Deathless Behemoth in story mode

Options
marauderbear
marauderbear Posts: 7 Just Dropped In
edited November 2016 in MtGPQ Tips & Guides
Does anybody have any thoughts on how to beat this monstrosity with Jace? My current deck is:

Spawning Bed
Herald of Kozilek
Eldrazi Skyspawner
Incubator Drone
Psychic Rebuttal
Scour From Existence
Claustrophobia
Jace's Sanctum
Adverse Conditions
Sword of the Animist

I'm thinling of replacing the sword with Deathless Behemoth, just for a little irony.

Comments

• Zzyzzx
    Zzyzzx Posts: 248 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I know I've finished that chapter with all the colors but couldn't recall any specifics about the Deathless Behemoth so I am fighting him again right now.

... time passes while I montage through a battle ...

Not sure what you have in your arsenal but this stack worked for me just now. There are, of course, a few decent substitutions.
    Also, Jace's Confusion ability was paramount in the victory for this battle. It allowed me to weaken the power of Wasteland Strangler and Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger so they could be stolen with Welcome to the Fold.
      Jessian Thief (the only beast) Chilling Grasp Tightening Coils Welcome to the Fold (never leave home without it) Clutch of Currents Brain in a Jar Prism Array Sphinx's Tutelage Drownyard Temple Corrupt Grafstone

I used Jace's Mind Sculpt ability once during the battle, as soon as it was charged.
    It helped a bit because the computer dropped a ridiculous cascade immediately after I'd cast it...yielding a net Mana loss during its turn icon_lol.gif
    Chilling Grasp kept the Blight Herder and Wasteland Strangler docile long enough for me to welcome the Wasteland Strangler to the fold. I left the Blight Herder alone during the fight even after at least 2 reinforcements.
    Tightening Coils is a great card for a common, as efficient a go-to as Nissa's Pilgrimage (not a fact, just my opinion). It's indeed a big "screw you" to your opponent's fatty beasts and using Jace's Ingenuity ability just makes it more dangerous.
    Clutch of Currents is great because it's cheap and outright kills tokens. I never drew this card during this encounter and Deathless Behemoth used no tokens so it was essentially wasted.
    Brain in a Jar helps to get those spells cast.
    Prism Array is a must because the computer loves to match-4, triggering its ability, disabling the 1st beast.
    Sphinx's Tutelage is, in my experience, best used in Story Mode because the opponents tend to have some expensive critters in their hand...not to say it isn't useful in Quick Battle, just my observation.
    Drownyard Temple & Corrupt Grafstone are merely assurances that I can cast cards more frequently than the Behemoth.

This was my first time replying to one of these posts, hope it wasn't for naught.
    I hope this helps even a little.
  • marauderbear
    marauderbear Posts: 7 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Lol. Wouldn't you know it, I beat this level after about three more tries. But I appreciate the effort. And it might be that other players can use this information.
  • Zzyzzx
    Zzyzzx Posts: 248 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Lol. Wouldn't you know it, I beat this level after about three more tries. But I appreciate the effort. And it might be that other players can use this information.

Thanks. This same configuration was also successful throughout the remainder of the chapter so yeah, there's that.