Event structure and server load

Options
shteev
shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
edited October 2016 in MtGPQ General Discussion
We really need to talk about this now.

The structure of the events necessitates that everone log on at exactly the same time to avoid danger of losing overall total games to play, and also to beat other players in tie breaks (I am fighting for 5th place right now so I get the chance for a Deploy the Gatewatch rather than a load of old ****).

To avoid these problems everybody has to start playing immediately at the start of the event, and then again when their final nodes respawn. As a result, server load always, predictably, goes up at these times, and often causes problems, from temporary lag to an outright crash of the game which requires 'A Maintenance'.

I suspect that *even the Americans* have been badly affected by todays A Maintenance, as they will have just got out of bed and will need to clear their nodes after a night's sleep.

The structure of the event can EASILY be changed to avoid this problem. Firstly, do not start with the nodes full. Give everybody 12 hours to start playing their games. I know, I know, it's important for you to instill Pavlovian reactions in your user base because you want them to keep playing because of the addictiveness of the system (and not because the game is 'fun' or any nonsense like that), but believe me, you've accomplished that now. We spend all day on Slack talking about nothing but this game. You should join! You might learn something. We talk a lot about MPQ. Have you ever played it?

Secondly, do not rank players above other players who have the same number of points for prize purposes. Again, I know why you're doing this, the benevolent dev team have been beaten into submission by their evil corporate overlords who won't allow them to give out any more prizes, and giving everyone prizes for the higest rank they are tied into would cause this. So why not just give everyone who is tied prizes for the lowest rank? You know you're shafting us, we know you're shafting us, you might as well be honest about it.

Thirdly... Oh, I don't know. This isn't my damn job. You think of something. What percentage of your team gets called off content creation every time your server falls over? Think of your bottom line!

Comments

• Nitymp
    Nitymp Posts: 320 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Yup! The first-come-first-served system is pretty rubbish!

Events start at 5pm for me, which is when work finishes. So, if I have any delay in being able to leave work, I automatically forfeit all tie breaks. Not to mention that most of the time now, the server goes into maintenance and then usually comes back up while I'm driving home.
  • CH3COOH
    Options
    Well I ,got ranked about 30 in this event (could be precise, as game went to maitenance..)...BUT I could easily be in top 25!!!
    I Lost several nodes and points, because several times after i won a fight it went to "fetching player event", "error getting data" and now "maintenance"...

Another event where i lost, mainly TIME,of my life...and respect for D3...
    And i dont want the 1000 runes.... I want the card I was supposed to get, since I applyed my time playing the game for it...

About time zones: I also got Scr**ed on this. Because i went to bed for nodes to recover, then in the morning with nodes recovered these errors started...(its 12.46 now)
  • jimilinho_
    Options
    shteev wrote:
    We really need to talk about this now.

The structure of the events necessitates that everone log on at exactly the same time to avoid danger of losing overall total games to play, and also to beat other players in tie breaks (I am fighting for 5th place right now so I get the chance for a Deploy the Gatewatch rather than a load of old ****).

To avoid these problems everybody has to start playing immediately at the start of the event, and then again when their final nodes respawn. As a result, server load always, predictably, goes up at these times, and often causes problems, from temporary lag to an outright crash of the game which requires 'A Maintenance'.

I suspect that *even the Americans* have been badly affected by todays A Maintenance, as they will have just got out of bed and will need to clear their nodes after a night's sleep.

The structure of the event can EASILY be changed to avoid this problem. Firstly, do not start with the nodes full. Give everybody 12 hours to start playing their games. I know, I know, it's important for you to instill Pavlovian reactions in your user base because you want them to keep playing because of the addictiveness of the system (and not because the game is 'fun' or any nonsense like that), but believe me, you've accomplished that now. We spend all day on Slack talking about nothing but this game. You should join! You might learn something. We talk a lot about MPQ. Have you ever played it?

Secondly, do not rank players above other players who have the same number of points for prize purposes. Again, I know why you're doing this, the benevolent dev team have been beaten into submission by their evil corporate overlords who won't allow them to give out any more prizes, and giving everyone prizes for the higest rank they are tied into would cause this. So why not just give everyone who is tied prizes for the lowest rank? You know you're shafting us, we know you're shafting us, you might as well be honest about it.

