**** Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers) ****

Comments

• babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    edited January 2017
    Impressions:

Black: Great! I've always been a huge fan of strong strike tile characters because they create an ongoing threat that does not depend on the characters survival. Over time they just seem to deal more damage than a single target skill...especially as we see less and less Jean Grey acting as a counter to special tiles these days. The fortified tile needs to last 3 turns to be 'worth' the AP cost in my opinion. Everything after that is just win.

Add to that the synergy with her Yellow and you have a means to ensure you get the damage value out of this as soon as the board state is no longer favorable. Yellow is extremely low cost so its not entirely unreasonable to setup this combo in just about every game.

Yellow: Great! This is the kind of skill that creates builds. They might not be PvP competitive builds but it'll be FUN gameplay either way. Wasp creates 1 turn CD's that resolve every single turn to abuse this trigger. Green Goblin's black generates 3 powerful strikes that trigger this passive several times in the process. Even Sentry's green makes a bit of a hilarious team in buffing whatever tiles you got on the board in the process.

Even if you don't want to compliment anyone with Danvers her yellow remains strong with how it naturally pairs with her black. A fortified tile should easily be able to stick on the board for a couple turns for this to buff.

Green: Good! This is the skill that I'm on the fence about. Is it just plain good or is it incredible? It's a tricky question to answer because it depends on what the AI matches. Will the A.I trigger this much? Will you often share the same colors?

On defense will this be great? Anyone bringing in a decently rainbow team should be able to avoid matching the danger color while killing Danvers with a secondary offensive skill. I realize defense largely doesn't matter in this game but there are characters that deter such as Rulk and there are several others that won't cause any hesitation to hit. If a character potentially deters hits in favor of another target worth the same points then its done it's job. I'm not sure if Danvers will be that character.

Best Build: I'm currently leaning towards 5/5/3. Her green has potential to be truly excellent but the way I see it is that the draw is more about the AP gain over the bonus damage. 3 covers should be sufficient. If I'm using Danvers in pvp and am leaving her on defense I'd probably swap her 5/3/5 since you can't count on the AI to play her actives properly.

Overall: 4* Danvers definitely has top tier potential for people in 4* tier and transitioning from 3* tier. As a 5* tier player I have a hard time believing she'll replace Star Lord or Peggy as a 3rd to go with my dual champed 5's. On paper I'm reasonably sure she has potential to be in the top 5 or top 10 of 4*'s in the game.
    Gari wrote:
    No one sees the winfinite. NOt surprising.
    By all means keep this to yourself but D3 will find out and when that happens its entirely possible we'll see changes soon after. We've frequently seen nerfs directly related to true winfinite builds. Especially if executing that winfinite can be done in a timely competitive manor. Whether or not the nerf will hit Carol Danvers or another part of the combo remains to be seen but I for one hope that Danvers isn't nerfed. For what its worth I don't see the winfinite but that shouldn't be surprising as you point out.
  • Skygazing
    Skygazing Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    Skygazing wrote:
    Poll added, though in this case I think it's pretty safe to say 5/3/5 is the way to go 99% of the time.

Not sure it's that cut and dry.

Her black is (mostly, see below) a lock 5 covers. 1100 in strike tiles and/or 12k damage for 8ap is hilarious, even if it's CD based. (The 'or' coming from being able to do black->yellow and skip the strike creation).

For the other colors, if your strongest color doesn't match the opponents, then you're talking only the difference between 3 and 4AP per enemy match on that color. This becomes like the 4Cyc yellow argument, where it's not worth 1AP sporadically to sacrifice the big difference in the other power; the difference between a 384dmg buff and a 1281 dmg buff is a very large one.

Since Carol herself creates a countdown, it's less likely that you go into a match where the yellow passive has zero utility. It's also much easier to build your team construction to really maximize her yellow, as opposed to building teams to maximize the green. As someone mentioned, a Sentry TU w/ her yellow is the difference between a 6k buff and a 20k buff (if all tiles resolved). That's monstrous.

I lean heavily 5/5/3, with maybe a 3/5/5 flex when you're in PvP with OML vs OML matches.

I see a lot of people pushing for 5/5/3 but I think that's overvaluing tile strength increase. There are two issues with that type of strategy: one is that you need to actually be able to consistently generate and buff said tiles, and two is that you need to be able to protect them from just getting matched/destroyed/converted. You say it's a difference of 384 vs 1281, but that's only under the assumption that you have three tiles out in the first place.

