** Magneto (Marvel NOW!) ** [PRE 2015-03]

Comments

• Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    What's the consensus? 3/5/5 or 4/5/4. I'm leaning towards 3/5/5, but not sure what to do. You need at least x/5/4 in order to make red decent, but is the trade off of making blue from a 2 to 3 turn counter and clear 8 more tiles better than paying the extra 2 red AP and clearing a 5 x 5 vs 3x3 (16 tile increase (sometimes))?
  • Hard to justify leveling this character when he seems like a bad ** version of GSBW. Their mechanics are similar except Magneto has countdowns and can't choose his targets.
  • Phaserhawk wrote:
    What's the consensus? 3/5/5 or 4/5/4. I'm leaning towards 3/5/5, but not sure what to do. You need at least x/5/4 in order to make red decent, but is the trade off of making blue from a 2 to 3 turn counter and clear 8 more tiles better than paying the extra 2 red AP and clearing a 5 x 5 vs 3x3 (16 tile increase (sometimes))?
    Actually, the red is a bad investment IMO as whoever you team him up with is bound to have a better red. Mine is 553 but a 454 build may be better as the blue countdown increases with that fifth cover. I just like watching the whole board explode! icon_twisted.gif
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    I advocate 4/5/4 (4/4/4 now, I think he's got the only 2* cover I'm missing) for minimal countdown timers. Still haven't really used him yet because he's never been featured and I'm not a fan of random countdown tiles in general.
  • His only real utility is to be used as a blue battery. Maybe for (a buffed) IM40 or a Classic Storm.

I guess his blue can be used in a pinch to clear the board of strike tiles and countdown tiles.
  • Phaserhawk
    DayvBang wrote:
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    I advocate 4/5/4 (4/4/4 now, I think he's got the only 2* cover I'm missing) for minimal countdown timers. Still haven't really used him yet because he's never been featured and I'm not a fan of random countdown tiles in general.

but going 4/5/4 increases blue by one, where 3/5/5 only increases AP of red, that is my dilema. I don't really want to increase the countdown on blue to 3 from 2, but I also don't want to jack up the red AP cost, but.....red does generate AP, so I think I just answered my own question, I'll go 3/5/5, yes red is going from 11AP to 14AP, but at that point who cares, plus I can potentially generate 25 AP.
  • His red ability is underrated. It's almost OP. You get AP and do a nice bit of damage.

When other characters are released that offer better "synergy" people will be screaming for a nerf.
  • Magneto NOW's biggest downfall has always been his accessibility. It was always much easier to get Thor/Wolvy covers and once you are on that path (of building them up), you never look back.

That still hasn't changed at all.

I wouldn't call his red OP. You have to gain 14 AP, just to gain 11 more. Plus, breaking 25 tiles is going to destroy the board. Which can ruin any strike/web tiles you have set up in the meantime of building up that red 14 AP.
  • TheHood
    TheHood Posts: 107
    He need a boost, If they'd reduce AP cost of his skills just a little, Magneto MN! could became one of the best 2-star of the game.
    Now his best build is 3/5/4 IMHO, but in the current situation he can't show his full potential.
  • nihilium
    nihilium Posts: 242
    Currently Im only collecting his covers but not lvling him, so a stupid question from me:

Do I do 4/5/4 or 3/5/5 or do I just say who needs max lvl anyway, I want him for his skills, and just do 3/5/4?
    Currently Im at 3/5/3 and got a 4th red cover, so... :3

Also, is he worth spending ISO on?
    Most of the time Im running with wolverine and obw and whatever I can find for the last spot, so... ^^"""
  • nihilium wrote:
    Currently Im at 3/5/3 and got a 4th red cover, so... :3

Also, is he worth spending ISO on?
    Most of the time Im running with wolverine and obw and whatever I can find for the last spot, so... ^^"""

His best synergy is with Classic Storm. So, if you are thinking about a 'B team', I would build it with those two in mind.

