Idea for rolling out new 1 and 2 star characters + PvE

Options
I think something most players here enjoy is seeing and playing with a diverse array of characters. That said, we now have a stable core roster that many of us are invested in and for at least a number of us, we're now focused on 3 star or at least 2-and-3 star rosters. Rolling out new 3-stars as tournament prizes makes sense, but how do we introduce new low-power characters? Especially considering there should be lots and lots of 1-stars: they're meant to be common.

My idea is for multiple static prologue chapters with different themes and restricted rosters, released with a flood of new 1-stars and a few new 2-stars plus prologue specific standard tokens to pull only from that "theme". So for example, there could be an X-Men prologue chapter that forces you to start with a new 1-star mutant (Beast? Jubilee? Angel?) just like the existing prologue starts you with IM35. Play through, unlock other 1-and-2-star mutants that are allowable for the events. The Mutant Standard Token would pull with the same star ratios as a regular standard, but only pull mutants. As the chapter progresses, allow the existing 2+-star XMen to be usable as well. Could do a similar Avengers only chapter to widen that roster, a Fantastic Four chapter, even some of the villain groups as well.

The main drawback is that it would be a huge undertaking. Lots of characters to design and balance, plus PvE stages to design and balance, plus stories/dialogue to write. But I struggle to think of another way to make veteran players care about new 1 or even most 2 star characters. Thoughts?

Comments

• Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I suggested something like this a while back as well. Without a big wave of new content designed around multiple new lower-level characters, I don't think they can ever effectively introduce them for current players.

Besides, the prologue was *fun* and well-balanced. Give us a second prologue!
  • Would you spend another 400HP for roster slot to recruit a new *? Would you add ISO to a new *?
    My * team members are waiting to be sold out -- despite massive losing out on ISO, all due to roster space shortage.

Address HP and ISO shortage before allowing flood of new characters -- even the current pace is a bit too much.

And for * group probably one of the "veteran" suggestions are needed first too -- you just can't really use them outside events with massive roster limits or buffs.