*** Magneto (Classic) ***

Comments

• His purple ability currently only tallies the number of blue tiles when dealing damage. 1 red tile and 13 blue = max damage. I'm sure they'll address it, and once they do, it'll probably be a more risky, higher reward Photon Blast.
  • Red move is cheap, but it doesn't do much damage...so I guess that's fine (even if it's annoying to watch him do that every single damn round).
    Blue move, not a problem.

But maybe it's just this event highlighting it, but my god is his purple move insanely powerful.
    When I looked at the level hundred-and-something Magneto, I saw the move did approx 500 damage. Then why did it kill my character outright, I wondered.
    Because it does 500 damage *for every red tile swapped* up to a maximum of thirteen. 5150 damage for a 10 purple tile move!? Is that just hands down the most powerful move in the game or something?

It just ends my game right there, usually. Especially in this PVE event. I struggle to take down Hood first because I'm sick of him stealing my AP every round. So sometimes I lose a character on the way. But then if they so happen to hoover up the purples, he hits me with that and instantly kills a character right afterwards. I thought maybe he was a powered up character, but he isn't! It's insane.

I've got of Red(5) and Blue (forgot how many), but 0 purple.

NEED PURPLE.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    turul wrote:
    He is just a bit overpovered in blue and red.

purple is not. Its damage is only "overpowered" when there is a lot of blue.
    There are lot of 3* abilities doing similar damage. Probably the only problem is, that most of them are red abilities.
    Magneto having it on purple -> two characters having high damage ability in one team - Probably this is the biggest problem in the developers aspect...
    Most 3* abilities doing similar damage have higher cost, and potentially downsides as well. At 10AP with the only limiting factor being the number of blue tiles on the board, it's an insane damage-to-cost ratio unless the board is totally starved for blue.

Edit:

For example, GSBW does fairly insane damage with sniper rifle if you add the AoE damage, but it takes 19 AP to fire, not 10, and of course if you don't have three enemies to take that AoE you're throwing some of it away. It takes more finesse and planning. And if you don't level it to five, you don't get the AoE add-on at all.
  • At level 5 purple and max level, having 6 blue tiles will result in more damage with Magnetic Translocation than Unibeam (also maxed). Unibeam costs more resources, has a drawback, not to mention red is clearly meant to be the most damaging color while purple is not really meant to be a damaging power (Gravity Warp is the only other purple power I can think that of that does significant damage and is certainly nowhere close).

Even if Magnetic Translocation did the lesser of blue or red (which it should always have been) it'd still be significantly overpowered because finding 6 red and 6 blue just isn't that hard.
  • I don't know if he's over powered but if he's not he's by far the best 141 in the game so far. He goes really well with pretty much any combination of Hulk, Patch, Hood, Doom, Loki, Ironman etc.

I have a maxed out Magneto as well as a couple other 141 characters that are mostly leveled.

His blue is actually an underated move. I rarely ever use it for the protection value. You can frequently create match 5 or 6 combinations by adding them to the board. It gets AP too so you will get 6 back guaranteed and depending on how much you had you can then use it again to make another match. These also create critical tiles and lots of multiple drop cascades. BIG AP AND DAMAGE.

His red is best used to save up 8 or 10. Depending on the situation. If you're stuck and have jack on the board to do you can use it to change it up bit... OR if you desperately need to get rid of a countdown timer and can't as is. But when you can stock pile 4 reps of the red you can almost clear the board and gain ap while doing it. I know that I've several times done 20 or more reps of the red power because it creates AP for other powers like Hoods yellow which can clear almost half the board and I can choose to gain red AP or whatever color I want back.

If there board is cooperating you and gives you enough tiles you can drop about anybody in the game with his purple.

Now if you're talking about right now in this round of simulator he is being powered up right now. A powered up 141 magneto is the best in the game. Better than any non powered up 4* char. (Which there currently aren't any)

Sometimes with my team I get lucky early on with the tiles and what AP I get and I can finish the entire team (Mostly thanks to Magneto but he has to be paired up right) without them ever touching the board again. Magneto can slice through 4* characters because he and his team can make it so you never get another turn.
  • You can get rid of any tile with his blue because it overwrites any tile, not just basic tiles. Just on that alone it should cost around 10 blue for solely the ability to overwrite any tile anywhere.
  • Polkio wrote:
    pardon me if this has been asked before, but I just noticed it for the first time today:

why is Magneto's third powered colour yellow and not purple to match his power? IIRC pretty much every hero/villain has his power colours matched to his abilities, no?

