Holiday Showdown: Lose 2 and you're done?

Options
techparadox
techparadox Posts: 21
edited December 2016 in MtGPQ Events
Maybe I'm missing something here, so in hopes my math is wrong I figured I'd post this and pray someone corrects me.

We started off Holiday Showdown with 8 attempts at the node in our pocket. That's enough to rack up 40 points toward the personal progression, provided you win all your matches. Recharge on the event appears to be the new standard, 8 hours from the event kickoff. The event has a 48-hour run-time, so that's going to give us another five attempts at the node since the 6th would be the end of the event. 13 attempts available, in total.

That means with a 5 point win per match there are a maximum of 65 points available in the time frame we've been allotted. Given the level of dependence on RNGeesus these days, that's not a lot of wiggle room for the players in the event that you get top-decked by the AI and manage to lose more than one attempt in the first day. Sure, one could argue that the player could go ahead and try to at least earn all the crystals that are available, but with the top prize out of the running, why would a player even want to bother?

Comments

• wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Unless I did the match wrong, there should be 15 possible matches, so you could lose three and still get the final booster pack
  • James13
    James13 Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
    Options
    wereotter wrote:
    Unless I did the match wrong, there should be 15 possible matches, so you could lose three and still get the final booster pack

You did your math wrong. 13 matches total.
  • techparadox
    Options
    wereotter wrote:
    I think you have an off-by-two error in there somewhere. 48 hours = 6 blocks of 8 hours, minus one block because you can't count the final refresh, leaving 5 total refreshes available to the players. 5+8=13
  • Monkeynutts
    Monkeynutts Posts: 566 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Well ive lost two from commanding positions.
    Just had three nissa go off with a part the waterviel on the board spawning a 60/60 elemental from a standing start. Also two exert influences to take my 28/28 zombie and 14/14 mindbender..

Opponent was in 1 hp..... i was on max with sorin.

Its just a poor event where people can show off their pimped out decks that theyve spent $$$$ on.
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Well ive lost two from commanding positions.
    Just had three nissa go off with a part the waterviel on the board spawning a 60/60 elemental from a standing start. Also two exert influences to take my 28/28 zombie and 14/14 mindbender..

If Nissa was running those cards, you need to report cheating. She can't have blue. Did you mean Kiora?
  • Monkeynutts
    Options
    Kiora sorry. Frustration lol... still gahhhh
  • EagleSoar
    Options
    Yeah, the holiday SLOWdown event is dodgy.
    They really need to go back to the 4 hour recharge time. This 7 hour **** is killing it.

Hell, I really dont see the point in having competitive events at all until they fix the clue/support bug. Kinda pointless to have a competitive event on a broken game.
  • Monkeynutts
    Options
    POOREST EVENT PUT ON BY D3GO YET !
  • J23flo
    J23flo Posts: 21 Just Dropped In
    Options
    POOREST EVENT PUT ON BY D3GO YET !

Not even close. The tediousness of trying to get all the objectives from the original EC event was far worse. The holiday event was actually a lot of fun. YMMV.
  • Stormbringer0
    Stormbringer0 Posts: 190 Tile Toppler
    Options
    The best thing on that was that you don't had to compede with others regarding places and prices. Felt so free!