So, with that idea in mind, you don't need to take his Blue higher than 3. Might as well go 5 in red and use it as a super AP collector.
  • TheHood wrote:
    He need a boost, If they'd reduce AP cost of his skills just a little, Magneto MN! could became one of the best 2-star of the game.
    Now his best build is 3/5/4 IMHO, but in the current situation he can't show his full potential.

I actually have him at 3/5/4 but I'll take the 5th cover when it comes along.

I finally got him to a useable level in time for the Simulator event and it's just so much fun to be using a character who is not Wolvie or Thor and doesn't just do direct damage. And the combo with either Spiderman or with the boosted Classic Storm is just so much fun.
  • Phaserhawk
    Zhirrzh wrote:
    TheHood wrote:

I actually have him at 3/5/4 but I'll take the 5th cover when it comes along.

I finally got him to a useable level in time for the Simulator event and it's just so much fun to be using a character who is not Wolvie or Thor and doesn't just do direct damage. And the combo with either Spiderman or with the boosted Classic Storm is just so much fun.

In some PvE, I find the OBW, Magneto MN to be truly unstoppable, but that's PvE where you can lock down the AI, in reality, I don't know, but I'm very, very happy with my 3/5/5 Magneto. Obviously purple is key, but I have combo'd him with IM40 to very scary results. IM40 gets Magneto Red, while magneto helps IM40 get blue, Magneto's Red, generates AP, which in turn feeds everyone, it has been very profitable for me.
  • Toxicadam wrote:
    Magneto NOW's biggest downfall has always been his accessibility. It was always much easier to get Thor/Wolvy covers and once you are on that path (of building them up), you never look back.

That still hasn't changed at all.

I wouldn't call his red OP. You have to gain 14 AP, just to gain 11 more. Plus, breaking 25 tiles is going to destroy the board. Which can ruin any strike/web tiles you have set up in the meantime of building up that red 14 AP.

I'd say it's overpowered when you can deal 2500 damage and obtain 25 AP for 14 AP

(With 25 green AP in the bank, for 12 AP Classic Storm can get 25 AP for 12 AP, but that's only 25 AP + tile damage, How much is an extra 1855 damage worth?)
  • I agree with accessibility. Mine is nowhere near complete. Meanwhile, the majority of my 3-stars are complete. If I was actually motivated, my 4-stars would also have completed faster.

His red is pretty decent in the red space as far as 2-stars go, especially post-Mjolnir nerf. I think the problem is the current meta and cast. He was good when c.Storm was popular, but obw replaced her and Mags doesn't fit her as well.
  • Bugpop wrote:
    I'd say it's overpowered when you can deal 2500 damage and obtain 25 AP for 14 AP

(With 25 green AP in the bank, for 12 AP Classic Storm can get 25 AP for 12 AP, but that's only 25 AP + tile damage, How much is an extra 1855 damage worth?)

Honestly, when I wrote that, I didn't consider the tile damage with that power. Is that tile damage based on his damage values for the colors or the values represented by the icon on the tile?
  • Well, I took an average

2 star characters do the following damage at 85

50 First Strong
    45 Second Strong
    39 Third Strong
    10 weak
    10 weak
    9 really weak
    --
    163 total for the 6 basic types
    I divide by 7 to include 0 damage by env. tiles
    I get about 23.3 average damage per tile

25 tiles * 23.3 = 582.1 damage represents an average value. The odds are that you will do more damage than that.
  • Phaserhawk
    Spidey loves Magneto Marvel NOW. I'll make protect tiles, you make me blue, I help you, you help me,
  • TheHood
    TheHood Posts: 107
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    Spidey loves Magneto Marvel NOW. I'll make protect tiles, you make me blue, I help you, you help me,
    Yeah, this Magneto will work well also with Psylocke: his skill blu is incredibly awesome.
  • He was the last 2* character I got - when I got him I already had 3*s I was using regularly - but trying him out boosted makes me think I may want to give him a chance.
    mine is only 30th level, and actually still needs a blue cover, but I may try leveling him up down the line.
This discussion has been closed.