***** Doctor Strange (Sorcerer Supreme) *****

Comments

• Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    notamutant wrote:
    https://youtu.be/mLZOBobQvMI

My analysis video. You can also watch my playthrough of the PvE event where I used him. Insane in PvE, decent on offense in PvP, but I wouldn't use him for defense in PvP since he is too easy a target. Best single teammate is Black Bolt. Best way to take him out is Green Goblin glider and Black Bolt so he can't get off his yellow. PvE ranking - 1. PvP ranking - 6.

Looks like everybody agree on this one. I don't know if people who have whaled him will say something different about PvP, but for now, top tier for PvE, too little hitpoints for normal PvP is going to be the general rule (but probably great as third for Sim).

Thing is, defense in PvP in 5 land is not that important, once you have a working PH+OML no 5 can really go against them (not even Spidey), so maybe his low hitpoints is not a big deal (it is important to see if his low hitpoints will really make him a target). His blue and yellow are really good, and his purple can work wonders against strike tile creators, so maybe he can also be a very good teammate for BBolt or PH in PvP too.

Strange is right now, the best stunner in 4 land and this is a big deal (I would have killed to have Strange already champed to go against those Rhulks this weekend).
  • kman
    kman Posts: 1
    Lucked out this weekend and got a Legendary Token on the first day of the Strange Event. Then hastily used the token and received the purple cover for this. Right now, he's level 255. My next 3 highest leveled characters are 2* Daken (101), Wolvie (99) and Thor (98).

Based on how scaling works, should I consider selling him? I dont' know if it's a direct result of the scaling, but I've had problems completing the 4th (out of 6) clear in some of the nodes in the current Deadpool event.

I'm still mostly in the 2* land, so it may be a while before I hit the 5* area. But I also don't want to sell it if the cover is relatively rare. If this was the yellow cover, it would be a no-brainer keep for me.

Sorry if this is a little off-topic.
  • ErikPeter
    ErikPeter Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Keep him. Don't level him. It's his worst power, best used against Hand ninjas, but his match damage alone will help you in many battles.

If you continue having trouble it may be due to your roster, Wolvie/Daken are in the bottom half of 2-stars and have little to no utility (AP gain/denial) in tiers beyond (whereas Storm, OBW, Mags will find use well into the 3-4 transition). Magneto especially can fish for crits which, teamed with Strange, can do 3-5k damage by themselves and generate blue (e.g. fueling Storm's 2k+ aoe with 4-turn stun).

If you have any CP saved up I'd even suggest risking it on more token pulls before the Sanctorum closes up (in 4 hours icon_neutral.gif ). 10% is the best chance you'll ever have (if you spend 175 CP that's about a 50% chance of one or more) to get additional covers which would considerably boost his effectiveness (esp. if you lucked out on a Yellow), plus no chance of getting a different 5-star singleton which would push your difficulty further (2 255s in a 2-star roster is manageable, but kind of a huge pain and definitely not recommended.) You'd get a bunch of 4s and probably have to dump some you wouldn't have room for, but it'd be worth it IMO.
  • Wobby
    Wobby Posts: 286 Mover and Shaker
    I posted this in the November thread to irritate the hoarders--
    I cashed in 30the 3 vault tokens: got 1 Strange.
    Cashed in 1000CP, got another another 7.
    Champ rewards got me another 25cp, cashed in for my 9th.

I'm at 4/4/1 which is NOT that great... but at level 390 he feels like he will end up pretty useful.
  • notamutant
    notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Wobby wrote:

I'm at 4/4/1 which is NOT that great... but at level 390 he feels like he will end up pretty useful.

I see many purple 5trange pulls in your future. I still have only one 5 star with 5 covers in one color, and I pulled a 6th in that color.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    notamutant wrote:
    Wobby wrote:

I see many purple 5trange pulls in your future. I still have only one 5 star with 5 covers in one color, and I pulled a 6th in that color.
    That's the beauty of pulling Latest, CS will swap dupes for another colour.
  • notamutant
    notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Bowgentle wrote:
    notamutant wrote:
    Wobby wrote:

That isn't a given. There is no official statement anywhere to that effect. It is entirely up to the discretion of the CS rep your ticket is reviewed by. It might happen, but it just as likely won't, especially if you haven't spent money on the game.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    notamutant wrote:
    Bowgentle wrote:
    notamutant wrote:
    Wobby wrote:

That isn't a given. There is no official statement anywhere to that effect. It is entirely up to the discretion of the CS rep your ticket is reviewed by. It might happen, but it just as likely won't, especially if you haven't spent money on the game.
    It is a given.
    They WILL swap Latest for the same character.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    Wobby wrote:

Bro you are set! You literally have 3months to get 4 covers at any color (remember, they only do cover swaps on LL characters)
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,296 Chairperson of the Boards
    Added to the Character Conpendium (along the 3* version).
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    ErikPeter wrote:
    Keep him. Don't level him. It's his worst power, best used against Hand ninjas, but his match damage alone will help you in many battles.

If you continue having trouble it may be due to your roster, Wolvie/Daken are in the bottom half of 2-stars and have little to no utility (AP gain/denial) in tiers beyond (whereas Storm, OBW, Mags will find use well into the 3-4 transition). Magneto especially can fish for crits which, teamed with Strange, can do 3-5k damage by themselves and generate blue (e.g. fueling Storm's 2k+ aoe with 4-turn stun).

