national "dont buy cover slot day"

So the devs have decided, after reading all feedback, where numerous times the player base has said cover purchasing costs to much and is required and costly to have a dead slot to upgrade covers to jack the price of covers up by 50%... <sighz> i was just lauding this game to a friend today that it was f2p friendly if you put in enough time, i need to rescind that comment now with the latest cover cost changes. this is pretty ridiculous pricing.
From IceX: For the cover slot increase, I completely understand where you're coming from in that regard. However, announcing price changes is very much a double edged sword for precisely the reason you state. In changing the price, we want to see what the user reaction is. Do players still buy the item when the price is increased or do they stop at a certain point? Is that point before or after the old one? When we figure out the break points, we can figure out the point at which the most customers are still satisfied while still providing the item or service in question.

From IceX: If we push the change in pricing out as a sudden thing: Users will be justifiably annoyed/angry over the price increase. Some will be in the position you are in, which isn't a great place to be. However, those users will make their decision on the perceived value in front of them. If the perceived value is fine, the majority of users will continue to utilize the service. If it's too low, less items will be sold and thus we'll know that we've perhaps raised the bar too high.

the rationale is apparently lets gouge the customer until they stop purchasing... so vote with your hp/wallet and let them know the bar is too high. According to the above if enough of us dont buy covers we should expect the price to go back down. let them know we dont appreciate this change. we already said it was too high before but apparently not enough. I was going to wince and buy a cover yesterday for 200hp, today... not buying a cover.

on a related note I really dont appreciate the devaluing of HP in the past 2 weeks. *** multi card packs now 1100 and up, ** 50% chance packs were 500hp, heroic packs including a limited ** char 450hp, health packs 15/60 now 50/200, card slots already 200hp now 300hp... it's getting pretty frustrating to see $10 now buy 1/3rd as much as it used to. I've spent $20 so far on this game... if this valuation trend continues looks like that's all i'll be spending.

there is a lot I still love about this game... charging for inventory slots is not one of them.

Comments

• Wow. Luckily i bought 16 spots before they jacked up the price. Now I guess I wont spent HP for spots anymore. They are really devaluing Hero Points lately. Even before the Powers Change patch, I didn't mind spending money on covers and slots, but now its really hard to justify buying a 17th slot for $2.50
  • Catalyst wrote:
    So the devs have decided, after reading all feedback, where numerous times the player base has said cover purchasing costs to much and is required and costly to have a dead slot to upgrade covers to jack the price of covers up by 50%... <sighz> i was just lauding this game to a friend today that it was f2p friendly if you put in enough time, i need to rescind that comment now with the latest cover cost changes. this is pretty ridiculous pricing.
    From IceX: For the cover slot increase, I completely understand where you're coming from in that regard. However, announcing price changes is very much a double edged sword for precisely the reason you state. In changing the price, we want to see what the user reaction is. Do players still buy the item when the price is increased or do they stop at a certain point? Is that point before or after the old one? When we figure out the break points, we can figure out the point at which the most customers are still satisfied while still providing the item or service in question.

From IceX: If we push the change in pricing out as a sudden thing: Users will be justifiably annoyed/angry over the price increase. Some will be in the position you are in, which isn't a great place to be. However, those users will make their decision on the perceived value in front of them. If the perceived value is fine, the majority of users will continue to utilize the service. If it's too low, less items will be sold and thus we'll know that we've perhaps raised the bar too high.

the rationale is apparently lets gouge the customer until they stop purchasing... so vote with your hp/wallet and let them know the bar is too high. According to the above if enough of us dont buy covers we should expect the price to go back down. let them know we dont appreciate this change. we already said it was too high before but apparently not enough. I was going to wince and buy a cover yesterday for 200hp, today... not buying a cover.

on a related note I really dont appreciate the devaluing of HP in the past 2 weeks. *** multi card packs now 1100 and up, ** 50% chance packs were 500hp, heroic packs including a limited ** char 450hp, health packs 15/60 now 50/200, card slots already 200hp now 300hp... it's getting pretty frustrating to see $10 now buy 1/3rd as much as it used to. I've spent $20 so far on this game... if this valuation trend continues looks like that's all i'll be spending.

there is a lot I still love about this game... charging for inventory slots is not one of them.