In theory yes. But check Black Widow Grey Suit icon_e_smile.gif

Sorry to revive a month-old post, but I came here wondering the same thing. I first noticed this in the Simulator PvE round in which Mags was buffed. It's seriously annoying. (My GSBW is only lvl 18 (I think), so I haven't noticed it on her yet--I guess she was too low level to claim any tiles even when boosted in OSCORP heroic.) Is there any evidence that this is intentional by the devs? If not (or even if so), it would be incredibly nice if it changes when he is funbalanced.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Think I'm going to go 5/4/4 for now. This hedges best on the nerf so that I can respec if necessary pretty easily, and 3AP red is a lot better than 4AP red. it feels like I rarely have more than 9 blue tiles on the board anyways, so no issue there.
  • Think I'm going to go 5/4/4 for now. This hedges best on the nerf so that I can respec if necessary pretty easily, and 3AP red is a lot better than 4AP red. it feels like I rarely have more than 9 blue tiles on the board anyways, so no issue there.

The 5th purple ups damage per blue tile as well. It doesn't say it but its there.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Think I'm going to go 5/4/4 for now. This hedges best on the nerf so that I can respec if necessary pretty easily, and 3AP red is a lot better than 4AP red. it feels like I rarely have more than 9 blue tiles on the board anyways, so no issue there.

I am thinking the same, but I still have doubts. 5 blue is a killer, you could spend them and get exactely 5 blue in return if you place them right. 4 in red is also good because you could trigger the power with just one match and 4 in pink you are moving enough blues (and as you said is going to be diificult to have more than 9 blue on the field).

My only fear is that Blue is going to be nerfed 100% sure.

My only other problem is that today I have won a red cover in a token (!!!) so I can get a 4/5/4 build if I win the blue and the red cover in Blind justice so now i have doubts of going with this build. What do you think 5/4/4 or 4/5/4?

entropic01 wrote:

The 5th purple ups damage per blue tile as well. It doesn't say it but its there.

Is that true? You know by how much? I have to know today, beacuse I can win the pink cover if I win a couple of fights!!! Arghhhh
  • Polares wrote:
    Is that true? You know by how much? I have to know today, beacuse I can win the pink cover if I win a couple of fights!!! Arghhhh

Yeah it's true, but I'm not sure what the difference is.

At 5 purple level 141 he does 636 per swap. Does anyone have the number for 4 purple at max?
  • NorthernPolarity
    Polares wrote:

I am thinking the same, but I still have doubts. 5 blue is a killer, you could spend them and get exactely 5 blue in return if you place them right. 4 in red is also good because you could trigger the power with just one match and 4 in pink you are moving enough blues (and as you said is going to be diificult to have more than 9 blue on the field).

My only fear is that Blue is going to be nerfed 100% sure.

My only other problem is that today I have won a red cover in a token (!!!) so I can get a 4/5/4 build if I win the blue and the red cover in Blind justice so now i have doubts of going with this build. What do you think 5/4/4 or 4/5/4?

entropic01 wrote:

I'd win the purple cover and then pray that the devs give us more information by the time his cover expires: theres a good chance that we get balancing notes before the end of the week since that should come alongside with R48.
  • mooken
    mooken Posts: 52 Match Maker
    edited February 2014
    Magnus Blue nerf confirmed.
    My Lvl 4 Blue used to cost 6 Blue to use - The cost is now 8 Blue. Can't speak to the protect strength before/after, since Mags is buffed in the tourney.

-- Ignore me, I'm an idiot. icon_e_sad.gif
  • AdamMagus
    AdamMagus Posts: 363 Mover and Shaker
    mooken wrote:
    My Lvl 4 Blue used to cost 6 Blue to use - The cost is now 8 Blue. Can't speak to the protect strength before/after, since Mags is buffed in the tourney.

Mine still costs 6. I see no update on the android market. Not sure where you get the cost of 8 from
  • mooken
    mooken Posts: 52 Match Maker
    AdamMagus wrote:
    mooken wrote:

Mine still costs 6. I see no update on the android market. Not sure where you get the cost of 8 from

ignore me. yes, I'm still at 6.
    was misinterpretting the intro mission default mags.
  • NorthernPolarity
    mooken wrote:
    AdamMagus wrote:
    mooken wrote:

ignore me. yes, I'm still at 6.
    was misinterpretting the intro mission default mags.

