Devs, for real. What's the deal?

Options
Plastic
Plastic Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
LakeStone posted during the weekend about server issues, so I'm assuming you guys are aware of all the issues and concerns of the players of how:

1) the Emrakul's Corruption event arbitrarily was started 2 hours earlier than expected. Why?

2) the amount of player logging in to play at the actual expected time caused those already playing to suffer losses due to server instability.

Yet there's no official response to any of this. So it makes one wonder if you guys are OK with it until somebody brings it up and it'll get addressed at that point.

Comments

• Saintbenn
    Saintbenn Posts: 24 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Although we aren't a top 10 guild, we usually are around 25 or less. Having players not be able to contribute to the coalition because of server issues caused us, and everyone else, to lose ground and rewards. I'm sure everyone would like an update at the the stability of the server and what is being done to prevent further disruptions.
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Current event is first one in recent memory that had no problems.

So, Kudos?
  • Plastic
    Options
    Ohboy wrote:
    Current event is first one in recent memory that had no problems.

So, Kudos?

Personally, I don't know as I've come to the point of not playing anymore. But that's great if it went off without a hitch. I still feel that this past weekend's events deserve more insight from the devs. It's not cool how the event just changed for no given reason.
  • LeafHyren
    LeafHyren Posts: 90 Match Maker
    Options
    Plastic wrote:
    Yet there's no official response to any of this. So it makes one wonder if you guys are OK with it until somebody brings it up and it'll get addressed at that point.

Stopping in for an occasional head bobbling or "I see" "oh please tell me more" or "how does that make you feel" would be great, some therapist mind tricks would at least give a little comfort. icon_razz.gif

At least to say you are aware of the issues and you're doing your best, which I genuinely believe is the case.
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    LeafHyren wrote:
    Plastic wrote:

Stopping in for an occasional head bobbling or "I see" "oh please tell me more" or "how does that make you feel" would be great, some therapist mind tricks would at least give a little comfort. icon_razz.gif

Maybe they should hire Eliza to do community management icon_e_smile.gif
  • EDHdad
    EDHdad Posts: 609 Critical Contributor
    Options
    My assumption is that the event began 2 hours earlier so that it would also end 2 hours earlier, thus making it easier to transition from one event to the other.

Another assumption is that this was necessary because they wanted the Halloween event to be on Halloween.

A further assumption is that they didn't communicate any of this to us because they aren't in the habit of communicating useful information that people would actually want to know. At least, not on weekends. And possibly pagan holidays.
  • Plastic
    Options
    EDHdad wrote:
    My assumption is that the event began 2 hours earlier so that it would also end 2 hours earlier, thus making it easier to transition from one event to the other.

Another assumption is that this was necessary because they wanted the Halloween event to be on Halloween.

A further assumption is that they didn't communicate any of this to us because they aren't in the habit of communicating useful information that people would actually want to know.

I'm sure all these are the case. The fact there's no communication is beyond irritating. This is why I stopped playing this weekend and probably not going to play anymore. Maybe I'm expecting too much out of "just a mobile game" because I'm used to the type of interaction players get from devs in large MMOs.

Maybe this game just isn't the right fit for me, which is a shame because I do love the idea of MtG on the go without needing a huge investment like paper. Oh well...
  • Irgy
    Irgy Posts: 148 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Plastic wrote:
    1) the Emrakul's Corruption event arbitrarily was started 2 hours earlier than expected. Why?

It didn't start 2 hours earlier than expected it started 2 hours earlier than usual. The in-game count-down said what the start time would be for 24 hours beforehand and then it started exactly at the time it said it would start.

Now don't get me wrong, I completely agree that if they're going to change something which has been the same every time so far they should announce it. I just want to transfer this complaint from "something changed" to "something changed unannounced". Because I've been asking for events to have different start times occasionally for a long time and they finally did it and it was great and I'm very pleased about it. What I think they should do is start at different times so often that people don't just assume it will always be a particular time in the first place. I'm sure they didn't really do it for me but I'm happy anyway.

Oh and what might also help is if it said e.g. "1 day 16 hours" instead of just "1 day", because then there'd be more than 24 hours notice of the actual start time. I can also say that one of my friends was confused by the rounding on this the first time during the event itself, he actually got up at 2am to play what he thought was the last round of games (because it had said it would end in 1 day almost a whole day ago) only to discover there was another entire day to go. There really genuinely is enough room on the screen to fit more than just the text "1 day".
  • Plastic
    Options
    Irgy wrote:
    Plastic wrote:

It didn't start 2 hours earlier than expected it started 2 hours earlier than usual. The in-game count-down said what the start time would be for 24 hours beforehand and then it started exactly at the time it said it would start.

Now don't get me wrong, I completely agree that if they're going to change something which has been the same every time so far they should announce it. I just want to transfer this complaint from "something changed" to "something changed unannounced". Because I've been asking for events to have different start times occasionally for a long time and they finally did it and it was great and I'm very pleased about it. What I think they should do is start at different times so often that people don't just assume it will always be a particular time in the first place. I'm sure they didn't really do it for me but I'm happy anyway.

Oh and what might also help is if it said e.g. "1 day 16 hours" instead of just "1 day", because then there'd be more than 24 hours notice of the actual start time. I can also say that one of my friends was confused by the rounding on this the first time during the event itself, he actually got up at 2am to play what he thought was the last round of games (because it had said it would end in 1 day almost a whole day ago) only to discover there was another entire day to go. There really genuinely is enough room on the screen to fit more than just the text "1 day".

I guess that's where the confusion was for me then. I saw that the event was starting in 1 day and assumed it was at it's usual time, so I set my alarm as such. Either way, there is a major lack of communication from the staff.