***** Doctor Strange (Sorcerer Supreme) *****

Comments

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    bpcontra wrote:
    His yellow is an absolute beast in PvE....wow

Yeah, hard to see him having trouble with just about any node against 2+ goons that spawn CDs. Even 100k health will burn away pretty fast taking 8-24k damage per turn.

For fun you could play him with Cage and Star Lord.

Every match will take 20 minutes and you won't ever actually have to use an active power (though if you did, you could use Strange's awesome blue for just 7ap).
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx wrote:
    bpcontra wrote:
    His yellow is an absolute beast in PvE....wow

Yeah, hard to see him having trouble with just about any node against 2+ goons that spawn CDs. Even 100k health will burn away pretty fast taking 8-24k damage per turn.

For fun you could play him with Cage and Star Lord.

Every match will take 20 minutes and you won't ever actually have to use an active power (though if you did, you could use Strange's awesome blue for just 7ap).

As is scaling right now in PvE for 5 players, I am really considering going all out on LLs to get as many Strange covers as possible so I can use him in PvE all the time. A team composed of SS, OML and Strange, so OML and SS tank the 'useful' Strange colors (no need for purple in this team) so they can soak-heal all the damage while Strange is always safe behind firing yellow every time the AI uses any power might be the way of defeating this crazy scaling that we have right now. At least in goon nodes. He would have not been enough to defeat Boss Rush later rounds.

PS: Of course, there is the little detail of getting Strange covers first. But I guess If I start now, he will be in LLs at least for 4-6 months, so I should have enough time to get some covers for him.
  • Vhailorx
    The king who shall not be named on these forums has a champed strange@461.

But the passive yellow damage (with 5 covers) is only 6k and change. Why is it lower than the reported 8445 for 450? Can we get a redname comment?
  • Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    So should I go all in on trying to pull some yellow covers (all you need to speed up the PvE)? I guess this is going to be as rare as OML yellow icon_e_sad.gif
  • stochasticism
    stochasticism Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx wrote:

But the passive yellow damage (with 5 covers) is only 6k and change. Why is it lower than the reported 8445 for 450? Can we get a redname comment?

It was nerfed prelaunch, rightly so.
  • Polares
    Vhailorx wrote:

When? Where is that communication? Or are you just guessing?

His yellow active does 17.4k dmg at 461 so maybe they buffed a bit the active dmg? He has 39k hitpoint, so his life looks also higher than in the stats we have.
  • Arckon
    Arckon Posts: 9 Just Dropped In
    For those don't already know the yellow passive has been Nerfed from 8400 to 5800. This was probavly done because of the way strange would interact with PVE (totally obliterating much of the PVE content). Obviously nothing is certain until he's been play tested, however the change looks to have made him completely irrelevant in PVP. With his tiny health pool that big scary passive was the one thing that might have forced opponents to mostly match damage him down. If they keep his passive at the current level they need to add something else to balance it out like a burst healing component or larger health pool. If they want more diversity at the five star level, they have to consider how new characters will play on defense.
  • Vhailorx
    Whether or not it was the right move, such a nerf should have been announced more broadly.
  • Arckon
    Polares wrote:
    Vhailorx wrote:

His yellow active does 17.4k dmg at 461 so maybe they buffed a bit the active dmg? He has 39k hitpoint, so his life looks also higher than in the stats we have.

Polares, where are you getting the numbers on his health and the active damage component of the yellow power. All the screen shots I have show those to be in line with what was originally stated.
  • Polares
    Arckon wrote:
    Polares wrote:
    Vhailorx wrote:

Polares, where are you getting the numbers on his health and the active damage component of the yellow power. All the screen shots I have show those to be in line with what was originally stated.

KDN roster. He has it already champed at 461. He has 11 levels more so it is hard to know the original numbers.

Numbers at 461 level

Life 39014
    Blue dmg 6950
    Yellow 17433 active, 6339 passive

Oh and the critical is 4.2 and team up 345. Match dmg Y534, R80, Bl686, P610,G,73, B87, Team345
  • Arckon
    Polares wrote:
    Vhailorx wrote:

KDN roster. He has it already champed at 461. He has 11 levels more so it is hard to know the original numbers.

Numbers at 461 level

Life 39014
    Blue dmg 6950
    Yellow 17433 active, 6339 passive

Oh and the critical is 4.2 and team up 345. Match dmg Y534, R80, Bl686, P610,G,73, B87, Team345
    [/quote]

That looks about right for 461, no change to stated health or damage of the yellow active component.
  • Cthulhu
    Cthulhu ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 410 Site Admin
    Hello Everyone,

Doctor Strange was changed after I posted the notes on his abilities. Please see the edits in the Passive Flames of the Faltine power, not the damage dealt when spending 14 AP.