If you have any CP saved up I'd even suggest risking it on more token pulls before the Sanctorum closes up (in 4 hours icon_neutral.gif ). 10% is the best chance you'll ever have (if you spend 175 CP that's about a 50% chance of one or more) to get additional covers which would considerably boost his effectiveness (esp. if you lucked out on a Yellow), plus no chance of getting a different 5-star singleton which would push your difficulty further (2 255s in a 2-star roster is manageable, but kind of a huge pain and definitely not recommended.) You'd get a bunch of 4s and probably have to dump some you wouldn't have room for, but it'd be worth it IMO.

I'm sorry but......a lot of that is TERRIBLE advice. Did you not read them say that they are ONLY a mere 2* player??????? Clearly, you have no clue how much PvE and PvP is effected, after you roster a 5*. Most of you vets / 4* and up people do not. lol. Good Lord.

• Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    TLCstormz wrote:
    ErikPeter wrote:

I'm sorry but......a lot of that is TERRIBLE advice. Did you not read them say that they are ONLY a mere 2* player??????? Clearly, you have no clue how much PvE and PvP is effected, after you roster a 5*. Most of you vets / 4* and up people do not. lol. Good Lord.

I am a player in 5 land, but in my alliance we have had a lot of 2 players doing the 2->3 transition, and I have to say that I agree. Sell him. Not worth it the months of higher scaling and higher PvP for that cover.

If it was OML yellow or GG black I would probably say that it was worth it to keep it, but not for Strange purple.

And for the love of God, don't use your CPs now! Hoard them. Using them right now just hurts you, and you lose some valuable resources that will be much useful down the line (when you champ 3+ 3s is the minimum time you should wait).
  • amusingfoo1
    amusingfoo1 Posts: 597 Critical Contributor
    Got him champed last week, and he's fantastic. His blue is really great; didn't appreciate just how good at first. The stun is good, but it's a lot of damage too. Haven't tried him in PvP, but he just destroys PvE.

The one thing that's weird is that his match damage is super-high; he tanks blue, for instance, over a Surfer ten levels higher. I'm sure it's to limit him, but it's definitely annoying.
  • ESN91
    ESN91 Posts: 71 Match Maker
    Hello,

Would a 3/0/5 Doc Strange be worth leveling to 315 ?
    I don't plan to use him for PVP... Just to clear first nodes in PVE.

Thank You.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    ESN91 wrote:
    Hello,

Would a 3/0/5 Doc Strange be worth leveling to 315 ?
    I don't plan to use him for PVP... Just to clear first nodes in PVE.

Thank You.
    looking at your roster, I'd say yes. i have a 5/3/5 at 360 and never use his purple. yellow is his primary function and blue a second primary (or very strong secondary). oml/fist/strange can get through most all goon nodes with no damage taken.

edit: also, for those who don't read the entire blue description, his cd also destroys ap of that color. took me a while before i realized that. makes it even better than just the stun/damage, which is great by itself. icon_e_wink.gif
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Polares wrote:
    notamutant wrote:

My analysis video. You can also watch my playthrough of the PvE event where I used him. Insane in PvE, decent on offense in PvP, but I wouldn't use him for defense in PvP since he is too easy a target. Best single teammate is Black Bolt. Best way to take him out is Green Goblin glider and Black Bolt so he can't get off his yellow. PvE ranking - 1. PvP ranking - 6.

Looks like everybody agree on this one. I don't know if people who have whaled him will say something different about PvP, but for now, top tier for PvE, too little hitpoints for normal PvP is going to be the general rule (but probably great as third for Sim).

Thing is, defense in PvP in 5 land is not that important, once you have a working PH+OML no 5 can really go against them (not even Spidey), so maybe his low hitpoints is not a big deal (it is important to see if his low hitpoints will really make him a target). His blue and yellow are really good, and his purple can work wonders against strike tile creators, so maybe he can also be a very good teammate for BBolt or PH in PvP too.

Strange is right now, the best stunner in 4 land and this is a big deal (I would have killed to have Strange already champed to go against those Rhulks this weekend).

Why so? The main benefit to OML Phoenix team is drowning your opponent in strikes...which Spidey renders useless. Sure you can spam Purple but you'll just be getting regular ol' match damage which vs anyone below the 5* tier is devastating but against another 5* with a 50k health pool is not all that amazing.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Polares wrote:
    notamutant wrote:

Why so? The main benefit to OML Phoenix team is drowning your opponent in strikes...which Spidey renders useless. Sure you can spam Purple but you'll just be getting regular ol' match damage which vs anyone below the 5* tier is devastating but against another 5* with a 50k health pool is not all that amazing.
    Spidey is an annoyance, but he's not a huge problem for OML + Phoenix as long as you kill him first. Or stun him Before you unload your arsenal. The match might take longer, but you are still likely winning.
  • Piro_plock
    Piro_plock Posts: 287 Mover and Shaker
    To be honest, there are no good defensive teams in 5* land, period. As soon as you get any 2 5* champs, you can pretty much beat any team that isn't 20 levels higher on average. There are no DPX/Thing type pesky combos here.
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,105 Chairperson of the Boards
    RNG has been crazy in giving me 5-star Strange covers.  I've got him at 5/4/3 right now, which is three covers more than any other 5-star I currently have (OML and Silver Surfer)  My 5-stars are all currently sitting at around LVL 280-300, and I have most of the 4-stars champed in the 280-270 realm.  Is 5trange a good choice for the first 5-star to get up to super high levels?  (For comparison, OML is 5/3/1, Thanos is 2/3/2, and BP is 2/2/2.)
  • maguirenumber6
    maguirenumber6 Posts: 457 Mover and Shaker
    Am I still OK to post on this page, after it's been inactive for a while? I was just curious about his damage values when championed, ie at 450. How can I find this out?