D'oh - "Obvious" stuff you missed or didn't realise!

Options
Punter1
Punter1 Posts: 722 Critical Contributor
edited December 2016 in MPQ Tips and Guides
Posting this in here rather than the main chat as hopefully this is a helpful.

What things in game have you missed or made an assumption about before the penny drops one day. Here's a few of mine:

Invisible characters can be targeted by AOE damage - before I knew this I got stuck in a couple of battles against invisible characters trying to make that elusive match to get rid of their invisibility tile. I wouldn't have fired powers, believing them to be useless. I don't think this is explained anywhere

Deadpool's redflag.png "A little off the top" doesn't actually affect their health bar - I was convinced this was the case, it's written as "slicing the enemy's health bar," and the graphic makes it look like this is the case, but it's just using the health number to determine damage. They can still heal back up above the slice spot.

2* Cap Marvel blackflag.png "Sonic Boom" costs 3 random AP on top of 9 blackflag.png - I'd been enjoying using 2* Cap in DPD and the like and had been happily using her blackflag.png while sometimes being confused by the AP disappearing. Took me a while to read the power and notice this

KK's purpleflag.png "Inhuman Stretchiness" only affects tiles of the same color as that chosen - similar story, when I first started using this power I was always confused by the random affects, sometimes only a couple of tiles changed, other times lots. Had to stop and read the power properly a while later to realize it's a single color that's changed.

Groot's greenflag.png "Blammo we got ya!" explodes more tiles with more green - only just realized this one, I knew there was random tiles destroyed, but didn't know I could hold on and smash more with more green

Comments

• udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Took me over a year before I realized you could tell which CD belongs to which goon by cycling through them and watching the CD's.
  • Rick_OShay
    Rick_OShay Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    Options
    If you missed the details of some power descriptions, you had better go back and re-read Black Panther.
    His black power Rage of the Panther does a nice AOE attack, but the drawback is that it gives the opponents 5 AP in their strongest color.
    So, be sure that doing this power either downs the opponent that needs this color, or use it as a match ending play.
    Also with Panther, his yellow strike tiles are great, but if you can wait until gathering 12 TeamUp tiles first, his strikes are MUCH stronger.

And to compare to the Captain Marvel you mentioned, many other 3* characters have AP consequences when using certain powers. Iron Man Model 40 Red and Blue both drain other AP (if you have them), and Human Torch black power reduces many colors (again, if you don't have these colors or can afford them to be reduced, it's not an issue).

Good Luck!
  • ChattyWhacker
    ChattyWhacker Posts: 39 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I spent over a year not realizing that you can skip matches in PVP.....I sincerely don't know why I didn't figure this out in the beginning. I also didn't know that the red nodes in PVP were people who had already attacked you. I always assumed the red was just hard matches.
  • Suddenreal
    Suddenreal Posts: 92 Match Maker
    Options
    Punter1 wrote:
    2* Cap Marvel blackflag.png "Sonic Boom" costs 3 random AP on top of 9 blackflag.png - I'd been enjoying using 2* Cap in DPD and the like and had been happily using her blackflag.png while sometimes being confused by the AP disappearing. Took me a while to read the power and notice this

Rick OShay wrote:
    Iron Man Model 40 Red and Blue both drain other AP

Oh, I have activated both many times, just to realise I did that in the wrong order. And yet I still fall for it. I am certain that next time I'll be able to use Iron Man's yellow and red, I'll still fire his red first, only to face palm at missing 2 AP for his yellow.
  • Norksman
    Options
    If you are making a match with more than one tile at the same time - the tile you select is the one that determines the character that is tanking for the AI turn.

e.g. if you have gems in a line like this - yellowtile.pngyellowtile.pngbluetile.pngyellowtile.pngbluetile.pngbluetile.png - if you select the blue and swipe right, the character that tanks blue will be in front, if you pick the yellow tile and swipe left the character that tanks yellow will be in front after.
  • Lampo
    Lampo Posts: 121 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Norksman wrote:
    If you are making a match with more than one tile at the same time - the tile you select is the one that determines the character that is tanking for the AI turn.

e.g. if you have gems in a line like this - yellowtile.pngyellowtile.pngbluetile.pngyellowtile.pngbluetile.pngbluetile.png - if you select the blue and swipe right, the character that tanks blue will be in front, if you pick the yellow tile and swipe left the character that tanks yellow will be in front after.
    The charachter who does the first attack will be in front at the end of all the tile matches, and the first attack is the one done by the tile you move.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I remember when I was new to this game not knowing what the different coloured circles meant in PvE.
    Blue means use whatever's available to you.
    Orange means you're required to own a specific character in order to fight.
    Yellow means specific characters are required, but if you don't own one you'll be given a loaner.

I remember playing the Red ISO event when I was still rockin 1* characters and finding a high level node and saying "Welp, this is obviously not for me. I'll come back when i'm stronger" not realising if I'd pushed on I'd have been given the characters required to beat that node =)