Is there a 3* to 4* transition guide?

Options
Ronfar
Ronfar Posts: 150
edited January 2017 in MPQ Tips and Guides
I've got a lot of 3* champions but not that many 4* characters yet; my highest covered 4* are X-Force Wolverine and Invisible Woman, both at 3/3/3. At what point do I want to actually use 4* characters in matches?

Comments

• WalrusBrigade
    WalrusBrigade Posts: 94 Match Maker
    Options
    I don't know of a formal guide. At this point I have 7 champed 4 star.png characters, and while I'm not certain I am the most qualified I can tell you what I did and what I would do differently this time.

One of the struggles of this transition is the randomness of how the 4 star.png covers come your way. What that means is you aren't sure what is going to be champed first. I got good progress on icon_wolverine.png and was close to champing, dumping ISO into him the whole time I was making my 2-3 star.png transition. Then I got a few icon_ironman.png and started pouring ISO into him. The problem was that neither was particularly well covered and so my ISO was boosting a character that messed up my scaling before I was ready. So I spent a long time just developing 3 star.png characters so I had a deep bench. When the time came to start pushing for 4 star.png covers I still wasn't getting what I wanted. I champed XFW and had a few covers in IW and MR. Fantastic, but I didn't want to put ISO into them. I decided that what I needed to do was make sure that when I made the leap into 4 star.png land it was with the right characters. So I started looking at which 3 star.png would get me the 4 star.png I needed, and worked on getting more covers of those.

This was while I was finishing my 3 star.png champions (netting me plenty of 4 star.png covers that I held but didn't put ISO into) and all my characters were looking up at level 183. Once clearance levels started it made things easier because I could direct my 4 star.png covers a bit more. As luck would have it I had a few characters that I champed ahead of schedule, but for the most part if a 4 star.png wasn't in the top ten that I wasn't going to pour ISO into it and mess my scaling up (also I avoided all but the top three 5 star.png and only rostered them after I had two fully champed 4 star.png so the 255 level didn't mess with my scaling). Now I've got 7 solid 4 star.png champs, a slew of 3 star.png that can help and I am spending my time filling out my 4 star.png covers and only putting ISO into 4 star.png that are at the top of the tier list and still incomplete.

If I had this to do again I would probably work harder at completely filling out my 3 star.png before starting to spend legendary covers on 4 star.png . I left a few 3 star.png out of my list that were important feeders, especially given 2 star.png farming potential. I didn't have Patch in there at all, and also avoided 2 star.pngicon_wolverine.png because I couldn't use them with XFW. Well that stalled the rate at which I got one XFW cover, as well as many other rewards. I'm still not at the point where I am getting a second 4 star.png covers from champing my 3 star.png , but while it is a long transition I feel like I can play in the 4 star.png space while my roster fills up.

I hope that helps somewhat. It is a slow transition, but the overall lesson is to not race towards lower tier 4 star.png just because they are the most accessible. You'll just bump your scaling and drag this thing out even longer.
  • Astralgazer
    Astralgazer Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I also need this. I'm one toe into 4* land and have precisely one 4* fully covered (Thoress). Some others are well covered and usable at lv 172-188. This is where a guide would help me direct my ISO investment. At least a guide on the usability of each 4* character. Please make one. Anyone?
  • FokaiHI
    FokaiHI Posts: 272 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I think it would depend on the covers, but peggy and iceman would be a good place to start. Those are both great in pvp and pve. Outside of that, people can argue the next ten, but the first two for me would be them. Of course they were last though. Lol.
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    Options
    i hoard lots of cp and typically buy the last 2-3 covers to max top tier characters.
    a top 5 buffed champed 4* makes your life a lot easier.
  • moogles85
    moogles85 Posts: 184 Tile Toppler
    Options
    If you want a 4* transition guide, read Jarvinds:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=56176
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,410 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Looking back, when my roster was mainly 166 3*s, my main source of 4* covers were top pve rankings and the 1000 progress cover in pvp. The legendary tokens and command points help some what, but you're better off hoarding it (especially for 5* sake. Earlier, your 4* pulls are all needed covers but eventually, you start pulling dupes. It happens sooner than you think and way before the odds of dupes would otherwise suggest). Now pve rewards had become a lot better, you get one mid way through progression (in the right scl), and each event rewards 4* as the top prize. Not to mention, 3* champion rewards. On the down side, even though pvp progress has dropped to 900, that has become a lot harder to reach without 4*. You could join pvp late, (like last 30mins) and hope to snipe a fresh bracket.
  • Astralgazer
    Astralgazer Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    moogles85 wrote:
    If you want a 4* transition guide, read Jarvinds:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=56176

Thanks!
  • Mercalla
    Options
    I'm in a similar position, just a little behind you in the transition. I have all but Thanos champed in 3* land, and I've been opening legendary tokens until I got one 4* to 10 covers, which happened with Antman about a week ago. Now I start the hoards, so much hoards. I will start opening tokens when I have 360k iso and 300+ CPs, and keep opening until either I get 13 covers to champ a 4*, or if I get a 6th color cover on a character with 10+ covers. For the 6th color cover, I'll spend CP's to get them champed and then stop opening tokens and start the hoard again.

The secret is you have to hoard softly at first, then when the game is into it, you gotta hoard hard.