Thirdly... Oh, I don't know. This isn't my damn job. You think of something. What percentage of your team gets called off content creation every time your server falls over? Think of your bottom line!

This!

Everyone gets wound up with these issues mostly cause they love this game and know that it could be so much better than it is with just a few tweaks.
    The reluctance on your part not to put such changes into place is certainly concerning for the future of this game.
  • shteev
    Options
    Has it started back up again?

The game I'm still in is still locked up. Have I just lost that one?
  • Ciotog
    Ciotog Posts: 77 Match Maker
    Options
    It is back up for me, but it counted my match as a loss as far as I can tell.
  • galro
    galro Posts: 14
    Options
    I am still not in... finished match almost an hour ago and as I was on the bubble for top 5, I would REALLY like my match to count...
  • shteev
    Options
    I had to quit in the end. Bye bye top 5. I can't remember the last time I played in an event when gameplay was more important to my final result than crashes.
  • jimilinho_
    Options
    shteev wrote:
    I had to quit in the end. Bye bye top 5. I can't remember the last time I played in an event when gameplay was more important to my final result than crashes.

Let's be honest, Nowadays it comes down to whether freezes or maintenance puts you out of the top 5. Its pretty tough to actually lose a game.
  • shteev
    Options
    I just want it to end now. When will this nightmare be over?
  • jimilinho_
    Options
    shteev wrote:

It can't end yet, I need someone else to overtake me. Can't deal with finishing 6th because of a freeze, Id be much happier if it was 8th or 9th!
  • shteev
    Options
    jimilinho_ wrote:
    shteev wrote:

It can't end yet, I need someone else to overtake me. Can't deal with finishing 6th because of a freeze, Id be much happier if it was 8th or 9th!

I'm in 12th, I'm not happy icon_razz.gif
  • PajdaCZ
    PajdaCZ Posts: 20
    Options
    Chill out, guys, you know you'll get your 1k runes as a compensation icon_lol.gif
  • jimilinho_
    Options
    shteev wrote:
    jimilinho_ wrote:
    shteev wrote:

Can we trade, you can have my 6th place, I don't want it! icon_cry.gif
  • Nitymp
    Nitymp Posts: 320 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    jimilinho_ wrote:
    shteev wrote:

I know the feeling! I finished 6th in 3 events in a row a few weeks ago! Rather be 24th lol
  • Corn_Noodles
    Corn_Noodles Posts: 477 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    shteev wrote:
    Even if you were in 1st, you might not be happy. icon_twisted.gif
  • Feagul
    Feagul Posts: 114
    Options
    shteev wrote:
    Even if you were in 1st, you might not be happy. icon_twisted.gif
    What's happy, precious?
  • shteev
    Options
    Wow.

Of all the solutions you could have come up with, starting 2 hours early and not telling anyone is not one I would have thought of.
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    shteev wrote:
    Wow.

Of all the solutions you could have come up with, starting 2 hours early and not telling anyone is not one I would have thought of.

Did it just start?

I want to know if I should just consider it a wash
  • HunMike
    HunMike Posts: 47
    Options
    Heya Steev!

It was a pleasure to meet your undoubtfully event-compatible Koth at this perfectly scheduled event, which hopfully won't crash on us. Not that it was your fault in any way icon_e_smile.gif
    I beg your pardon, that was my limit of how much irony i could compress in a single sentence. None of it was meant towards you.
    Story time: I've got one adverse condition and one imprisoned in the moon, and that was it for the whole match. I've wasted both on a reinforced rumbler, silly me. I've also had wave and crush in the deck. Launched a creation too. Not a single one removal came up after the mentioned two. So you can say i was far from the ideal hand. Also, kiora's mana denial isn't an ideal thing against a miracle-matchmaker koth. He shot the first ab almost every turn. Changed strategy, almost made it to the octopi. This match was in that 1-2%, no biggie.

Well, at least i don't have to try to compete in this ............. anymore. It's far, far cleaner and less bothersome then what hapened to me in the last event.
  • shteev
    Options
    shteev wrote:
    Wow.

... but BECAUSE you didn't tell anybody, they all logged on at the same time and crashed the servers anyway icon_e_biggrin.gificon_lol.gificon_rolleyes.gif