Care and Feeding of: Angels!

Options
Reaganstorme
Reaganstorme Posts: 334 Mover and Shaker
Welcome back to another episode of "Care and Feeding of", your favourite realm's premier interactive (un)reality program!

Tonight's focus is ANGELS!

Exclusively the realm of White and Red Planeswalkers, these winged wonders will wallop the wicked and wail upon the wretched 'walkers of the multiverse.

Lets elevate this discussion into the clouds as we explore the possibilities of these aetheric warriors.

I've just been gifted with Sigil of the Empty Throne from my free three pack (which also included a Blight Herder as well (what a freebie pack!)) and am looking to find a Planeswalker and deck list to use it to its best.

As it doesn't trigger off of clues, that means looking for other cheap (?) supports with which to trigger it from. Oath of Gideon + Retreat to Emeria seem like likely additions, but are there any combos or tricks I should consider?

Otherwise, I'd love to hear about your Angel decks. I'll be coming back later to post a Sigarda green deck that I enjoyed for a while, too.

Comments

• Shadow-Mage
    Shadow-Mage Posts: 31 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Hello,

Lucky you, pulling Sigil from a 3 pack. It's one of the cards I have been wanting for a long while.

Here is the basic build of a deck I faced off against that I loved (and hated to face).

Murder Investigation
    Sigil of the Empty Throne
    Oath of Gideon
    True Faith Sensor
    Starfield of Nix
    Slayer's Plate

Throw in a cheap creature or a token creation spell and some ramp supports and it cycles until everything dies on the other side. Maybe throw in some removal as well. Clear the other side while setting up or ramp your death cycle by popping your own creature to spawn others.

I wish I had some of the cards in that deck but have yet to be that lucky. This was run in Gideon 1 so they could give vigilance as needed.

Hope this gives you some fun ideas.
  • Reaganstorme
    Reaganstorme Posts: 334 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Alas, I don't have Starfield of Nix yet, but I'll add Murder Investigation to the mix and see how that goes.

As for my Sigarda deck, i run this one with Kiora and mostly use her second ability to fetch more creatures due to the copious cascades, but any Green PW can run it:

Creatures (2)
    Sigarda, Heron's Grace
    Ulvenwald Hydra *1

Spells (3)
    Animist's Awakening
    Swell of Growth
    Root Out

Supports (5)
    Fertile Thicket
    Retreat to Kazandu
    Ulvenwald Mysteries
    Weirding Wood
    Zendicar Resurgent

*1 - Ulvenwald Hydra can be replaced with any Landfall benefiting green creature, such as Oran-Rief Hydra, Murasa Ranger, Undergrowth Champion, or even a Snapping Gnarlid.

This deck generates Human Soldier tokens though three ways: popping Sigarda's activation gems directly, by landfalls popping them with the colour changing effects (of which there are 4), or by getting Ulvenwald Mysteries and Zendicar Resurgent both into play and then bringing in supports and clues (Support enters play, triggers UM, Soldier token enters play, triggers ZR, draw a card. Creature dies, Clue enters play, triggers UM, Soldier token enters play, triggers ZR, draw a card.)
  • Avacyn
    Avacyn Posts: 89 Match Maker
    Options
    I often use helm of the gods when I go heavy support like a sigil deck. and Tamiyo's Journal makes it very easy to enable that spell.

This is what I run on my angelic deck that utilize sigil on Gideon 1.

vxE6ro8.png?2

and helm of the gods works very well with Gideon's first ability.
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,935 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Really solid deck. I hate you guys who play suppression bonds and hixus in the same deck icon_e_wink.gif
  • JanksMcJank
    JanksMcJank Posts: 62 Match Maker
    Options
    Are there any cards that actually play off of the angel type?

I just see three cards that summon Angel tokens:
    • Linvala, the Preserver
    • Sigil of the Empty Throne
    • Descend upon the Sinful