*** Psylocke (Classic) ***

Comments

• Moral wrote:
    Celerity wrote:
    So, compared to Punisher, we have...

Health: Exactly the same
    Black: 6AP for 1k single target damage and 231 instant attack tile vs 7AP for 550 AoE damage and 113 delayed attack tile
    Strike tiles: 8AP red for 1k damage + 192 strike vs 8AP green for ~300 damage + 300 strike
    Third ability: Mediocre AP steal vs mediocre damage skill

They seem pretty well balanced to me. Punisher is clearly going to be better against high HP targets, but Psylocke actually has one of the best reds in the game now, and there are lots of other characters with good green skills that she could be paired with. Psylocke/Hulk would be a better combo than Punisher/Hulk, for example.

I think retribution has far more utility than the AP steal ability. While Retribution's damage ratio isn't great, its invaluable when its taking 8k off of that 230 buffed Hulk. On average against 141 people with 5.8k it'll be ~2.3k damage for 8AP, which is still reasonable, and it only scales up from there when you're facing buffed or high level PvE heroes.

Judgement's tile destruction limits how many special tiles he can maintain. By the time I get more than 6 on the board, I'm smashing 1-2 to gain 3.

That is exactly opposite. Judgmnet destruction makes this skill even better. It gives much needed board clear. And you would be surprised how often it does not touch any strike tiles. I say Judgment is at the moment superior strike tile skill.
  • Thanos wrote:
    Btw, are you the same celerity that used to stream MTGO on twitch?

That's me.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Celerity wrote:
    Thanos wrote:
    Btw, are you the same celerity that used to stream MTGO on twitch?

That's me.

Haha, small world. I think I used to watch your stream back when I was obsessed with watching MTGO streams.
  • Her blue has been bumped up to 10 AP according to the latest patch.

Someone make a thread that they are going quit the game over this change.
  • Toxicadam wrote:
    Her blue has been bumped up to 10 AP according to the latest patch.

Someone make a thread that they are going quit the game over this change.

This is ****! I already invested ~800 ISO into this character! I demand compensation!
  • I'm outraged! I probably have a cover waiting at home! Rabble rabble rabble!
  • She will be added to my collection, dont ever plan on using her lol
  • Moral
    Moral Posts: 512
    nadarath wrote:
    Moral wrote:
    Celerity wrote:

Black: 6AP for 1k single target damage and 231 instant attack tile vs 7AP for 550 AoE damage and 113 delayed attack tile
    Strike tiles: 8AP red for 1k damage + 192 strike vs 8AP green for ~300 damage + 300 strike

They seem pretty well balanced to me. Punisher is clearly going to be better against high HP targets, but Psylocke actually has one of the best reds in the game now, and there are lots of other characters with good green skills that she could be paired with. Psylocke/Hulk would be a better combo than Punisher/Hulk, for example.

I think retribution has far more utility than the AP steal ability. While Retribution's damage ratio isn't great, its invaluable when its taking 8k off of that 230 buffed Hulk. On average against 141 people with 5.8k it'll be ~2.3k damage for 8AP, which is still reasonable, and it only scales up from there when you're facing buffed or high level PvE heroes.

Judgement's tile destruction limits how many special tiles he can maintain. By the time I get more than 6 on the board, I'm smashing 1-2 to gain 3.

That is exactly opposite. Judgmnet destruction makes this skill even better. It gives much needed board clear. And you would be surprised how often it does not touch any strike tiles. I say Judgment is at the moment superior strike tile skill.

Not as surprised as you might think since I've used Spidey, Patch and him to place top 10 in at least 12 events.

But playing those 3 you throw a lot of special tiles up there. It's always knocking out web tiles, shields, molotovs and strike tiles.
  • NorthernPolarity
    nadarath wrote:
    Moral wrote:
    Celerity wrote:

It's really dependent on your team composition. With someone like Mags for instance, destroying tiles is amazing at adding more blues to the board to chain mag's blue with. With people that also generate special tiles such as spidey and such, its going to be worse. I think in general though, if Punisher is the main special tile guy on your team, Judgment is going to do a lot of work.
  • Looks like another mediocre character. Gonna lvl her up to 50 and only use her when she gets a 100% boost.
  • From an Agent with MID leveled characters here...(disregard if you have characters in the 100s on your roster)

Honestly, I think she's badass. Well done, developers. She's extremely fast.

