Polarity's Guide on Going From 1* to 3* (Updated: 1/22/15)

1212223242527»

Comments

• The Bob The
    The Bob The Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    Sam Wilson (Captain America) - lvl 74 - 1/0/1

As a side note, although it's smart to be hanging on to 4*s, I wouldn't put any more ISO into them at this point, even if you get another cover for Sam - they're not going to be an asset to you for a while yet. Put it all toward your 3* game.
  • Sam Wilson (Captain America) - lvl 74 - 1/0/1

As a side note, although it's smart to be hanging on to 4*s, I wouldn't put any more ISO into them at this point, even if you get another cover for Sam - they're not going to be an asset to you for a while yet. Put it all toward your 3* game.
    Yeah, my general rule is typically "Not useful until 9 covers". Because of where I *personally* am, I still level under covered characters, but typically, you don't want to risk screwing up your scaling.
    - Unreall
  • I only started about a month and some change ago and I've seemed to have made a number of...... rash decisions and now my roster is filled with seemingly good characters but very little synergy or covers between them. I was hoping someone could help me decide who to get rid of to make more room for the needed, good, 1 and 2 star.png characters:

3 star.png Gamora, level 66 3g, 1r
    2 star.png Cap Marvel, level 41 3r, 2b, 4Y
    3 star.png Black Panther base 1b
    3 star.png Cyclops base 1r
    3 star.png Hulk base 1g
    2 star.png Wolverine level 33 1g, 1r, 1y
    1 star.png Iron Man level 31 5r, 5y, 3b
    1 star.png Juggernaut level 30 4g, 5r
    2 star.png Cap America level 23 1y, 2r (likely out)
    2 star.png Human Torch level 22 3g
    2 star.png OBW level 18 one of each
    1 star.png Spidey level15 2r, 3p
    3 star.png Rocket & Groot base 1y

I have these waiting in the wings:

4 MBWs
    3 2 star.png Thors
    1 Colossus
    1 Aries
    1 2 star.png Storm
    1 2 star.png Cap Marvel Red

I've got 300HP but need 400 for an additional 3 slots. I got 5 days to decide, but would prefer to get on with it. Thanks.
  • The Bob The
    Xicarah wrote:
    I only started about a month and some change ago and I've seemed to have made a number of...... rash decisions and now my roster is filled with seemingly good characters but very little synergy or covers between them. I was hoping someone could help me decide who to get rid of to make more room for the needed, good, 1 and 2 star.png characters:

3 star.png Hulk base 1g

4 MBWs
    3 2 star.png Thors
    1 Colossus
    1 Aries
    1 2 star.png Storm

I've got 300HP but need 400 for an additional 3 slots. I got 5 days to decide, but would prefer to get on with it. Thanks.

At this point you might actually consider ditching your 1*s (except Juggs, who you need for DDQ). 2*s come so easily now, you could easily just focus on that game. With the room this creates, definitely roster 2* Storm and Ares, both of whom will benefit you in the long term as well as now. I leveled Cap for his targeted tile destruction, but his damage is garbage (even boosted, which seems to happen a lot).

I never sell a 3*, but that's tough at this point.
  • Xicarah wrote:
    I only started about a month and some change ago and I've seemed to have made a number of...... rash decisions and now my roster is filled with seemingly good characters but very little synergy or covers between them. I was hoping someone could help me decide who to get rid of to make more room for the needed, good, 1 and 2 star.png characters:

3 star.png Hulk base 1g

4 MBWs
    3 2 star.png Thors
    1 Colossus
    1 Aries
    1 2 star.png Storm

At this point you might actually consider ditching your 1*s (except Juggs, who you need for DDQ). 2*s come so easily now, you could easily just focus on that game. With the room this creates, definitely roster 2* Storm and Ares, both of whom will benefit you in the long term as well as now. I leveled Cap for his targeted tile destruction, but his damage is garbage (even boosted, which seems to happen a lot).

