Pay to Win

Pay to win isn't new in this game. the new tournaments seem to be helping some but free players dont have a chance against the ones with high level 3 star heroes.

There isn't near enough opportunity for free players to get the covers for those 3 slot heroes the way the people who bought a ton of HP do.

I've placed well in at least 3 tournaments(top 10 not lightnings) and got almost all the rewards for story, and It doesn't seem to make a difference to the full
team of 100+ heroes wiping me out over and over.

I've put some massive hours into this but am close to giving up on it when it's not the skill or time put in, but the cash that wins it.

Hopefully the new tournaments and tokens will help, but I don't think it will with the same people taking all the top spots and prizes putting them even further ahead.

Hero points being the only way to train skills without covers broke the free/pay model on this game.

Comments

• even before r40 it always cost hp to upgrade without covers on **/***/**** once you got past the first 5 levels. even the * covers cost hp under the old system at ability lvl 15+
  • ya

players should be bracketed and matched up based on the amount of $ they've spent on the game
  • baller wrote:
    ya

players should be bracketed and matched up based on the amount of $ they've spent on the game

What's the point of spending money if you can't use it to get ahead >=]

Next thing you know people will be complaining that people who spend more time on the game get ahead. Maybe they should bracket players based on their playtime.
  • Light wrote:
    There isn't near enough opportunity for free players to get the covers for those 3 slot heroes the way the people who bought a ton of HP do.

I don't think it is pay to win. It may be pay to get stronger team earlier. I started first lightnings with just Thor and Classic Storm. Managed to get some heroic tokens, during current lightning rounds event managed to get 3 star covers.
    Light wrote:
    Hero points being the only way to train skills without covers broke the free/pay model on this game.
    Hero points are easily obtainable, you just won't get thousands of HP during 1 week. 100 HP from progression, PvE, etc. Don't expect to have lvl 100+ 3 star covers after 1 week.

Not sure what was devs reason for making huge buff to Thor during current tournament, thanks to it Thor can easily kill any 3 star lvl 100+ character.
  • F2p and Pvp is always a bad match.It's really hard to get the balance right that is fair to all players. You can probably count on one hand the amount of games (and there are 10's of thousands of them) that do it right.

The biggest video game company in the world (EA) still can't figure it out.
  • Unknown
    edited November 2013
    Light wrote:
    I've placed well in at least 3 tournaments(top 10 not lightnings) and got almost all the rewards for story, and It doesn't seem to make a difference to the full

Uhm, why not skip those guys? They keep making changes to make the game better for the free players. The introduction of the tokens made it far easier to get a range of covers. They give out a ton of HP. I did support the game and bought 3600 HP (during the first time they had the bonus going). My current total? 3270. And that's only because I just bought 2 cover slots in the last couple of days (numbers 25 and 26 at 350 each under the new prices). So if I had stayed at 24 (which is a ton) I'd actually have more than what I bought.

Now, admittedly, I can't place super high in the non-bracketed tournaments. I have cracked top 50 in a lightning round. But I have managed top two in the bracketed tournaments multiple times. And it sounds like you have had some success as well, so I'm genuinely (edit: NOT) understanding where your frustration lies. There are teams that are significantly stronger than mine, but I just skip them or use boosts to get the advantage.
  • Shuino
    Shuino Posts: 164 Tile Toppler
    Misguided wrote:
    Light wrote:

Uhm, why not skip those guys? They keep making changes to make the game better for the free players. The introduction of the tokens made it far easier to get a range of covers. They give out a ton of HP. I did support the game and bought 3600 HP (during the first time they had the bonus going). My current total? 3270. And that's only because I just bought 2 cover slots in the last couple of days (numbers 25 and 26 at 350 each under the new prices). So if I had stayed at 24 (which is a ton) I'd actually have more than what I bought.

Now, admittedly, I can't place super high in the non-bracketed tournaments. I have cracked top 50 in a lightning round. But I have managed top two in the bracketed tournaments multiple times. And it sounds like you have had some success as well, so I'm genuinely understanding where your frustration lies. There are teams that are significantly stronger than mine, but I just skip them or use boosts to get the advantage.

I have spent $25 dollars on this game with HP and got ZERO Covers I needed. Every thing I have maxed I have worked getting without spending money. The following Covers I have are maxed and current level:

Ragnarok (80)
    Thor (85)
    C Storm (85)
    Magneto Marvel NOW (65)
    Captain America (9)
    Daken (25)
    Venom (30)
    Black Widow (40)
    Storm Modern (2)
  • Sooty wrote:
    baller wrote:
    ya

Next thing you know people will be complaining that people who spend more time on the game get ahead. Maybe they should bracket players based on their playtime.

maybe they should
  • Ack, I meant I DON'T understand where the frustration lies. Yeesh. Sorry. I think MPQ does a good job of making the game accessible to free players. Would I rather it had been a non f2p retail release? Yes, but I really do believe they are trying to be fair while making money. There are plenty of games out there with hard pay walls. This isn't one of them.
  • Shuino
    Shuino Posts: 164 Tile Toppler
    baller wrote:
    Sooty wrote:
    baller wrote:
    ya

maybe they should

I think you need to take a step back and realize how a game works. No one is going to spoon-feed you anything. God I hope your Versus name is baller so I can just attack you all the time.

