Who's the best partner for OBW and Ares team?

Options
paralistalon
paralistalon Posts: 153
edited February 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
Original Black Widow and Ares are my two highest leveled 2*s, and I feel like they are great compliments for each other since they don't share colors (which is great because I want Espionage to trigger as much as possible). Ares is a good tank and has a good range of special attacks, although yellow is clearly his haymaker. OBW's ability to steal AP is just devastating, and the healing is a nice option too. Now I'm just trying to decide on a good third character.

The character should ideally have a good black attack to take advantage of all that extra black energy that widow will be racking up.

2* options:

Classic Storm- You miss out on a black special move, but you get Wind Storm, which is such a great attack. I currently use C.Storm but I'm looking for something different.

Moonstone- I haven't played with her, but her purple and black attacks seem mediocre and only useful against a small number of opponents.

Bullseye- You get added defense to go with OBW's healing. You also get a strong black finisher. I'm actually pretty interested in trying him out.

Daken- Well, if you need a third character that doesn't have any special moves... You'll want to collect yellows for Ares, so he will probably hurt himself with Heat, but since you're likely making green matches anyway, you get to add strike tiles to the board. Green isn't usually my first priority though, because Onslaught is much more of a finisher than something you race to get off.

3* options:

Dr. Doom- Summon Demons is a great attack. Not sure if it triggers Espionage damage twice with OBW's "glitch," but I can't see any downside to Doom except for the fact that, like all 3*s, he's hard to get. I do have him at level 30 already, however.

Psylocke- So, it looks like she might actually be a good fit for my team. She has what looks like a decent black skill and makes strike tiles, which synergizes with OBW. Her red skill could also be useful, especially because Ares's red is kind of weak and only really good later in the match. She can also continue with the theme of energy/mana denial with her blue. The only thing that sucks is that I don't even have any of her covers yet!

Punisher- I don't have a lot of experience with Punisher either, but I know people say he's one of the best well-rounded characters. I don't feel like he has as much synergy with OBW and Ares, though.

My current thoughts are to use C.Storm as a placeholder until I can build a Bullseye for the team, then eventually plan to replace him with a good 3* like Dr. Doom or Psylocke. What are your thoughts?

Comments

• Punisher has synergy with oBW through his green strike tiles, thus boosting your Espionage damage twice. His red is more useful closer to end of match. And he can use black AP that oBW takes, but cannot use.
    Daken is good addition with same thought - his strike tiles, that you create by taking green for Ares will boost your Espionage.
  • optimiza
    optimiza Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
    Options

Bullseye- You get added defense to go with OBW's healing. You also get a strong black finisher. I'm actually pretty interested in trying him out.

Daken- Well, if you need a third character that doesn't have any special moves... You'll want to collect yellows for Ares, so he will probably hurt himself with Heat, but since you're likely making green matches anyway, you get to add strike tiles to the board. Green isn't usually my first priority though, because Onslaught is much more of a finisher than something you race to get off.

3* options:

Dr. Doom- Summon Demons is a great attack. Not sure if it triggers Espionage damage twice with OBW's "glitch," but I can't see any downside to Doom except for the fact that, like all 3*s, he's hard to get. I do have him at level 30 already, however.

Psylocke- So, it looks like she might actually be a good fit for my team. She has what looks like a decent black skill and makes strike tiles, which synergizes with OBW. Her red skill could also be useful, especially because Ares's red is kind of weak and only really good later in the match. She can also continue with the theme of energy/mana denial with her blue. The only thing that sucks is that I don't even have any of her covers yet!

Punisher- I don't have a lot of experience with Punisher either, but I know people say he's one of the best well-rounded characters. I don't feel like he has as much synergy with OBW and Ares, though.

My current thoughts are to use C.Storm as a placeholder until I can build a Bullseye for the team, then eventually plan to replace him with a good 3* like Dr. Doom or Psylocke. What are your thoughts?

The consensus is that Bullseye is pretty terrible. His black is nice in that you will not be using it with any of your other characters, but it is difficult to trigger except with certain setups, very expensive, and his protect tiles are not that strong. You'll benefit from the fact that he'll probably hide behind OBW and Ares on his strong colors but otherwise he's not a great complement. If you really wanted to make him work you'd need a team like Marvel NOW Magneto and Doom behind him.