Don't I need at least 2-3 1 star.png for DDQ? The only reason I haven't gotten rid of Iron Man is because he's fully covered and that seems valuable. I was thinking of kicking Cap. America, and maybe Black Panther.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Xicarah wrote:
    Xicarah wrote:

3 star.png Hulk base 1g

4 MBWs
    3 2 star.png Thors
    1 Colossus
    1 Aries
    1 2 star.png Storm

Don't I need at least 2-3 1 star.png for DDQ? The only reason I haven't gotten rid of Iron Man is because he's fully covered and that seems valuable. I was thinking of kicking Cap. America, and maybe Black Panther.
    You can do the mission with just one one-star, and a fully leveled Juggs can easily deal with that node.
  • The Bob The
    Quebbster wrote:
    Xicarah wrote:
    You can do the mission with just one one-star, and a fully leveled Juggs can easily deal with that node.

What he said. I clear it every day with Juggs solo (max level) and have never lost it - as soon as you one-shot the active with your red, it's all over. Iron Man is a good char to have around at first, but it sounds like you're already getting your 2* game rolling, so my thinking is, why spend ISO on chars you're not really going to be using? I wouldn't sell Black Panther if you can help it, but at this stage, it might be unavoidable.
  • Ah thanks for the help peeps.
  • kyo28
    kyo28 Posts: 161 Tile Toppler
    First of all thanks a lot for this guide and all the info... very helpful for a beginning MPQ'er like me.

I have a question though, my current team is as follows:
    2* : 4 characters maxed at 94+ (championed), 2 still building covers
    3* : about 25 characters but all with low cover counts (ranging from 1 - 6 covers max)
    4* : 4 characters each with 1 cover
    5* : 1 character with 1 cover

Now, I get the feeling that having this 5* character really hurt my progression: it bumped up my overall rating as my top characters are now 5* followed by 2* maxed out. Due to this, PVE and PVP seems to have been getting harder as I get higher difficulty opponents. On the other hand, I didn't want to sell that 5* cover as they are so rare to get.

Perhaps it's just my perception but I get the feeling that I can't go into a fight anymore without having that 5* character be part of my team. Whenever I set up an all 2* team, it becomes much harder to win matches.

So any idea on how I should proceed? Just keep on grinding and hoping to be able to move from 2* team to a 3* team eventually? I am not a seasoned MPQ player so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
  • Just tried the Hawkeye/Magneto combo. Awesome!
  • UNSHMD
    UNSHMD Posts: 25 Just Dropped In
    This doesn't seem to be for newbie full of stuff i have no clue what it is. I don't get the levelling up stuff since you don't choose what you get how can i wait till i have 9-10 covers since I lose them after 14 days. It's all not clear to me, still in the dark
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    UNSHMD wrote:
    This doesn't seem to be for newbie full of stuff i have no clue what it is. I don't get the levelling up stuff since you don't choose what you get how can i wait till i have 9-10 covers since I lose them after 14 days. It's all not clear to me, still in the dark
    You can use the covers as soon as you get them. You should just avoid to put any ISO into the character Before it has around 10 covers in total.
    Feel free to ask more questions, there are plenty of helpful veterans around here. icon_e_smile.gif
  • Alsmir
    Alsmir Posts: 508 Critical Contributor
    I've recently started playing MPQ (around 10 days ago) and I have few questions:

1. I've noticed that 3 and 4-star characters have command points values next to their powers. At first I thought that it's the cost of upgrading the hero power, but today I managed to find a second red power for my 3-star vision and it didn't cost me any cp to upgrade. What are those cp values then?

2. What's the most reliable way to get 2-star covers? I hoped that vs battles would be great for that, but all I get is lame amounts of iso.

3. Are there some sort brackets for pve and pvp events? In last PvE event I enden at #18 despite the fact, that I haven't finished many battles (they were too hard for me). Was I playing with people around my level? Most PvP events have been similar, but then in lightning round I was defeated by a guy with 3x 270 heroes. How does that work?

4. My rooster is still quite poor with 2 maxed 1-star characters, very poor 2-stars, few 3-stars (including one with 3 powers) and precious War Machine with 2 powers. I'm jumping from PvE to PvP, getting new covers but it's very inconsistent. Is there anything I should focus on?

