How do you deal with Hixus as mono black, white, or blue?

Options
chispito
chispito Posts: 12
edited November 2016 in MtGPQ General Discussion
Does anyone have any creative solutions for dealing with Hixus, Prison Warden as mono black or blue? Support removal is beneficial when you have red, semi economical as green, and an absolute nightmare if you're white, black, or blue and are not relying on a high cost card (Mockery of Nature) or a rare (Anguished Unmaking). I can't think of many single cards that can shut me down like that. I never have a problem bouncing, stealing, killing, or disabling Olivia, Ulrich, et al.

But Hixus in the bottom corner...

Comments

• Plastic
    Plastic Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Color changing supports or running with more than 3 creature types (or spells to grant you a fourth) so that you can keep replacing a disabled creature.
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Mockery of nature is the card to go to I guess if you don't have Anguished unmaking.

If you're playing mono colour, I've found it beneficial to use grafstone for ramp. It also leads to quite a few line clear opportunities with >=4 match to help clear supports.

Plastic basically summed it up.
  • Foznertep
    Foznertep Posts: 121 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Or for Black, play with Ob Nixilis and don't even bother with creatures in the first place... icon_e_wink.gif
  • Steeme
    Steeme Posts: 784 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Plastic wrote:
    Color changing supports or running with more than 3 creature types (or spells to grant you a fourth) so that you can keep replacing a disabled creature.

Strange. I believe you, but in my experience sometimes the color changers end up making it more impossible to fish for Hixus, ie. it breaks up matches that would have otherwise cleared him out the next turn. I actually stopped using color changers completely after getting shut down on more than one occasion. I don't have Corrupted Graftstone so perhaps it's a specific color changer that is more effective than others.
  • khurram
    khurram Posts: 1,080 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The funny thing is that you will find most hixus owners complaining about it breaking the very next turn
  • Ohboy
    Options
    khurram wrote:
    The funny thing is that you will find most hixus owners complaining about it breaking the very next turn

I'm in that camp. I would never cast a hixus without reinforcement. It needs the shields so you can have time to tuck it in a corner before it dies.
  • fox1342
    fox1342 Posts: 174 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Also run plenty of removal so you've time to wait until you can break it. There's one story encounter with Starfield and Hixus. That isn't much fun.
  • morgue427
    morgue427 Posts: 783 Critical Contributor
    Options
    i know i got that one he got it by chance to it renewed the hixxus every turn i rage quit and beat down the next game without it happening
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Hixus needs to be fixed. His paper card isn't anywhere near this strong, it just exiles the creatures that attack the turn he enters, and so should only be able to disable creatures until the support leaves the battlefield that deal you damage until the beginning if you next turn, that way people can either cycle out disabled ones, or destroy the support.
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,936 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Not a whole lot. Running against Ultradaved's Gideon decks with Sorin or J2 is a pain, because he runs so many supports that there's no guarantee that you're going to target Hixus.
  • buscemi
    buscemi Posts: 673 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Monoblack? Forbidden Knowledge icon_e_smile.gif Failing that, Anguished Unmaking.... failing that, Shambling Vent, and maybe even Caves of Koilos (careful, tho, Caves is not, generally speaking, a good card)

Monowhite? Anguished Unmaking, Ajani's Ultimate, or Nahiri's second. Oh wait, they aren't monowhite, are they icon_razz.gif In that case, just make a bunch of white gems as normal and pop it.

Monoblue? Er.... Sword of the Animist is all I can offer, I'm afraid.
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Sword of the Anamist is colorless and will knock it out 99% of the time
  • Ohboy
    Options
    bken1234 wrote:
    Sword of the Anamist is colorless and will knock it out 99% of the time

Unfortunately if a hixus locking you down is the problem, sword of the animist does exactly nothing once the lock is on.
  • Morphis
    Morphis Posts: 975 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I pray

9fc.png
  • Zzyzzx
    Zzyzzx Posts: 248 Tile Toppler
    Options
    fox1342 wrote:
    Also run plenty of removal so you've time to wait until you can break it. There's one story encounter with Starfield and Hixus. That isn't much fun.
    Oh my yes, the 1st Gideon challenge. This one was a monster of a fight. It is, in my unnecessary opinion, the most difficult/frustrating/infuriating/vexing. I couldn't achieve the color challenge on this one until I picked up Sarkhan and loaded him up with red support-killers.

Now I also recall a Nissa challenge that's roughly the same difficulty. She starts with an Undergrowth Champ and that "Activate 2 to reinforce" support. It's not as difficult to deal with and complete the colour challenge (except maybe blue) but I've never had a 2-round crushing defeat with any other match than this one Nissa challenge.
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,230 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Zzyzzx wrote:
    fox1342 wrote:
    Oh my yes, the 1st Gideon challenge. This one was a monster of a fight. It is, in my unnecessary opinion, the most difficult/frustrating/infuriating/vexing. I couldn't achieve the color challenge on this one until I picked up Sarkhan and loaded him up with red support-killers.

Now I also recall a Nissa challenge that's roughly the same difficulty. She starts with an Undergrowth Champ and that "Activate 2 to reinforce" support. It's not as difficult to deal with and complete the colour challenge (except maybe blue) but I've never had a 2-round crushing defeat with any other match than this one Nissa challenge.

I think that's Gaea's Revenge, not Undergrowth Champion. It's the hexproof that makes it hard.