You Don't Want to Whale Classics

Comments

• firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Can we get this thread stickied?
  • Ludaa
    Ludaa Posts: 542
    I don't want to whale anything! Hopefully it's now to the point where 5* progression is obviously a sham, and the Devs are ready with a new and improved carrot to chase after.

/hoarding continues...
  • Mr_Sinister
    Mr_Sinister Posts: 356 Mover and Shaker
    broll wrote:
    Classics are completely useless at this point.

This is an overstatement, not a huge one, but still an overstatement. Classics are still the best value for people who aren't knocking on the door to 5*, which I'd imagine is probably 90% of total player base. The 5 CP discount means 20% more chances to pull 4*s and/or 5* and for many people in that camp it's extremely unlikely that they ever pull an unusable 5*.

That being said both 4* and 5* progression is far to locked behind an unforgiving RNG that get's longer every 2 weeks.

It's not an overstatement at all. You don't want to whale 5* classic characters. It doesn't even matter where you are in the game. If you want 5* characters, you don't use resources on classics. The point of the topic is 5*'s, not 4*'s.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    pheregas wrote:
    Keep in mind that if you do pull a bunch of dupe covers, customer service will not help you for Classics. They only help Latests. So if you are pulling that many classics, make sure you have a ton of iso laying around.
    According to recent CS emails exchanging Latest dupes is a limited time offer and will be ending WITHOUT NOTICE

A39lvR4.png?1
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    broll wrote:

This is an overstatement, not a huge one, but still an overstatement. Classics are still the best value for people who aren't knocking on the door to 5*, which I'd imagine is probably 90% of total player base. The 5 CP discount means 20% more chances to pull 4*s and/or 5* and for many people in that camp it's extremely unlikely that they ever pull an unusable 5*.

That being said both 4* and 5* progression is far to locked behind an unforgiving RNG that get's longer every 2 weeks.

It's not an overstatement at all. You don't want to whale 5* classic characters. It doesn't even matter where you are in the game. If you want 5* characters, you don't use resources on classics. The point of the topic is 5*'s, not 4*'s.

Look at my quote... I was not saying "You don't want to whale 5* classic characters" was an overstatement. It's clearly not. I was saying that "Classics are completely useless at this point" is an overstatement because there is a valid use that applies to the majority of the game, they are only useless for the very top percentage. It's definitely still a huge deal, but I can't help but play devil's advocate when people says sweeping generalizations like that.
  • broll
    fmftint wrote:
    pheregas wrote:
    Keep in mind that if you do pull a bunch of dupe covers, customer service will not help you for Classics. They only help Latests. So if you are pulling that many classics, make sure you have a ton of iso laying around.
    According to recent CS emails exchanging Latest dupes is a limited time offer and will be ending WITHOUT NOTICE

A39lvR4.png?1

I guess CS got this for Christmas:
    51c6-CHpJGL._SX364_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

icon_lol.gif

In all seriousness, hopefully that means they have a major change coming that should lessen the need for it and once that rolls out this 'service' will go away. Probably just wishful thinking.
  • HaywireII
    HaywireII Posts: 568 Critical Contributor
    mpqr7 wrote:
    Oof, I need an OML Yellow very, very badly.

I'm day 423 with no yellow OML (just a sad 2/0/0). How about you?

Since I only have 23 4* characters at 13 covers I'll still be only opening classics for some time to come. Also I'd rather get another cover for my 2/2/2 BSS than a first cover for a 5* I haven't rostered yet.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    HaywireII wrote:
    mpqr7 wrote:

I'm day 894, 5/1/5. I pulled the majority of my OMLs when I had played around 500-600 days, to the best of my memory. It was great when it happened, but as the months go on, it begins to feel stagnant without any further progress.
  • Mr_Sinister
    edited January 2017
    broll wrote:
    broll wrote:

Look at my quote... I was not saying "You don't want to whale 5* classic characters" was an overstatement. It's clearly not. I was saying that "Classics are completely useless at this point" is an overstatement because there is a valid use that applies to the majority of the game, they are only useless for the very top percentage. It's definitely still a huge deal, but I can't help but play devil's advocate when people says sweeping generalizations like that.

It's all good in the neighborhood. We definitely agree 5* classics need adjusting.
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    HaywireII wrote:
    mpqr7 wrote:

Since I only have 23 4* characters at 13 covers I'll still be only opening classics for some time to come. Also I'd rather get another cover for my 2/2/2 BSS than a first cover for a 5* I haven't rostered yet.

The odds of getting OML (Yellow) now are ~.56% or 1:177 icon_e_sad.gif
  • broll
    edited January 2017
    The topic is 5*. It is meant very specifically in the context of 5* characters. The graph is 5* characters.
    The implied meaning is "classics are completely useless (for 5* characters) at this point.
    At no point are 4* mentioned, or intended to be involved in the topic. Hopefully this clears it up.
    Edit: I was beating a dead horse, feel free to delete.
  • HaywireII
    HaywireII Posts: 568 Critical Contributor
    Hendross wrote:
    The odds of getting OML (Yellow) now are ~.56% or 1:177 icon_e_sad.gif

Then I'm only 22 pulls away (if only odds worked that way).

