**** Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers) ****

Comments

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Rick OShay wrote:
    Jaedenkaal wrote:
    This Sentry combo sounds hilarious with Strike tiles out, assuming the tiles are strengthened in between tile resolutions.

Wait, it does actually resolve in between, I have just tried it on the sentry node in rocket vs groot pve!!! Test it, it does work!

Agreed, I've been using Sentry with Carol in the goon nodes and I can't believe it. Drop his Sacrifice strike, then World Rupture, and try like mad to avoid matching his CD's.
    I swear I got 13 of them to resolve, and it hit the goons for a total of over 10K each, which ended the match of course. It took forever to run it out then I had to pick my jaw back up off the floor. I was hoping to see final increased value of the Strike tile before the end, but couldn't obv.

My 3rd was BagMan just to help ensure I did as little match damage as possible before World Rupture! icon_e_biggrin.gif

Sentry bombing lives!
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Has anyone tried Phoenix greenflag.png with Carol yellowflag.png ?

Instant Resurrection?
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Anon wrote:
    Has anyone tried Phoenix greenflag.png with Carol yellowflag.png ?

Instant Resurrection?
    Yes, it works just fine. Carol's yellow is very useful.
  • Cypr3ss
    Cypr3ss Posts: 155 Tile Toppler
    I found this interesting when playing with the loaner Carol in the PVP event, my team was Carol, X-23 & starlord (green strongest) and when facing off against a carol/3* Wolvie/3* Hulk (green strongest) the following occurred:

My Turn: hit Hulk a few times (powers), leaving 3 anger tiles on the board.
    AI Turn: 1st Anger tile procs, causing green matches, Carol smacks em doing enough dmg to Hulk that an extra anger tile was generated.
    Next anger tile procs, causing green matches, Carol attacks, another anger tile spawned, and so and so forth until it eventually ran through (afaict) each line on the board. It seemed to proc the newly created Anger tiles if they were 'below' the line on the board currently being processed, it was kind of an AI-winfinite... sort of... maybe.

By the time the AI turn was finished I had 26 green AP (started with less than 6), it was crazy!

Haven't quite worked out how to utilise this to my advantage, but it seems like there could be something there. icon_e_smile.gif

Regards,
    Cypr3ss.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Cypr3ss wrote:
    I found this interesting when playing with the loaner Carol in the PVP event, my team was Carol, X-23 & starlord (green strongest) and when facing off against a carol/3* Wolvie/3* Hulk (green strongest) the following occurred:

My Turn: hit Hulk a few times (powers), leaving 3 anger tiles on the board.
    AI Turn: 1st Anger tile procs, causing green matches, Carol smacks em doing enough dmg to Hulk that an extra anger tile was generated.
    Next anger tile procs, causing green matches, Carol attacks, another anger tile spawned, and so and so forth until it eventually ran through (afaict) each line on the board. It seemed to proc the newly created Anger tiles if they were 'below' the line on the board currently being processed, it was kind of an AI-winfinite... sort of... maybe.

By the time the AI turn was finished I had 26 green AP (started with less than 6), it was crazy!

Haven't quite worked out how to utilise this to my advantage, but it seems like there could be something there. icon_e_smile.gif

Regards,
    Cypr3ss.
    Yeah, the passive is quite neat. As I am a 5* player I had a lot of OML-vs-OML matches, and it was astounding how much black AP I ended up with... and just how much damage the opposing team took matching black.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quebbster wrote:
    Yeah, the passive is quite neat. As I am a 5* player I had a lot of OML-vs-OML matches, and it was astounding how much black AP I ended up with... and just how much damage the opposing team took matching black.

The passive in defense is amazing, at first I was matching green tiles (my strongest color) without realising that I was feeding black to the other team, and Iwas like 'how the hell has the other team's OML gotten enough black to cast its Living Legend". I had to adapt, and because I also had a Carol I could use this also to my advantage, but it is really annoying not being able to match my strongest color.

I saqid it somewhere else but, her passive is as annoying as 3 Carol, but her other powers are much much better icon_e_biggrin.gif

PS: Of course it is a bummer when PH's green or Thanos' black is your strongest color (and your char can't use the AP of that color) icon_razz.gif
  • Anon
    I'm heavily a PVE player as opposed to a PVP player so I still benefit from my build (Level 240 4/5/4) but I can't wait to champ her so I can freely change Her covers to whatever works best for the particular battle.

I honestly can't wait to use her with my champed 274 Punisher Max (5/5/3), have her create free strike tiles for a few turns, use her yellow to instantly down an enemy, then chain Punishers Green into Black and obliterate every remaining enemy.
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,368 Chairperson of the Boards
    I just noticed I couldn't send my Captain Marvel as team up. Is that because I only have her yellow cover, and that has a passive component to it? I thought you could send any characters that have active ability powers, but I may have been mistaken.
  • RoboDuck
    RoboDuck Posts: 142 Tile Toppler
    DeNappa wrote:
    I just noticed I couldn't send my Captain Marvel as team up. Is that because I only have her yellow cover, and that has a passive component to it? I thought you could send any characters that have active ability powers, but I may have been mistaken.

