How do I progress from 2* to 3*

Options
Unknown
edited February 2014 in MPQ Tips and Guides
I have mostly 2* heroes. I mainly use CStorm, OBW and 2* Wolverine.
I have 3 Grey suit BW covers, 1 IM40, 1Classic mags, 1Hood, 1 Daredevil, 1Doom
What I am asking is for some tips to get more 3* heroes. I can't ever get high enough in the lightning rounds to get any covers because I don't have the villain needed and I just wondered how people made the transition. Do people just get into the top 45+ and use those 3* covers?

Comments

• With a good, leveled 2* roster, you should have little trouble placing in both PvP or PvE events and those are likely your best chance at getting the 3* covers you need.

For example, currently running Simulator offers Top 75 a Psylocke cover in 1000 sized brackets, and 3* Patch for 50000 pt progression reward. Double shot has Daredevil covers for placing 45 or higher in 500 sized brackets. All 3 of these should be obtainable (assuming you have level 85s).

The lightning rounds, unfortunately, are probably the most competitive PvP events in the game as it is unbracketed, so you're competing against every other player (only Top 15 out of usually 4000-5000 get a cover). It's very hard to place well in them so I would suggest just grind them for Iso and tokens for now.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    In terms of LR, you should try to tank them so that you have a chance at a diabolical token. What you can try to do is join right at the start of a LR so that you get seed teams, grind up to 100-150 or so, and then beat the seed team with a weak team so that you lose a lot and lower your MMR. I would try tanking one LR and playing the next in hopes of getting a diabolical token. What I did during these LRs during my 2* days was to lag slightly behind the diabolical token range (rank 60ish), and then push up to rank 25 such that there are 5 mins left when you hit rank 25, and then spend 25HP on a shield. This almost always guarantees you a diabolical token, and you can pretty consistently get this in the weaker rounds. The less popular LRs are Doom, Loki, Rags, so try to grind the tokens during those. This will let you slowly build up a villain base (took me ~3 weeks to get my almost maxed out villain roster, since I only have a 5/5/1 hood and 4/2/2 mags that aren't maxed out right now).

In terms of actually getting a 3* character, your best bet is to go for a recently released character, and try to win that character in the PvE event featuring it and the 2 subsequent PvP tournaments that inevitably follow. Patch was a good example of this, since he was offered as placement awards for the main bracket of a tournament, all the subbrackets of another tournament, and 2 PvP events. This should give you near max covers and a base to work with in terms of transitioning out of 2* land. You will probably have to spend a good 2-3 weeks building up your roster though, so be prepared for that.
  • kensterr
    kensterr Posts: 1,277 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Speaking from experience - if you don't have much time to spend on grinding for ISO or going into LR to get good placements you would have to P2W. Sometimes the amount of HP and ISO spent on getting good placements might add up close to that of a cover pack.

If spending money is not an option, then just grind slowly and keep on getting around 100-250 points in the LR for ISO and cover tokens. You'll be surprised that you can get lots of ** and *** covers from those standard tokens.
  • Definitely going to have to just keep grinding. As stated in an above comment, if you have a strong 2* team, you should be able to place in the top 45, or even top 15, of the 2 day tournaments. That's how I have gotten all of my 3*s. It is a grind, but that's what you kind of have to do to get those elusive 3*s.
  • Unfortunately, this seems like the longest transition in the game. In my opinion, you must have maxed out 2 star covers to earn enough 3 star covers to form playable characters. Even then you will still be running your 2 star guys for a long time while you farm enough ISO to level hour 3 star guys to 100-ish, before they generally out-perform your old 2 star team.

Luckily we are here early enough to where we should have decent teams and ISO saved by the time more 4 star characters start coming down the pipe, which should cushion that transition a bit.

I'm tempted to add something like "or spend money", but the ISO costs are so ridiculous as to be worthless. Not really any way to speed up the grind, unless you're Warren Buffet or something.
  • NorthernPolarity
    Options
    Note that Daredevil is following the Patch trend, as he was offered as placement awards in the past 3 PvP tournaments. Placing top 15 for all 3 tourneys would get you at least 6 covers towards a 3*. He's probably a pretty bad character to base a 3* roster on though, so I would hold off for Psylocke if you wanted to make that transition anytime soon.
  • Yeah, switching to 3* takes forever. Make sure you have a big roster, 25+, so you don't have to throw away 3* covers. Then, place well in PvE and PvP tournaments:getting a cover or two shouldn't be too bad if one of your 2*s is buffed in the tournament. Once you have 5 or 6 covers from the same character, you can start thinking about mixing them up with your 2* ranks.

The people that talk about level 100 before using 3*s are clearly remembering the times where thor and wolverine were rather op for their cost. I'd argue that a 3/3/3 patch is not really any worse than a 5/5/3 2* wolvie at the same level.
  • NorthernPolarity
    Options
    hibikir wrote:
    Yeah, switching to 3* takes forever. Make sure you have a big roster, 25+, so you don't have to throw away 3* covers. Then, place well in PvE and PvP tournaments:getting a cover or two shouldn't be too bad if one of your 2*s is buffed in the tournament. Once you have 5 or 6 covers from the same character, you can start thinking about mixing them up with your 2* ranks.

The people that talk about level 100 before using 3*s are clearly remembering the times where thor and wolverine were rather op for their cost. I'd argue that a 3/3/3 patch is not really any worse than a 5/5/3 2* wolvie at the same level.

Level 100 is just the point when a 3* character's tile match damage surpasses that of a 2* character. 3/3/3 has a level cap of 89, which is roughly equivalent to a level 75 2* character. That makes the 3* perfectly playable, but not a direct upgrade to a 2* character just yet.