It's probably not as cut-and-dry as the 99% I originally put it at, but I think for the majority of situations 5/3/5 is the better general build. Pairing her with people like Starlord and Blade? Sure 5/5/3.
    Straycat wrote:
    Does it do both steal and deal damage when the strongest colors match? It doesn't say also in the description so I am not sure

I've seen this question pop up a few times now and the answer is yes, if the enemies' strongest color is the same as yours you deal damage and generate AP. I.e. in the DPvsMPQ Bullseye essential, bringing Carol and a purple primary means that pretty much every time SW's passive goes off the team takes 2k damage and you get 4 purple AP.
  • veny
    veny Posts: 834 Critical Contributor
    Skygazing wrote:
    veny wrote:
    So, yellow passive works always, or only for CD tiles quickened by the active yellow?
    Description is not clear enought and if it works for all CDs, it would make insane OP combo with some chars (Loki etc.)

From my own testing her yellow works with all CDs, not just ones she uses the active power on. And yes it gets pretty silly with characters like Starlord and Loki.
    So, Hulk, Red Hulk (his passive was useless anyway)... how about 3* Blade black? It reaches 0 every round icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • notamutant
    notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    veny wrote:
    Skygazing wrote:
    veny wrote:
    So, yellow passive works always, or only for CD tiles quickened by the active yellow?
    Description is not clear enought and if it works for all CDs, it would make insane OP combo with some chars (Loki etc.)

From my own testing her yellow works with all CDs, not just ones she uses the active power on. And yes it gets pretty silly with characters like Starlord and Loki.
    So, Hulk, Red Hulk (his passive was useless anyway)... how about 3* Blade black? It reaches 0 every round icon_e_biggrin.gif

From the description, it says every time the CD expires, not reaches 0. Blade's just goes to 0 and back to 1, it doesn't expire. Would need to test to confirm.
  • geno685
    geno685 Posts: 53 Match Maker
    i think that beast and torch, who i saw as low tier 3 stars just became a bit more useful, especially if beasts blue gets the tiles out and then carols passive activates giving them a boost right away, if that does work, the black panther's blue just became a nightmare. But back to torch, it makes his green deadly if you can keep those tiles from inferno on the board.

As for some fellow 4* characters that i dont see being mentioned much, what about ghost rider, i know that two colors overlap, especially having two good blacks, but for GR's black you need to take damage whereas carol's is great whenever, and with GR having two abilities that involve countdown tiles and special tiles, it can make them usable. In that regard ant man would be great as well between his yellow and blue, and it can buff those nice pink attack tiles making the argument to have carol's yellow at 5 a reasonable choice. Medusa seems like a good partner as well but i dont know much about her to say.

Overall i say she will be great, way better than thanos, which I still am confused on how they made the 5 star version decent and totally dropped the ball on the 3star version with one power.
  • vinsensual
    vinsensual Posts: 458 Mover and Shaker
    Looking at her black power, it's very similar to War Machine's red. Except WM's 2k damage at the tile's conclusion is peanuts compared to Carol's. Of course it's 4 turns vs 5 turns, and WM has a chance to produce more than 1 special tile per turn, but at 8 AP she's very likely to be throwing that black out multiple times per fight.

I'm just whining because I'm so close to getting my War Machine champed. icon_cry.gif
  • Skygazing
    veny wrote:
    geno685 wrote:
    i think that beast and torch, who i saw as low tier 3 stars just became a bit more useful, especially if beasts blue gets the tiles out and then carols passive activates giving them a boost right away, if that does work, the black panther's blue just became a nightmare. But back to torch, it makes his green deadly if you can keep those tiles from inferno on the board.

Can confirm from testing that all of the above works.

Powers like HT Green, BP Blue, and Blade Black trigger Carol's Yellow passive every time they reach 0. Also worth noting that using the active part of her Yellow reduces them to 0 and triggers the passive, but then they reset as they normally would.

Beast's Blue creates the tiles, and then Carol's Yellow passive improves them.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think she will be like xpool, in that both 5/5/3 and 5/3/5 are completely viable builds in different situations. If you know that strongest colors will overlap, or that the ai will be generating more matches in that color, then 5 green becomes a lot more tempting.