She works well with other players that put out strike tiles. This way her Red attack gets lowered while still doing a burst of damage. I think her with Patch is solid for attacking. He get's his Green off, adds strike tiles, and if you have her Red lower than Patchs Red, then you still have best of both worlds. Black doing that much damage that fast?! Fantastic.

After reading most of the comments here, let me say to other Mid Level Agents, she's good. But a bunch of the users posting on here have reallly good teams so I understand that they don't want find Psylocke that appealing.
  • NorthernPolarity
    bronco10 wrote:
    From an Agent with MID leveled characters here...(disregard if you have characters in the 100s on your roster)

Honestly, I think she's badass. Well done, developers. She's extremely fast.

She works well with other players that put out strike tiles. This way her Red attack gets lowered while still doing a burst of damage. I think her with Patch is solid for attacking. He get's his Green off, adds strike tiles, and if you have her Red lower than Patchs Red, then you still have best of both worlds. Black doing that much damage that fast?! Fantastic.

After reading most of the comments here, let me say to other Mid Level Agents, she's good. But a bunch of the users posting on here have reallly good teams so I understand that they don't want find Psylocke that appealing.

I think she's a good character to go into if you don't have a lot of 3* covers. I personally think Punisher is better, but Psylocke is definitely comparable and a good substitute if you manage to pick up more Psylocke covers than Punisher covers. If you're a player making the 2->3* transition, definitely go for her if you manage to get her covers.
  • She is definitely useful for this event though. Will help me land all 3 Black cat covers
  • DaloneWolf wrote:
    She is definitely useful for this event though. Will help me land all 3 Black cat covers
    Thanks for making me sad. I'd have much prefered having Black Cat over Black Panther.
  • Her red felt a bit lackluster to me honestly. You kinda feel obligated to hold onto enough red to drop.it twice before using it to make sure you get at least one lowered red via the strike tile. 15 ap therefore is giving you about 2k damage and 2 almost 200 damage strike tiles at max. Not bad, but that same 15ap can.do a lot elsewhere on a team.

Compared with punisher, I think I prefer punisher, but she isn't bad by any means and i actually somewhat prefer her black to his (note: somewhat). Punisher green>psy red. Punisher only needs 8 ap to make it viable and the board shake I've grown to find invaluable. Her blue has promise, but its even more enemy specific than punisher's red and far less useful in pve. Against high p cost users it could be pretty amazing. It would be better if the countdown drop was at skill 3/4 though. It's hard to take 2 points out of the others which are clearly her main skills.

I think she would work well as a strike tile generator on a team.with another strike tile generator that doesn't throw it onto res or black on purpose. Patch, spidey, psylocke sounds pretty good.

Side note: when spidey is nerfed, I wonder if black panther will make a solid substitute for him. You swap the heal for more strike tiles and damage and the stun, that will certainly be nerfed hard, with a defense tile generator that covers spidey's purple. Heck, spidey/patch/black panther sounds like a pretty decent team. Covers all the colors, lots of defense to help.mitigate that extra strike tile damage done to yourself, more strike tiles if you don't need to heal, and what looks at a glance could be a very solid black ability
  • Unknown
    edited February 2014
    Her red felt a bit lackluster to me honestly. You kinda feel obligated to hold onto enough red to drop.it twice before using it to make sure you get at least one lowered red via the strike tile. 15 ap therefore is giving you about 2k damage and 2 almost 200 damage strike tiles at max. Not bad, but that same 15ap can.do a lot elsewhere on a team.

I agree with most of your assessment, but what do you mean about wanting to save enough red for two in a row? I assume you'd get a lot more damage by using it right away in combination with the black rather than worrying about maybe saving 1 red AP down the line.

14AP (8 red/6 black) = 2.2k damage + 400 attack tile damage = 2.6k single target damage total, plus 400 for every turn the tiles stick around.

With Punisher, it's:

15AP = ~300 damage + 2500 AoE damage = only about 1100 single target damage total, then wait 3 turns before you start getting the 400 damage per turn. The extra match you need for the black plus the three turns you have to wait for the attack tiles means you might lose ~1500 damage total compared to the Psylocke combo.