My hope is that by the time I'm done with (burnt out?) on 4* characters I will have at least a few usable 5* characters. I completely agree that the numbers show it would be futile to try to whale the classics but I spent most of a year going from a 1* to 3* roster and now my 2nd year will probably be all about moving from hoping that my 4* champs are boosted this week to having the majority of each week's boosted characters be champed. During that time I have watched 5* covers trickle in so as long as the trickle continues they will slowly get covered.
  • nigelregal
    nigelregal Posts: 184 Tile Toppler
    What are the odds from doing Latest Legends tokens?

I am currently saving and hoarding to blow on latest legends. I'm at 70 pulls right now but want to know what point I should wait to before starting to open Latest?

Technically I only need to champion 1 or 2 5*

Dr Strange 1/0/2
    Black Widow 0/4/1
    Thanos 0/0/0
  • Square-Chopper
    Square-Chopper Posts: 54 Match Maker
    Classics are useless at this point for obtaining 5* characters.

There, fixed it for you. I think pretty much everyone knows what I meant, but by all means, feel free to keep arguing over the semantics of how I said it. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    nigelregal wrote:
    What are the odds from doing Latest Legends tokens?

I am currently saving and hoarding to blow on latest legends. I'm at 70 pulls right now but want to know what point I should wait to before starting to open Latest?

Technically I only need to champion 1 or 2 5*

Dr Strange 1/0/2
    Black Widow 0/4/1
    Thanos 0/0/0

https://d3go.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=55098

Starting Zero Covers

1 of 3 Latest
    No CS Assistance = 230 Pulls
    w/ CS Assistance = 200 Pulls

3 of 3 Latest
    No CS Assistance = 390 Pulls
    w/ CS Assistance = 300 Pulls

1 New Featured
    No CS Assistance = 150 Pulls
    w/ CS Assistance = 130 Pulls

In your specific scenario, to finish any 1 of the current 3 latest;
    182 without CS Support
    140 with CS Support
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    Classics are good for 4 transition
    new for getting a 5 in like the time you have until they move to the classic pool.

They (accidentally?) intentionally stopped making this game a collectathon past the 3 star tier.

Looks like they are aiming for making it so you aren't MEANT to cover classics if you didn't get them in the latest packs for now.

it's horrible design..
    just observing.

i do know once I'm comfortably in the 4 tier, I'm out the game because 4's already been enough of a nightmare with 40+ bi weekly releases of even more underwhelming copies of existing characters

5's are like rare comics that go out of print, in a game where you are encouraged to not only collect them all but collect an additional hundred covers of them on top to power them up.

icon_rolleyes.gif

I feel like if 5's failed on concept of CP and availability, this system likely wouldn't have spiraled in this way.

But the second the idea of spending, no matter how exponential the costs, to get ahead of other players got introduced for a tier so much stronger than the last, the contract was signed.
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    I honestly don't know why you'd *want* to max cover and champ a 5*; top tier play sounds like an absolute nightmare in both PVE and PVP.
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    They need a rotating classic pack.

New Legendary - 25 CP - 5% odds on each of the latest.
    Revolving Classic Legendary - 25 CP - 5% odds on getting one of three revolving 5*s.
    Classic Legendary - 20 CP - 15% odds on getting any of the 5*s

If you pull a 4*, you should get a 3 CP bonus/refund.
  • broll
    Buret0 wrote:

Revolving Classic Legendary - 25 CP - 5% odds on getting one of three revolving 5*s.

I've thought of and seen this suggested before. That would only be a band aid. If they continue growing out 5* like the have 4* without any changes but what's listed above then we get to a point where there were 40 5*s both RCL and CL would be as overfilled as CL is now.

A better solution would be to have some system where you can cash out unusable covers for covers you can use. I've seen several good examples of this:
    1. You get a 6th cover that you can't use, you could pay some price, let's say 40 CP to convert this to another cover for the same character that you can use (this would be not all that dissimilar to the 'service' currently provide by CS for Latest Legends).
    2. Have the game keep track of the extra covers you get and each time you get 3-5 of the same useless cover, you get to select a usable cover.
    3. The infamous colorless covers.

Any of these would be a system that would help with this character bloat in a general way vs a specific way and would carry over into other avenues for if/when 6*s became a thing, it could also help those in the early game building up 3* & 4*s. It could even improve 2* farming depending on how it was implemented.
  • Mr_Sinister
    broll wrote:
    Buret0 wrote:

I've thought of and seen this suggested before. That would only be a band aid. If they continue growing out 5* like the have 4* without any changes but what's listed above then we get to a point where there were 40 5*s both RCL and CL would be as overfilled as CL is now.

A better solution would be to have some system where you can cash out unusable covers for covers you can use. I've seen several good examples of this:
    1. You get a 6th cover that you can't use, you could pay some price, let's say 40 CP to convert this to another cover for the same character that you can use.
    2. Have the game keep track of the extra covers you get and each time you get 3-5 of the same useless cover, you get to select a usable cover.
    3. The infamous colorless covers.

Any of these would be a system that would help with this character bloat in a general way vs a specific way and would carry over into other avenues for if/when 6*s became a thing, it could also help those in the early game building up 3* & 4*s. It could even improve 2* farming depending on how it was implemented.

A CP price to change the cover color would solve the problem without a doubt. Still doesn't help the issue of classics being overly diluted though.
    5* only token should be a thing at this point. 100cp, 150cp, locked by shield level, whatever but as is it's a joke.