Yeah based on those quotes they are basically saying " we are going to keep raising the price until people stop buying / playing / start all complaining too much then we will set the price just a little bit lower so we can squeeze the absolute most money out of them. There was a 2 page topic saying how they were too expensive and then they go and raise the price 50% with no warning.
  • probably set up bar too high?? it's more than stupid, it's imbecile!!
    do u know the fun of collecting cover slot? if u're going to raise the price too high and limit it to 40 max, you're gonna regret it. most of the players feels cheated and will not play it again. negative review will overflow. starting now. i'm gonna give 1 star review.
    i used to like this game being so fair and all.
    all of the succesful TCG never limit the collection cards by damn 40 and charge too high!! they got the money from vast number of beautiful cards [in this case, cover] to collect!! and theyhappily buy the card packs for it.
    ex. fantasica, rage of bahamut, and many others.
    and i hae the feeling, our critics are not gonna be heard.

===for anyone who does't like the new patch, feel free to give 1 star review===
  • In my opinion, in app purchases are fine by nature, as video game publishers are running business, and are looking to make money. That is understandable and expected. What isn't tolerable is charging money that seems largely above the perceived norm, for items, slots, covers, that while aren't necessary to play, are necessary to progress. Charge for premiums and extras, not basics.

Furthermore, it's near impossible for new players to stand a chance in tournament style play, without spending an absurd amount of money. Fun, but getting too annoying. 1 star.
  • I haven't bought a cover slot since I hit 20. The 21st cover slot was 200, so I was saving up the free HP I get from random things in game to buy the next one. Finally got enough, went to buy 21. Lo and behold, the price has risen to 300. I'll just make do with the team I have and delete covers if I really need to. I'm not addicted enough to this game to spend more than 10 bucks on it. That's a number I predetermined when I started playing and evaluated its level of fun/value. I've already spent 7, that leaves 3. So I'm going to be picky with how/if I spend that. And I'm not that desperate for cover slots. Pshaw.
  • Shuino
    Shuino Posts: 164 Tile Toppler
    In my opinion, in app purchases are fine by nature, as video game publishers are running business, and are looking to make money. That is understandable and expected. What isn't tolerable is charging money that seems largely above the perceived norm, for items, slots, covers, that while aren't necessary to play, are necessary to progress. Charge for premiums and extras, not basics.

Furthermore, it's near impossible for new players to stand a chance in tournament style play, without spending an absurd amount of money. Fun, but getting too annoying. 1 star.

It isn't impossible for new players to stand a chance in any tournament. Match making is fairly well done for lower levels and I had no issues placing in the top 50 in some of these tournaments recently on an alt. account. However after getting 3 or so higher placed finishes with very low level Covers (35 Iron Man, 10 Black Widow, C Magneto 15) I can now no longer do that as I'm placed against level 60+ opponents. Needless to say I did not really play much of the Prologue for Covers on this account but I bet it would help especially getting Thor and C Storm from the earlier missions.

As for the Cover Slot price increase I believe IceX mentioned that the way Cover Slots work will be changing. So before we all jump ship and bash the game lets see what they do and how they react to the player base not buying Cover Slots and most likely just hoarding HP as I'm currently trying to do.
  • Oops, was forced to spend 700 on 2 new cover slots already. The alternative is just dumb D=
  • i'd venture you arent satisfied with either option... i've held off so far, can last longer still, hopefully until i can train from cache freeing up that last dead space. was going to sell my loki but i just won 2 more covers for him. still hoping they'll make loki not so horrible at some point.
  • Yeah it's the only reason I decided to keep him =(
  • Catalyst wrote:

I think it's fair. Why? You gamble less on getting the cover you want. It's time consuming to buy 30 covers for 4500 (150 each), and if none are what you want you need to dispose of the covers.
    If you don't have 30 spare slots, or if you only have 1 slot, it would suck to do that until you get the desired cover.

Spending 1100 on a sure thing is more convenient. If you try to get all the abilities it might cost you 8800 to get them all, but the cover cost at 1100 is cheaper than the 1250 upgrade cost. So now you have three abilities and 5 discounted upgrades. Otherwise it might cost you 9000 to get every ability, selling 57 covers. If you're lucky, you might get duplicate covers you can use to upgrade.