Meld works. Is Transform working as intended?

Options
octal9
octal9 Posts: 593 Critical Contributor
edited November 2016 in MtGPQ General Discussion
TLDR: Should casting a day-side creature reinforce the already in-play night-side? Is transform's current restriction working as intended?

As we all know (since a big deal has been made of it) if you have a melded creature on the board and cast one of its component parts, it will reinforce the meld directly. You don't need an open slot on the battlefield for it.

This is not the case for transformed cards. I can have both sides of the same creature in play. This happened earlier on Arlinn:

1) Battlefield contained Geier Reach Bandit & Vildin Pack Alpha (flipped GRB). (This happened because VPA was disabled when GRB was cast, but neither flipped before my next turn. Note that any other werewolf this is a non-issue - they don't force the flip. With GRB I have to clarify this bit)
2) On my next turn, I casted Arlinn's token werewolves.
3) Four tokens came out. Each one received +2 from the GRB, and +3 from the VPA. This gave me a 28/28 token.

However, this is literally the only time I've had a positive outcome from this feature. Usually this is what happens:

1) Battlefield contains an Ulrich, Uncontested Alpha, an Olivia, Mobilized for War, and a Vildin Pack Alpha.
2) I can't cast my tinykittying Geier Reach Bandit that I charged up three turns ago because... reasons?

Please. Is transform working as intended, or should the creature played from hand reinforce its own night-side?

Comments

• madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,236 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I've always thought this should be the case.
  • Irgy
    Irgy Posts: 148 Tile Toppler
    Options
    It's working as intended, in that they consciously chose to make it work this way, but I also agree that the way it works is annoying. If there was no creature limit it would be fine but having to replace a transformed creature with itself (which I do a lot when chasing secondary goals) just feels bad, and makes all transform creatures ever so slightly worse than they look.
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Irgy wrote:
    It's working as intended, in that they consciously chose to make it work this way, but I also agree that the way it works is annoying. If there was no creature limit it would be fine but having to replace a transformed creature with itself (which I do a lot when chasing secondary goals) just feels bad, and makes all transform creatures ever so slightly worse than they look.

Not even slightly worse. With a 3 creature limit, all werewolves at least halve in value, and it goes down more if you're playing more than one.