I have confidence that D3 will not stealth nerf characters again, especially after what happened with the Rags fiasco.
  • Sorry to resurrect this thread again, but I wanted to see if anyone has tried a 4/4/5? It looks like the only combination that hasn't been mentioned (unless I missed it).

I'm running a 4/3/5 Mags right now with one of each color sitting in bank. I'm solid with the purple (obviously) and have no intention of respecing that unless it gets a hard hit with the bat, which I doubt it will. So that leaves Blue and Red...

I originally intended to go 5/3/5, but things have changed since then. Most commonly, I'll run Mags with Patch and Spidey. Spidey for Stun/Heal/Protect, Patch for Berserk/Regen, and Mags for Translocation / Board clearing / Patch synergy. When I don't run with Spidey, I'm usually using Mag's blue for tile replacement, which doesn't lend itself to the spamming technique. So with this set up, 3/5/5 would probably be my optimal build..

With respec on the horizon, I was thinking of running 4/4/5 until I grab another Red cover.

However, looking at this build, It still allows the blue to fire in 2 matches and the red to fire off in a single match. Moving Red from 3 to 4 is a big difference, 1 match vs 2. Moving blue from 4 to 5 doesn't affect the speed of the charge as much as it allows for spamming (something I wasn't planning on doing anyway and will probably get removed in the near future).

Any thoughts on this? I just found it strange that the build isn't discussed.

Thanks for your input!
  • The difference between 4 and 5 in blue is whether you can get 4 random AP for 1 blue versus 4 random AP for 2 blue (this assumes the worst you do is a match 4 with Magnetic Field) and that's a rather significant difference.

There's no skill in the game that comes close to what level 5 Magnetic Field does in terms of AP generation. If I started with a match 5 blue, I can often kill a guy in that turn or the next turn. The only reason to not go this path is if you're pretty sure you can't get a 5th blue before his nerf, and I've no idea how you can be sure of such thing given he's apparently not that high on the rebalance list (was listed toward the end of upcoming balance queue).
  • Phantron wrote:
    The difference between 4 and 5 in blue is whether you can get 4 random AP for 1 blue versus 4 random AP for 2 blue (this assumes the worst you do is a match 4 with Magnetic Field) and that's a rather significant difference.

There's no skill in the game that comes close to what level 5 Magnetic Field does in terms of AP generation. If I started with a match 5 blue, I can often kill a guy in that turn or the next turn. The only reason to not go this path is if you're pretty sure you can't get a 5th blue before his nerf, and I've no idea how you can be sure of such thing given he's apparently not that high on the rebalance list (was listed toward the end of upcoming balance queue).

That would drive me bonkers. Magnetic field an opponent to death.
  • NorthernPolarity
    Jachdo wrote:
    Sorry to resurrect this thread again, but I wanted to see if anyone has tried a 4/4/5? It looks like the only combination that hasn't been mentioned (unless I missed it).

I'm running a 4/3/5 Mags right now with one of each color sitting in bank. I'm solid with the purple (obviously) and have no intention of respecing that unless it gets a hard hit with the bat, which I doubt it will. So that leaves Blue and Red...

I originally intended to go 5/3/5, but things have changed since then. Most commonly, I'll run Mags with Patch and Spidey. Spidey for Stun/Heal/Protect, Patch for Berserk/Regen, and Mags for Translocation / Board clearing / Patch synergy. When I don't run with Spidey, I'm usually using Mag's blue for tile replacement, which doesn't lend itself to the spamming technique. So with this set up, 3/5/5 would probably be my optimal build..

With respec on the horizon, I was thinking of running 4/4/5 until I grab another Red cover.

However, looking at this build, It still allows the blue to fire in 2 matches and the red to fire off in a single match. Moving Red from 3 to 4 is a big difference, 1 match vs 2. Moving blue from 4 to 5 doesn't affect the speed of the charge as much as it allows for spamming (something I wasn't planning on doing anyway and will probably get removed in the near future).

Any thoughts on this? I just found it strange that the build isn't discussed.

Thanks for your input!

The blue spamming is utterly insane at 5AP, and I'm pretty sure that it's essential to any character build. If you spam match 4s with blue, assuming you have 6 blue AP, 4 blue lets you do 1 match 4 before not being able to use magnetic field again while 5 blue lets you do 2 match 4s. At 9 blue, 4 blue lets you do 2 match 4s while 5 blue lets you do 5 match 4s before not being able to cast magnetic field again. Not only does it generate you extra AP, if you have strike tiles such as Punisher's, you get a ridiculous amount of damage tacked onto these match 4s for free.