Funny, I sent Carol as a team up this morning & was wondering what I actually sent. Must have been her black. At 5 covers thats a nice TU to get.
  • notamutant
    notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    https://youtu.be/5Txlm5Wn5tA

Character analysis video. Definitely had a lot of fun playing with her. She is pretty good, and has some unique team up potentials.
  • stochasticism
    stochasticism Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    notamutant wrote:
    https://youtu.be/5Txlm5Wn5tA

Character analysis video. Definitely had a lot of fun playing with her. She is pretty good, and has some unique team up potentials.

Another team she works really well on is rulk/switch. It's already fast but adding the ability to instantly activate switch's CD when it is in a purple rich area of the board pushes it to the extreme.
  • Anon
    273 5/5/3 and I feel that's her best build. Are there times where I would've liked 5 in green? Sure, but those are far and few in between. Buffing her own tiles is nice. Buffing other people's tiles is better. I'll give up AoE for insane Buffing.

My top tier PVE/PVP team is:
    278 5/5/3 XPool
    274 5/5/3 Punisher Max
    273 5/5/3 Captain Marvel

After just a few turns of Frank and Carol Buffing tiles, along with Wade's purple helping, there is no struggle to get tiles to at least 3k+.

Then, you rain death.
  • Tatercat
    Tatercat Posts: 930 Critical Contributor
    Finally champed Carol the other day, and after using her in SHIELD Sim, there’s a really good rainbow team, perhaps the best I’ve come across (at least in the 4* range), with her and Red Hulk/Peggy. Thanks to passives, there’s no competition over colors. And even Red Hulk’s red power has value now that those countdowns are triggering Carol’s yellow passive. Carol’s green is feeding red to Peggy right now, that might change depending on the levels you have for them. I’ve done well against some 5* teams (not champs) in SHIELD sim so far, I’m going see how it goes for the rest of the season (and play around with her builds). Gotta figure a lot of people are going to look at that team and just hit skip though (fingers crossed).
  • DesertTortoise
    DesertTortoise Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    A good alternative to that team, Tater, is Peggy/Carol/Jean. You have a full rainbow of active skills, three super annoying passives and Jean's green can possibly provide some special tiles for Carol to buff. It's a tad more squishy, but the AI tends to play Jean better than Rulk as well.
  • Tatercat
    Tatercat Posts: 930 Critical Contributor
    A good alternative to that team, Tater, is Peggy/Carol/Jean. You have a full rainbow of active skills, three super annoying passives and Jean's green can possibly provide some special tiles for Carol to buff. It's a tad more squishy, but the AI tends to play Jean better than Rulk as well.

Thanks, I'll have to try that (jean is boosted this coming week). I did run up 1000 pts yesterday in SIM with that Red hulk team, and while it was very effective all the way, Red Hulk did take a beating each fight. Of course I was challenging more 5* teams than I normally do, in an effort to stress test that team, so that's probably a factor too.
  • bob554
    bob554 Posts: 169 Tile Toppler
    My current favourite team for this character is:

5/3/5 C4rol (lvl 276)
    5/3/5 War Machine (lvl 271)
    3/3/5 Medusa: (lvl 229)

This combo floods the board with special tiles, especially if you can match Medusa's CD tile a couple of times early. Further matches of special tiles will either burst health or generate AP, and Medusa provides constant CD tile generation. War Machine also provides CD tiles and special tiles, and can even deal with pesky Invisibility and Protect Tiles.

And at lvl 5, C4rol's blackflag.png is itself a beast of a power
  • Anon
    I honestly believe that 5/5/3 is the best build for Carol. Yeah the AOE is nice....when it goes off. I have played extensibly with a 5/3/5 build and find that it is extremely unreliable. I could be fighting a Big Pun team whose strongest color is black along with my Carol. 2 matches 4's, one black and one team up. Guess which one they matched?

At least with 5/5/3 I know what I am getting at all times instead of hoping the AI takes the bait.

The astronomical tile buffing is far more valuable to me than the random AOE.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Anon wrote:
    I honestly believe that 5/5/3 is the best build for Carol. Yeah the AOE is nice....when it goes off. I have played extensibly with a 5/3/5 build and find that it is extremely unreliable. I could be fighting a Big Pun team whose strongest color is black along with my Carol. 2 matches 4's, one black and one team up. Guess which one they matched?

At least with 5/5/3 I know what I am getting at all times instead of hoping the AI takes the bait.

i think you are generally correct. The exception may be mirror matches on pvp (cough*oml* cough), wheb 5 green can be a koller. But for all-around use the 6x greater tile buffing from 3-->5 yellow is too good to pass up.
  • Anon
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Anon wrote:

i think you are generally correct. The exception may be mirror matches on pvp (cough*oml* cough), wheb 5 green can be a koller. But for all-around use the 6x greater tile buffing from 3-->5 yellow is too good to pass up.

Yeah there have been *few* occasions where I'd like a bigger AOE on the tile match, but overall the tile buffing is my main configuration. And I don't see myself changing that at all barring a ridiculous nerf.
  • ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bumping this thread on behalf of her Crash being up in DDQ.