But a tile buffing build also seems very viable. Especially since she looks avoe to generate a fair number of specials on her own (unlike a lot of other special tile-centric characters like x23).
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    babinro wrote:
    Yellow: Great! This is the kind of skill that creates builds. They might not be PvP competitive builds but it'll be FUN gameplay either way. Wasp creates 1 turn CD's that resolve every single turn to abuse this trigger. Green Goblin's black generates 3 powerful strikes that trigger this passive several times in the process. Even Sentry's green makes a bit of a hilarious team in buffing whatever tiles you got on the board in the process.

This Sentry combo sounds hilarious with Strike tiles out, assuming the tiles are strengthened in between tile resolutions. Each tile doing progressively more damage as the Strike tiles get better and better. Just need a character with Green as a strongest color to accelerate green AP to get World Rupture as often as possible. Preferrably one who makes Strike tiles. Phoenix comes to mind. I don't think there are any in the 4* tier. TAHulk would probably be fine for Green generation (and comes with a countdown, which is handy)
  • Quest34
    Quest34 Posts: 48 Just Dropped In
    Does green do aoe and ap gain if enemy enemy team has same strongest color?
  • Jaedenkaal
    Both, yes. The team damage does not replace the AP gain.
  • Vhailorx
    She does look like a fun match with sentry, maybe we can bring back sentry bombing!
  • Skygazing
    Jaedenkaal wrote:
    This Sentry combo sounds hilarious with Strike tiles out, assuming the tiles are strengthened in between tile resolutions.

They are not, unfortunately. Tile strengthening seems to occur in a similar way to PX when invisible. At the start of the turn all countdowns resolve as usual, and once they've finished Carol's Yellow passive activates for each one that hit 0.
  • willyswim
    willyswim Posts: 33 Just Dropped In
    I've seen this question pop up a few times now and the answer is yes, if the enemies' strongest color is the same as yours you deal damage and generate AP. I.e. in the DPvsMPQ Bullseye essential, bringing Carol and a purple primary means that pretty much every time SW's passive goes off the team takes 2k damage and you get 4 purple AP.

What about SWitch/Carol/XFDP. You get his red, purple, and black. If you have left over CD's from his purple that expire, they trigger Carol's passive so they aren't wasted. You also have Switch's CD going off left and right, so all you need to do collect black so you have strike tiles out to be buffed. Plus you have XFDP's passive black that will drop another 1 turn CD, do damage and trigger Carol again.
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,154 Chairperson of the Boards
    Gari wrote:

Carol, Kingpin, Scarlet Witch? Carol's yellow reduces SWitch's countdown, you get purple, Kingpin uses purple to generate yellow?
  • Vhailorx
    mega ghost wrote:
    Gari wrote:

Carol, Kingpin, Scarlet Witch? Carol's yellow reduces SWitch's countdown, you get purple, Kingpin uses purple to generate yellow?

Not infinite at all unless you can trigger switch multiple times in the same round.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Well that's not exactly winfinite since you can't then trigger SWitch to place the CD -again-. She'll place it again next turn, sure. Recharge doesn't generate Yellow, so that's clear (man that'd be funny).

Star-Lord's tiles will occasionally generate 3 Yellow (and will reduce Carol's power cost to 3) so you'd get that tile for free, but doesn't generate them when you fire a power.

MnMags Magnetic Flux is pretty gross with it right now due to the reduced cost, but it won't be nearly so bad at the intended cost of 14. Iron Hammer is presumably also quite amusing at 6 AP.

Star-Spangled Avenger could be fun. ~5000 damage for 5 Yellow and 1 Red (Or 3 Yellow and a net gain of Red, with Star-Lord). Still not exactly Winfinite
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,154 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx wrote:
    mega ghost wrote:
    Gari wrote:

Not infinite at all unless you can trigger switch multiple times in the same round.

I realized that right after I posted it! In any case, it could be a very quickly accelerating battery.
    Jaedenkaal wrote:
    Star-Spangled Avenger could be fun. ~5000 damage for 5 Yellow and 1 Red (Or 3 Yellow and a net gain of Red, with Star-Lord). Still not exactly Winfinite

But you're correct, that would be fun! I'm a fan of anything that makes Steve Rogers more useful.
  • undrtaker
    undrtaker Posts: 49 Just Dropped In
    I like her with Blade and Torch
    Blade's black and Torch's green tick Carol's yellow every turn which in turn improves Blade's red and purple
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Skygazing wrote:
    Apologies to Cthulu or any mods if this steps on toes; feel free to edit/remove if necessary.

I beat you by 32 minutes. But at least you have the match damage.
    And yet your thread is the one I locked! icon_e_wink.gif

Blame the invisible hand of the whatever, this one had more poll responses.