5. Are the prologue missons worth the time? Some of them are still difficult for me, I haven't unlocked the last tier yet, but I haven't seen many good rewards so far.

6. Civil War. I'm playing for Team IM, my alliance is a bunch of randoms. In round 2 Captain was difficult at times, I'm afraid that in round 3 he will kick my ****. Does it mean that I won't be able to get any more progress in that event? I was looking forward to getting Vision cover :<
  • jobob
    jobob Posts: 680 Critical Contributor
    Alsmir wrote:
    I've recently started playing MPQ (around 10 days ago) and I have few questions:

1. I've noticed that 3 and 4-star characters have command points values next to their powers. At first I thought that it's the cost of upgrading the hero power, but today I managed to find a second red power for my 3-star vision and it didn't cost me any cp to upgrade. What are those cp values then?
    There are two ways to upgrade powers- with covers, or with CPs. You're correct, it's the cost to upgrade that power WITH CPs. You should never use CPs to upgrade powers, except possibly in a few very rare instances. Save them for pulls of legendary tokens (and since you are new, don't pull those yet, save them for when you are well into the 3* game and starting to build your 4*s)
    2. What's the most reliable way to get 2-star covers? I hoped that vs battles would be great for that, but all I get is lame amounts of iso.
    Placement rewards, which can be seen in the event details, will give 2* covers outside of 150, I believe. Make sure you join an alliance, as you will earn rewards fast that way. Outside of that, just keep battling. Lightning rounds on Tuesday/Wednesday can get a lot of tokens and covers. During PVP/PVE, try to hit at least the points needed to get the gold tokens, as those guarantee AT LEAST a 2* cover.
    3. Are there some sort brackets for pve and pvp events? In last PvE event I enden at #18 despite the fact, that I haven't finished many battles (they were too hard for me). Was I playing with people around my level? Most PvP events have been similar, but then in lightning round I was defeated by a guy with 3x 270 heroes. How does that work?
    I'm not an expert on brackets,... But in PVE there are, from what I understand, 2 standard "levels" of brackets, plus a third only for new players. You should be in the newbie bracket, and move up to the standard bracket soon. In PVP, I think there is only one level of bracket. From there... it's based entirely upon the time that you enter relative to everyone else. Brackets are a set number of players (500, 1000, etc) that fill on a first-come, first-serve basis. So if the current PVP bracket is at 999, and you enter, you will be in 1000th place, and that bracket will close and a new one will open. There's a bit of a gamble to joining late... if a bracket fills up with 5 minutes left and you join the next one, there might only be 10 people total in the bracket. Or you could join with 5 minutes left when there are only 900 in your bracket... and be way too far behind to climb out of that hole.
    4. My rooster is still quite poor with 2 maxed 1-star characters, very poor 2-stars, few 3-stars (including one with 3 powers) and precious War Machine with 2 powers. I'm jumping from PvE to PvP, getting new covers but it's very inconsistent. Is there anything I should focus on?
    I'm no expert on poultry, but your **** will be weak until you play with it some more. For now, just focus on entering every event you can so you at least get a share of the reward. Take a look at the rewards and identify the point milestones that you think you can achieve. I would be trying to hit at least most of the gold tokens at this point. Also, consider that very soon you are going to get into a roster spot crunch, so earn and save as many hero points as you can.
    5. Are the prologue missons worth the time? Some of them are still difficult for me, I haven't unlocked the last tier yet, but I haven't seen many good rewards so far.
    For someone this new... I would say YES. There's a lot of ISO and tokens from what I remember to help you build your early roster. Plus it gives you a chance to learn the ins and outs. If the last tier is too difficult, replay the lower tiers. You can see the available rewards when you select the mission- there are (I think) 7 per mission. If you see a reward you like, replay it until you get it. There may even be some 2* covers? Not sure, it's been a long time since I played them and has been restructured.
    6. Civil War. I'm playing for Team IM, my alliance is a bunch of randoms. In round 2 Captain was difficult at times, I'm afraid that in round 3 he will kick my ****. Does it mean that I won't be able to get any more progress in that event? I was looking forward to getting Vision cover :<
    The scaling doesn't get terrible until later... just do as much as you can. With your roster you absolutely won't be able to progress later in the event, so do as much damage as you can early on. Watch your timers and play as close to every 8 hours as possible. If you have an alliance with some good champed characters, you may be able to compete a little farther with good Team-Ups, but your roster is going to really limit you this event.