Punisher fits with just about every team. He's a bit squishy, so hiding him behind Ares is a good idea on red/green. Judgement generates strike tiles which synergize with OBW, and Retribution is badass when maxed. If you have a lot of covers for him he's your man.

Also, Doom's demons don't trigger Espionage. Only strike tiles do.
  • darkmagearcanis
    Options
    While I do agree with GEFPenst. If you need a good two star character for the team in the Simulator event. Daken is awesome. I was using OBW 65, Daken 42 and Ares 65 to taken down level 230s in the Hard Simulator. Ares' Green is a beast matched with Daken's Strike Tiles. Get about 25-30 green AP and drop the axe on one of the enemy. It could easily do 5K - 6k damage with the proper amount of strike tiles on the board (usually 10).
  • Since you have pretty much every color covered from an attack perspective (minus black from an activate ability standpoint), I think you could throw Thor in there too. I know he has the same colors as Ares, but I don't always think it's bad to have 2 characters with the same colors especially if you have all colors covered on the team. Thor has great HP just like Ares. Depending on how you've built Thor, you might prefer to use one of this abilities over Ares depending on the situation. Thor will outpower Ares on red unless Ares is at 25% health. Yellow would be entirely situational. Do you need the green generated from Thor to build enough damage for Ares or is the damage from Sunder needed at the time. Same with green, do you do massive damage to a single opponent with Ares or damage the entire team with Thor. Of course you also have OBW there to steal and heal. It makes black pointless to collect but I personally like running this team because of the options it provides during the match. Plus if either Thor or Ares goes down, you still have a decent backup.

Just something else to consider. icon_e_smile.gif

P.S. - I will also echo the sentiments of the above guys. Punisher is a character that fits in everywhere if you have the covers and have him at a decent level.
  • akboyce
    akboyce Posts: 283 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    If you have the covers I would go Punisher. He really does it all. Strike tiles, punch tiles, and a red you will love against every 230 and buffed character. He will also start transitioning you to a 3* roster. He was the first 3* I invested heavily in and have never regretted it.

As for Psylocke I would wait and see before investing deep on her. True she could be great but why risk it when a little patience will reveal her true might.
  • Daken. Punisher is good, but imo a replacement of Ares.
  • Punisher/OBW/Ares is my main team, and I can say that it's very good. With Punisher at 115, you have each character tanking two colors, which is great for OBW's healing, and each character uses two of their skills so you have an even distribution for the AP that you generate and steal: Ares R/Y, Punisher G/Bk, OBW Be/P. The team also does a lot of damage, as you have two AoEs and OBW's passive to synergize with the strike tiles. On defense, it's not that scary, but that's mostly because you have a pair of 2* on it. It's still competitive with full 3* teams though.
  • Punisher hands down: creates strike tiles and uses black. (if you add enough levels will take over from OBW so no more stealing and espionage, but can tank for her, better be considered)
  • While I do agree with GEFPenst. If you need a good two star character for the team in the Simulator event. Daken is awesome. I was using OBW 65, Daken 42 and Ares 65 to taken down level 230s in the Hard Simulator. Ares' Green is a beast matched with Daken's Strike Tiles. Get about 25-30 green AP and drop the axe on one of the enemy. It could easily do 5K - 6k damage with the proper amount of strike tiles on the board (usually 10).

Daken has a 4x buff there, will not work so well once in the regular arena.
  • darkmagearcanis
    Options
    pasa_ wrote:
    While I do agree with GEFPenst. If you need a good two star character for the team in the Simulator event. Daken is awesome. I was using OBW 65, Daken 42 and Ares 65 to taken down level 230s in the Hard Simulator. Ares' Green is a beast matched with Daken's Strike Tiles. Get about 25-30 green AP and drop the axe on one of the enemy. It could easily do 5K - 6k damage with the proper amount of strike tiles on the board (usually 10).

Daken has a 4x buff there, will not work so well once in the regular arena.

I know, which is why I said for the Simulator Event.