Sorry this got by me and I just found out about it today.

icon_greengoblin.png Cthulhu icon_greengoblin.png
  • Polares
    Well, anyway, with the changes of his yellow I still think he might be top tier for PvE, but he has been hit quite hard as a viable char for PvP, at least for normal events (he might still be ok as third for Sim). With his hitpoints and yellow not being as dangerous as before, he can be easily killed first, even firing one ability like PH red. Against goons, at 5, he will still be very good I guess.

It would have been much appreciated if the active was raised a bit to compensate for the loss.
  • Vhailorx
    edited November 2016
    Polares wrote:
    Well, anyway, with the changes of his yellow I still think he might be top tier for PvE, but he has been hit quite hard as a viable char for PvP, at least for normal events (he might still be ok as third for Sim). With his hitpoints and yellow not being as dangerous as before, he can be easily killed first, even firing one ability like PH red. Against goons, at 5, he will still be very good I guess.

It would have been much appreciated if the active was raised a bit to compensate for the loss.

Without a strong deterrant passive, he looks pretty vulnerable to a phoenix/oml team. They are likely to drop him with just a couple of powers before he can get the eye of agamotto going to remove their strikes.

But this game is full of characters who suck at pvp and absolutely destroy pve. So adding one more isn't much of a surprise.
  • Polares
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Polares wrote:

Without a strong deterrant passive, he looks pretty vulnerable to a phoenix/oml team. They are likely to drop him with just a couple of powers before he can get the eye of agamotto going to remove their strikes.

But this game is full of characters who suck at pvp and absolutely destroy pve. So addibg one more isn't much of a surprise.

Correct, and I don't think that is bad at all, not everyone should be good at everything (If you ask me, I would say no one should be good at everything).

Blue is still very good, cheap power that does a lot of things right. Purple will be also very handy against some enemies, like Muscles and Symbiotes. And yellow now is 'just' very good, 6k is very good (against everybody except OML). Now, BBolt black is for me the better power of the two though.
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    Cthulhu wrote:
    Hello Everyone,

Doctor Strange was changed after I posted the notes on his abilities. Please see the edits in the Passive Flames of the Faltine power, not the damage dealt when spending 14 AP.

I hope ya communicated to them that, not only did they not add any kind of buff to his other powers nor health to compensate for this change, they also did this nerf at the last minute after everyone was already anticipating that Yellow, which very much changes his PvP viability.

And that THESE are reasons why their playerbase get annoyed with them.

:-p
  • notamutant
    notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    TLCstormz wrote:
    Cthulhu wrote:
    Hello Everyone,

I hope ya communicated to them that, not only did they not add any kind of buff to his other powers nor health to compensate for this change, they also did this nerf at the last minute after everyone was already anticipating that Yellow, which very much changes his PvP viability.

And that THESE are reasons why their playerbase get annoyed with them.

:-p

Would you rather they not preview the characters for us at all though? I personally would rather get slightly inaccurate numbers before a release to at least get a general idea what to expect from a character in advance. If someone has so little patience that they can't wait a day after the character is officially released for better numbers before spending thousands of dollars on it, that is their fault. We can complain that the numbers are incorrect so they get fixed, but we shouldn't complain that they release information early that ends up being inaccurate, or they might not ever release information in advance. With any other company, I would not think it such a big deal, but the more feedback they get at D3, the more they clam up.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    In December 2018 I am planning on running Dr Strange with Black Blot in PVE and just passive ability my way to victory!!! I will throw out OML to tank of course that way I don't need Health Packs.
  • eidehua
    eidehua Posts: 521 Critical Contributor
    I tried to get a feel of max level doctor strange by running bullseye + falcon with him in some rounds, and yeah, the yellow passive feels awesome against goons icon_e_biggrin.gif (even about at half of 5.5k)
  • notamutant
    notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    https://youtu.be/mLZOBobQvMI

My analysis video. You can also watch my playthrough of the PvE event where I used him. Insane in PvE, decent on offense in PvP, but I wouldn't use him for defense in PvP since he is too easy a target. Best single teammate is Black Bolt. Best way to take him out is Green Goblin glider and Black Bolt so he can't get off his yellow. PvE ranking - 1. PvP ranking - 6.