GOOD LUCK!
  • Hi there, first time user on these forums, but I was wondering if you could assist me in my game file.

First off:

1. I started a new game file, but I can't save it via Facebook because of my old one. I don't want to overwrite the current game file for the old one can you help me out ?

2. My roster contains this:

4:star: Drax with blackflag.png
    4 star.png Devil Dino with purpleflag.png
    4 star.png Invisible Woman with yellowflag.png
    3 star.png Cyclops with one redflag.png and one yellowflag.png
    3 star.png Psylocke with 2 blueflag.png
    3 star.png Scarlet Witch with one purpleflag.png and one greenflag.png
    3 star.png Quicksilver with one blackflag.png and one blueflag.png
    3 star.png Storm with one greenflag.png
    3 star.png Black Panther with one blueflag.png
    3 star.png Daken with one blackflag.png
    3 star.png Beast with one blueflag.png
    3 star.png Grey Suit Black WIdow with one redflag.png
    3 star.png Human Torch with one greenflag.png
    3 star.png Mystique with one blackflag.png
    3 star.png Kamala Khan with one greenflag.png
    3 star.png Squirrel Girl with one greenflag.png
    2 star.png Storm with one yellowflag.png, 2 blueflag.png and 2 greenflag.png
    2 star.png Thor with 2 redflag.png and 3 greenflag.png
    2 star.png Hawkeye with one redflag.png and 3 purpleflag.png
    2 star.png Wolverine with 1 yellowflag.png , 1 redflag.png and 2 greenflag.png

FInally
    1 star.png Iron Man with 5 redflag.png , 4 blueflag.png and 4 yellowflag.png
    1 star.png Juggernaut with Maximum redflag.png and greenflag.png and at level 40.
    and
    1 star.png Black WIdow Modern with 3 purpleflag.png and 5 blueflag.png .

Do I have a stable team/ roster or not ?

I ask this since I looked and read into this forum multiple times before joining. I was wondering if anyone can help me out ?
  • corneto
    corneto Posts: 4 Just Dropped In
    Hello there,
    How outdated is this guide? because for example OBW is highly valued in the guide, but other tier lists place her on the bottom tier.
    Which ** should i sell between OBW and Hawkeye?
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    corneto wrote:
    Hello there,
    How outdated is this guide? because for example OBW is highly valued in the guide, but other tier lists place her on the bottom tier.
    Which ** should i sell between OBW and Hawkeye?

This guide is quite out of date. It pre-dates command points, legendary tokens, shield rank, clearance levels, regular 4* releases, and the entire 5* tier. That said, it's still a solid guide insofar as the general strategies in it are still useful and the character analyses are accurate for the meta that they describe.

OBW is still a top tier 2*. Possibly the most important 2*, though she needs to be played with a tank. She is much better than hawkeye in all respects EXCEPT that hawkeye gives IM40 covers as champion rewards. IM40 is one of the best two 3*. So it's almost worth champing hawkeye just for those three IM40 covers.
  • none.png

Thank you for this post. I have been playing since August. Only a couple of months but I have 10 champions, 5 5* characters and over 70 characters total. I enjoyed reading about great character combos and playing smart with Iso-8. I definitely look forward to reading more d3go forums. This was my 1st and I took a lot of pointers. I work very hard on my roster and its always great to hear other players experiences and advice! Thank you.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    :null:

Thank you for this post. I have been playing since August. Only a couple of months but I have 10 champions, 5 5* characters and over 70 characters total. I enjoyed reading about great character combos and playing smart with Iso-8. I definitely look forward to reading more d3go forums. This was my 1st and I took a lot of pointers. I work very hard on my roster and its always great to hear other players experiences and advice! Thank you.

Welcome! As I said in my previous post, this excellent guide is now more than a little long in the tooth. So don't be shy about asking for additional advice about the game's current meta.

