Baglady no more

Options
Dormammu
Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
edited January 2017 in MPQ Character Discussion
Whenever it was that Invisible Woman was released (2... 2.5 years ago?) I got a cover. I then proceeded to ignore her. I didn't seek out her covers or plan on investing a single point of iso into her. She was 'Baglady' - a useless, dusty, forgotten cover in my roster. If she was the required character in a pve I'd just go with the loaner and ignore her. If she was required in a pve node, I'd pick 2 other characters who could carry the load and ignore her.

And then she was the required character in one of the Osborne Heroic nodes I was playing last night, and she was buffed. Now, somehow since her release I'd managed to stumble across 11 more of her covers, so mine is currently 3/4/5. As I was playing I was still ignoring her until I had gathered enough green to fill her ability. None of my other characters used green, so for the first time ever... I used the long-ignored Baglady.

She proceeded to take out a rather robust Juggernaut in one shot.

"Holy tinykitty," I said out loud.

The match ended, my foes' level went up, and I used her again. *BAM*! Juggernaut goes down in one shot again! So I start using her blue and tying up countdown tiles, Daken's strike tiles, and Bullseye's defense tiles. I use her yellow to confound my foes and wander through the color fields completely invisible, safe behind some nice defense tiles. By the end of my playing session I had leveled my Invisible Woman from 70 to 210 (when I ran out of iso) and had slaughtered my way through six clears of the entire heroic, using her in every battle.

Now, I can't wait to get her yellow progression cover, which will be my 13th, and champ her.

Sue Storm is forever 'Baglady' no more.

Comments

• Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Agreed! The devs have done a great job overall with the recent rebalances.

I noticed IW's green was insane in Combined Arms when she one-shotted my fully healed IM40.. my jaw dropped.. I also stumbled onto 13 covers without noticing. I plan to champ her with the yellow we earn in progression. Her PVE essential has been a breeze considering it's been against some tough Dark Avengers but using her Invisibility while watching Juggs and Ares use their powers that do nothing was amazing. I think she just became my new guilty pleasure.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Her recent (Oct?) buff really put her near the top of my roster. I'd champed her just before that, so I was pleasantly surprised to see the first lady of Marvel suddenly become a badtinykitty. At baseline champ the green nuke does ~ 8k, 18k boosted. The yellow hides your entire team - useful when a sniper rifle or enemy single-hit is about to go off. Blue locks are seldom used, but are a useful counter in a tough match.

I've noticed that Juggernaut is wise to the invisibility, though. After you go invis, if he has 10 red or green, he won't fire those powers until someone becomes visible. His allies will. Ares fired off a yellow (killing himself and doing no damage), while Juggs was sitting on 10 red. The turn after that, my team was still invis, and Juggs did nothing. Third turn, invis disappears, Juggs headbutts. I don't know if that's a bug or a feature, but my guess is that characters without an AoE are programmed not to fire powers if there are no visible opponents. Those with an AoE (eg, Ares' red) are unrestricted in power use.
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    So what's her build now, 4/4/5? 4 yellow to send everyone invisible and 5 green for her nuke?

Yeah, boosted she's pretty nice. 18k for green works well and the blue strikes are a fine bonus.
  • Tatercat
    Tatercat Posts: 930 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Agreed. I already posted in another thread, but she’s surprisingly vicious now, nuking my 4/4/3 OML in a SHIELD Sim fight. Invisibility & defense tiles, locking down my strike tiles and the board with bubbles (plus adding her own strike tiles) and a green nuke. Despite having an undercovered Fury and a 3* character on her team, IW really had things looking dicey for my OML/Champ Rulk/Champ Nova team. Even with a AOE attack from Red Hulk, I just couldn't seem to get anything together on the board because it was locked down. Trying to champ her right now.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Orion wrote:
    So what's her build now, 4/4/5? 4 yellow to send everyone invisible and 5 green for her nuke?

Yeah, boosted she's pretty nice. 18k for green works well and the blue strikes are a fine bonus.

I'm currently 4/4/5. I don't recall my decision-making process but it seemed like keeping blue and yellow at 4 was a good compromise. I don't think the 5th levels have a significant impact, but dropping them to 3 reduces overall utility. 5 green is mandatory. That's a big nuke. Unboosted, Hulkbuster needs 13 red to match. There are bigger on the 4* tier, but the ones I have champed are situational, requiring more effort to release the effect.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    When boosted, her green takes away 20K dmg, which is great. I like her a lot.
  • TheWerebison
    TheWerebison Posts: 431 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Yep, I was dreading her required node, but figured I'd pair her with IM40 to help her out.

Holy. Heck.

One glorious fight, I got off 2 IM40 yellows and wound up with 30 green AP and a ton of blue. I fired green once, killing an opponent. Used blue twice for a few more bubbles on enemy tiles, used green again, another dead enemy. And had the green to take down the 3rd one.

She ain't top tier, but she is a far cry better than she used to be.
  • Marc_Spector
    Marc_Spector Posts: 623 Critical Contributor
    Options
    My thoughts exactly, Dor!

(I can't believe I've been playing this game for 2.5 years icon_eek.gif )

Sue's re-do (or is that re-re-re-do with how many other times they tried and failed?) was a long time coming. She brings something to just about ANY group now. Her movekit seems adaptable and variable to the situation at hand, able to confidently defend her friends or lay down furious wrath on those who'd harm them. In essence, she feels exactly like the Sue Storm I've known and loved in the comics for ages. Well done, Devs! Between her, Cho and Star-Lord (all of whom I finally champed right away), I look forward to future complete-overhauls you may have in the pipeline for other back-benchers.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    In essence, she feels exactly like the Sue Storm I've known and loved in the comics for ages.
    Well said. Sue is always protecting her teammates, but when she gets nasty... look out! (I remember her once unnerving Dr. Doom by telling him she was about to create a force field in his brain and expand it outwards. icon_e_surprised.gif ) She does play like that now, and it's cool.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
  • AlphaNik
    AlphaNik Posts: 45 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I had her at 13 covers since forever. Championed her right away after her buff, as my first 4* champion. She got boosted and I managed to get to 900 points in PVP for the first time (to get my 13th Hulkbuster cover icon_e_smile.gif). I use her at 3/5/5 with IM40. I won't use her yellow over Iron Man's anyway and with blue at 5 it's 1k strike tiles for 8 AP (when boosted).
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    My only beef with new Bubbles is that I underestimate her when she's boosted and then my jaw drops when her green blows someone's head off.