock the colors?)... 30+ perfect scores each event and the 2-3 of the top 5 are consistently the same cheaters recorded in QB. Stopped even playing this after getting perfect in 8 of 9 **** events. For a dupe Kaladesh rare and a booster? No thanks.

FS: OMG could you make a more boring event. I use the same deck in all but 1 battle... where I waste 20 mins with creatureless ob. Avacyn's event was way more fun and way more challenging. At least I would occasionally lose to the nightmare or avacyn or GRB. Now, I haven't lost a battle in 4 straight FS events, and only ever lose a point when Scrapheap drops Marionette master on me turn 1.

EMN: More boring objectives that don't rotate. Honestly, what is the obsession with werewolves? Must we use them in every event? Why not diversify with humans, or dwarfs, or oozes, or ANYTHING.. I don't understand why you guys struggle so hard to find interesting and fun objectives... so monotonous and boring. I will be happy to assist if you would like some ideas! Did I mention 25+ perfect score with no variety, no coalition incentive and no challenge?

Closer:
    NoP- Some argue for going back to the old NoP and making it a coalition event. I think you might actually have a multi coalition tie for first, and hear the howls of whoever finished last and didn't get the mythic or "bundle pack?" Their are just too many super powerful cards and the AI is so braindead that this event is stupid easy. Nearly 100 perfect scores last few NoP and this is without the incentive for coalitions.

The new NoP is actually pretty fun. The red node feels a lot like luck within 5 turns. I think 6-7 would be a better barometer... assuming newer players never even get close. Black, blue, and white nodes are pretty fun and seem balanced to players across the spectrum. Green node used to be screwy with moon, frog, traitorous instinct, etc causing summon ticks, but now seems pretty balanced. The only problem I have with NoP in its current state is how short it is... why not start us with 3 nodes for a total of 25 games?

IF: Probably my favorite event, primarily because it is very challenging. (Also because I got both of the grand prizes #humblebrag). My only complaint is that 72 hours is too long... shorten to 48 hours. Also, not a huge fan of having to buy certain PWs... I like having to use them, but feel it would be a better teaser to let us play with them, but then sell them the following week, rather than forcing us to buy them before the event.

All the PvE are pretty boring but at least give me a chance to test my new decks.

I honestly think all of the events have taken a bit of a step back since Kaladesh. **** used to be fun with more rotation. Avacyn used to provide a real challenge and would be fantastic with the new non-full nodes system they moved to. It just feels so boring and static and I use the same cards 100000 times and never use new ones for anything meaningful. They are also either too short or 2 long... why are our options 22 hours (ending at 4:00 AM EST) or 96 hour FS events?

Again, as a community we want to help! Please let us!
  • buscemi
    buscemi Posts: 673 Critical Contributor
    Options
    The best event was old NoP. New NoP was a decent deckbuilding challenge the first time around but I'm sick of it now.
  • Falizar
    Falizar Posts: 70 Match Maker
    Options
    Please please ease bring back the old NoP.
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,237 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    To be honest, at this point all of the PVP ones are my least favorite, because I'm so tired of running the same set of almost-the-same decks for only-slightly-different annoying objectives.

Just rotating the gd colors would be a revelation.
  • Astralwind
    Astralwind Posts: 98 Match Maker
    Options
    I like the Oath of Gatewatch and the now Nissa Challenge events.
    Fateful showdown is okay but getting repetitive and boring.
    Dislike all other events. To hell with them.

I would like to have something new. Some ideas below:

1) One very OP hard to beat NPC. High HP, high mana gain, mythic cards galore. Multiple tries possible. One win = meaningful reward. One win with 1 objective = good reward. One win with 2 objectives = very good reward.

2) Coalition collaboration against a variety of decks like Fateful showdown. Every member in the coalition only has limited number of tries.
    Coalition plans out which nodes who should fight. So the really difficult ones can be handled by the whales etc.

3) Auto-duel. You select a deck, submit it for duel. The system plays it for you against someone's else. See how far your deck can go. Elimination until a winner emerged each round.

4) Coalition collaboration against one raid boss. The boss has its own sets of OP cards and insane abilities. Everyone can contribute to fight against the boss, one at a time until the boss is down or times up. Similar to point #1 but is coalition based instead of individual.

5) More of those heroic challenges where NPC gets a headstart with some mythical cards already in play.