Even while I was using her at level 20 with 1 black cover (powered up, but still really low damage), her black outdamaged Punisher's black after Judgement simply because it triggered the strike tiles so much earlier than Punisher could. More importantly, the damage is concentrated on one character, which is way more efficient than AoE, especially in this meta when you really just need to kill a Patch quickly. She's an assassin, and she fits her role well. I think people are severely underrating this character.
  • DaloneWolf wrote:
    She is definitely useful for this event though. Will help me land all 3 Black cat covers
    Thanks for making me sad. I'd have much prefered having Black Cat over Black Panther.
    Oh wow sorry mis type lol.. I definitely prefer black cat though.
  • Celerity wrote:
    Her red felt a bit lackluster to me honestly. You kinda feel obligated to hold onto enough red to drop.it twice before using it to make sure you get at least one lowered red via the strike tile. 15 ap therefore is giving you about 2k damage and 2 almost 200 damage strike tiles at max. Not bad, but that same 15ap can.do a lot elsewhere on a team.

I agree with most of your assessment, but what do you mean about wanting to save enough red for two in a row? I assume you'd get a lot more damage by using it right away in combination with the black rather than worrying about maybe saving 1 red AP down the line.

14AP (8 red/6 black) = 2.2k damage + 400 attack tile damage = 2.6k single target damage total, plus 400 for every turn the tiles stick around.

With Punisher, it's:

15AP = ~300 damage + 2500 AoE damage = only about 1100 single target damage total, then wait 3 turns before you start getting the 400 damage per turn. The extra match you need for the black plus the three turns you have to wait for the attack tiles means you might lose ~1500 damage total compared to the Psylocke combo.

Even while I was using her at level 20 with 1 black cover (powered up, but still really low damage), her black outdamaged Punisher's black after Judgement simply because it triggered the strike tiles so much earlier than Punisher could. More importantly, the damage is concentrated on one character, which is way more efficient than AoE, especially in this meta when you really just need to kill a Patch quickly. She's an assassin, and she fits her role well. I think people are severely underrating this character.

Wasn't saying it was the right move to hold on, sometimes it is..sometimes it isn't, just that due to the nature of the skill a single strike tile is pretty easy to destroy and over the course of using a few of her red those add up. Hence me thinking it lackluster....I feel I should hold on, but there isn't enough benefit to holding on so the move almost acts more like its base stats without the - 1 ap chaining being more than a lucky afterthought.

Also, not sure ppl are underrating heras much as she just isn't a revelation, just a tweek on another character's formula. It means ppl already using that other character or characters are less likely to throw ISO at her when they already have something covering that gap in thier team. Do you need both punisher and psy? No. Is one better? It's certainly arguable either way imo...especially team dependant. I would take her over punisher on a patches team on a heartbeat for example. In PvP I would take punisher. On a team.with spidey it depends on what your goal for speed vs chances of winning are.

As for the black, it really depends on how much of the color you are picking up and if you are keeping the board locked, stunned, etc. Most situations I would take higher single damage with lower ap and an instantly useable damage tile. If the board is going to be locked and you are aiming for another color (like with a spidey team and blue/purple) then I think you are better off, slightly, with punisher because he makes better overall use of that single attack over, let's say, 6-7 turns because he puts far more items on the board meaning less worry about destroying it with a move or a cascade. Also, aoe always has its benefits.in and of itself. That said, generally I do like her black better. If I could give punisher her black and keep his other two skills over hers I probably would.

For.me? Personally? I have punisher @85. Not so fad down j coukdnt swap to her, but I haven't lvled him because I am.waiting to sed if xforce becomes the beast he should be of not. If no...then ill probably still put into punisher as his red is invaluable in pve.
  • I don't know what it is, but I love this character. I only placed top 50, so I only got 2 colors. I wish I had worked a bit to get her blue. Very few characters have I taken an immediate liking to. From first reading about her abilities, I'm thinking 5/3/5. A three-count timer leaves too much to chance. If the countdown timer decreases as it levels up, it might change to 5/4/4. But they also just increased the AP requirement for Bewilder. This is another character whose three abilities are almost equally cool. She's a combination of Black Widow, Wolvie and Doom. Maybe not the same damage levels. I don't know; I haven't done math. But she seems pretty damn awesome at first glance.
  • her blue is too much . better to steal from all ap color equally than concentrate on 1 highest ap color. it seems not likely the enemy gather so much ap to be stolen. at that time they would already use it. not keep it till 19+
    yup. mediocre char. except her 3 star limit. i prefer obw. not even compared to gsbw usefulness