First bit of advice:

Don't spend your CP or LTs until you have your toes deep in to 3* land. They won't go anywhere, and spending them now is likely to cause more roster headaches for you without improving your performance significantly. And definitely don't put any iso into your 5*s. The only 5* worth using at lower cover/level is OML if you can get him to a 1/1/1 build. But even then, his utility will be limited to extra grinding; he won't get you very far in PVP anymore until you get him up above level 400.
  • Teskal
    Teskal Posts: 109 Tile Toppler
    I used Canuck-Sold twice (while they gave nearly doubled HP) and am VIP. I'm on day 96, so not a completely new player anymore, but still 'young' and into the 3* transition.

What I did so far is:

*** Developing 1* and Prologue ***
    I never used Juggernaut, because of his selfdamage. As a beginner I saw him so often killing himself, I didn't wanted him and spend healthpacks on him. But it looks like many like him.

I made the error that I didn't saw any potential for 2* Daken and sold all his covers... Greatest error I ever made in this game!!! My 2* transition could have been much faster with him.

*** 2* Transition ***
    - I added first all 2* and got them as high as possible
    - Champed them.
    (maybe I would think about waiting to champ the first one or maybe better not getting him over level 93. Because after the first champ I got, the game got much more difficult in the PVE nodes. Maybe it would be good to bring few more to level 93 and champ several at once)

- As long I had not all 2*, I sold every 3* and 4*. Never bought any LT with CP or opened any I had.
    - After I added all 2* I started to add 3* regulary.
    - Only 4* not deleted during this time were Peggy and Medusa.

*** 3* Transition ***
    Same as I did it with 2*, top priority had all 3*.
    - Getting all 2* till maxed champed, if I got the covers
    - 4* got sold before they expirem till I had all 3* added (only Mystique still missing).

- I play always the highest SCL in PVE! So one 4* I get normally with the progression awards.

*** Some other thoughts ***
    - I think hoarding any iso in the first few months playing is most of the time not really necessary.
    --> During the transition 1*->2* the only exception maybe shortly before starting to champ a 2*, so you can champ few of them at once. (I can't test it anymore, do not want to restart.) icon_e_smile.gif
    --> During the transition 2*->3* is not really necessary. After having few 2* on lvl 144, the first lvl 166 did not really increase the difficulty.

- I always added Iso-8 to any character who could get new level(s) after adding levels. Only try not to bring the levels higher as my main teams I normally use. If all characters are on the highest level they could have, you never need much iso-8 to bring them higher next time. In worst case I need 2-3 days to bring one character up. If I want to champ one, others just wait to get levels till he got his champ level.

- 2* are worth farming for a while already! AND even more worth to have them in the roster, because of the new DDQ 2*/3*/4* node "Burrito". ALL twelve 2* were also useful (No bagman, yet!!!), because I got HP from them to add faster a 3* cover, beside other stuff. It cost you only 7.5k Iso-8 to farm a 2* if you do not count the tokens, CP and 3 covers you get.

- Check first before selling a 2* at level 144, if it is still possible to do DDQ without them.
    So the last few DDQ nodes I did without Storm before selling her.
    - Don't sell any 2* from the roster before they have 144.

- ALL 3* are useful after getting champed, so I see no reason not to level them!
    Even Ragnarok, who was sadly my first champed. (Sadly only because I would have preferred Iron Man, Dr. Strange or...) Rag for example gives later X-23 and sometimes he is a good meat shield. So if I champ all 3*, I will have for sure 120 covers, six of them are X-23 covers. And hey, MAYBE even Rag get into farming after he reach maxed champ level...

Nearly all 2* or 3* can be a meat shield from time to time in good nodes, especially if they are buffed.

- I spend some CP to get 3* covers. I think I would do it only for Strang3 again, if I would go back in time. And for the 13th cover sometimes.
    I did it with 3* Thor, because I needed him playable to sell Level 144 Thor. LThor was great help, so no regrets! Main reason was that The Gauntlet destroyed my plans adding some 4*...

- If events like The Gauntlet, Civil War and Galactus are coming, don't expect much iso-8 and especially HP to add new characters to the roster.