Edit:
    I'm sorry for the rash post but really, why do you even play this game if you just want to have an easy time winning what you want? Where does this attitude even come from when playing games now I honestly don't understand it. I play games for fun and because I get a good challenge and sense of accomplishment when I do something difficult. If it was easy mode to place in the Top 10 i would've most likely quite playing this game a week or 2 ago. The best part about this game is the frantic rush to keep your points up to get those covers you need/want.
  • I don't think pay2win is a big problem. I have a few #1s under my belt. I think the bigger concern is still matchmaking and points, which are a bit more detatched from pay2win. One issue that is more of a concern regarding f2pers vs pay2win is the reward system. Especially in the lightning rounds, the strong will get stronger, etc, etc.

The ideal payout situation for me would be HP alone for top 3 that they can spend as they wish. Arguably, health packs and boosts are more of a deciding factor for top placement in tournies than cards themselves. And then the cards as a second and third-rate prize. There's no reason for a tournament that requires Doom gives out Doom to the top 2. I'm fairly certain more than a few are at the point where they sell excess 3-star cards, while others are desperate for them.
  • I don't know about that. I don't speak for everyone, but half the fun of a new tournament showing up is going to see what the potential spoils are. I don't think hero points are nearly as big an inducement as seeing a cover you really want. Of course, the flip side is also true (I.e. if you have no interest in a given cover).
  • People get excited, yes, but how many actually put them to use? Majority is still c.Storm and Thor. If I was given a significant amount of HP, I would be able to max out and use Spidey for example. I think people like collecting, which is one reason people are upset at the hiked cover space prices. But the game currently requires a lot of effort on one's part to raise a character to a usable state.
  • Shuino wrote:
    baller wrote:
    Sooty wrote:
    baller wrote:
    ya

maybe they should

I think you need to take a step back and realize how a game works. No one is going to spoon-feed you anything. God I hope your Versus name is baller so I can just attack you all the time.

Edit:
    I'm sorry for the rash post but really, why do you even play this game if you just want to have an easy time winning what you want? Where does this attitude even come from when playing games now I honestly don't understand it. I play games for fun and because I get a good challenge and sense of accomplishment when I do something difficult. If it was easy mode to place in the Top 10 i would've most likely quite playing this game a week or 2 ago. The best part about this game is the frantic rush to keep your points up to get those covers you need/want.

i don't see how me being matched up against people who have spent similar time/money on the game makes the game easier. if anything it should be pretty fair.

same with people who have spent big bucks/big time on the game. it would be more challenging for them to place higher in brackets with people who have similar covers and levels, instead of having them bracketed/matched against people who haven't spent as much time and/or money obtaining and leveling characters.
  • Brackets are determined purely by when you finish your first match. Don't want to be in a bracket with the top dogs? Don't start immediately. That doesn't guarantee you won't be in a bracket without high level players, but it helps.

Matchmaking is determined by who you win/lose against in previous tournaments. So in essence people who pay more, who play more, etc. end up matched against each other.

I'm f2p thus far, but I can assure you that I'm not taking my L70-something Thor and L60-something C Storm/Wolv/whoever up against newbies -- the matchmaking system simply doesn't allow for it.

That's not to say that the matchmaking and bracketing systems don't need tweaks -- in particular I think the matchmaking system is broken, since at high point levels you start getting mostly people who are worth 0-5 points. But grouping roughly equivalent teams is certainly not one of the problems.
  • There should be a straight up ladder option where you can challenge the top 5 people above or below you, and that's it. you would theoretically be matched up appropriately as time went on and move up as your characters move up.
  • Toxicadam wrote:
    F2p and Pvp is always a bad match.It's really hard to get the balance right that is fair to all players. You can probably count on one hand the amount of games (and there are 10's of thousands of them) that do it right.

The biggest video game company in the world (EA) still can't figure it out.

LOL - EA's sole purpose in life is to **** fans for as much money as possible - they couldn't give a monkey what we think and work their dev's like slaves to continue to splurge out the 2014 - 2015 -2016 version of every game in their roster (like apple) knowing the fan boys will buy it every year! They are the devil! I still mourn for Westwood Studios and my beloved Command & Conquer! We love you Tanya!! SHAKE IT BABY! CHA-CHING!!!
  • dmendro wrote:
    There should be a straight up ladder option where you can challenge the top 5 people above or below you, and that's it. you would theoretically be matched up appropriately as time went on and move up as your characters move up.
    agree
  • Stop complaining just play smart if you know how to ! Some of the high level players are not cash players if you play long even. You will know. E.g like junsheng , archjojo, dominio they are not cash players but they can win top ten in the tournament so play smart and stop complaining
  • Aiolia wrote:
    Stop complaining just play smart if you know how to ! Some of the high level players are not cash players if you play long even. You will know. E.g like junsheng , archjojo, dominio they are not cash players but they can win top ten in the tournament so play smart and stop complaining

Aiolia: Winning isn't the issue, I even said I had finished top 10 multiple times, but getting the higher star covers is to hard without paying money. It's not a problem of being able to win or not it's about getting covers

Now there is a tournament for just 3 star heroes, pretty much saying **** you to free players. This is just the bump I needed to quit the game as much as I love the cover system is broken.
    I have a few of the 3 star heroes, but pretty much just enough to have the hero not make them usable. Maybe a future update will fix things but I don't see it happening.