1.7.1 First Impressions

Options
speakupaskanswer
speakupaskanswer Posts: 306 Mover and Shaker
edited October 2016 in MtGPQ General Discussion
The Eldritch Moon cards seem okay to good so far. Meld is fun when it works.

I forgot how annoying it is that you can't get the new cards directly, just like with OGW. On the other hand, I know how annoyed I'll be in 1-2 months because we'll have most of the ELM cards already.

I had five SOI boosters left and bought one SOI big box with crystals. I got four ELM rares (and one SOI rare) and 12 ELM uncommons. I wish I had gotten a mythic or at least one of the new colorless cards, but that will happen eventually.

The speed improvement is really, really noticeable and definitely one of the best improvements I have seen yet.

So, first impression: good job!

Comments

• Coconut99
    Coconut99 Posts: 212
    Options
    So I got in and used some of my saved crystals to buy a SoI/EMN BB (my usual post-release first act)...

34 Commons
    34 Uncommons
    6 Rares (including 1 SoI rare I already had and 2 of the same new EMN rare, so 4 new Rares)
    1 Mythic (Tree of Perdition, from EMN)

Overall, not even close to my worst BB. I managed 1 set of Meld cards (Midnight Scavengers/Graf Rats), and no partial sets (those are the only Meld cards I got). Out of the 75 cards in the BB, I got 21 unique EMN cards (and 4 dupes...so 25/75 cards were EMN, for a 1-in-3 draw rate).

I also think I only managed 1 card that spawns Eldrazi Horrors (Foul Emissary), and of course, it's Green, where I already don't need help with summoning Eldrazi's thanks to From Beyond. Oh well.

What are the thoughts on Tree of Perdition? Decent Mythic, or another one that's going to collect dust and never see the light of day?
  • Foznertep
    Foznertep Posts: 121 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Spawning Eldrazi Horrors might give nice combinations for Kiora with Thing in the Ice, I guess.
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Here are my impressions from my first game.

1) Display bug from triggering multiple clues not fixed.
    2) Display bug from multiple gems falling not fixed.
    3) Cascades much harder to keep track of now with increased speed.
    4) Game crashed completely when put into background to use another app ('Unfortunately, Magic the Gathering Puzzle Quest has stopped').
  • randomRolle
    Options
    New look for gems is worse on eyes.

Returning big that blocks rearranging cards in hand.

Bunch of new crashes, with many old ones still not fixed.

Wish they had any sort of QA team.
  • alextfish
    alextfish Posts: 192
    Options
    The gem matching/falling is far too fast. You can't see or follow what's happening.
    OK, I can understand that you want to speed up long cascades. It's a silly feeling to move away from the phone to read an email, then looking back and the cascade is still going on.

*But* now you've optimised the whole game for the relatively unusual long-cascade case.

What would have made much more sense would be to keep the original match and gem drop speed, for the first 1-2 matches of a cascade, and then speed up after that.
  • shteev
    Options
    alextfish wrote:
    *But* now you've optimised the whole game for the relatively unusual long-cascade case.

I do find this odd. When I heard there were further speed enhancements in this update, I assumed they'd be talking about further improvements to token generation speed... the current animation is a little strange, and puts the first 2 tokens into play as cards and the rest as quick reinforcements, so Devil's Playground is still pretty slow to cast, and Not Forgotten hasn't been improved at all.

Instead the token animations haven't been changed, and the cascades have been speeded up? Was there a call amougst the player base for that? I didn't notice it. Was it on Reddit perhaps which I don't visit? Has anyone seen the player base calling out for this change anywhere?

Is the faster cascade animation a statement of intent by the dev team that cascades are in fact going to get get longer than they currently are?
  • EDHdad
    EDHdad Posts: 609 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Overall, I like the faster gem matching. But I wouldn't mind an option to turn it on and off.
  • Hibernum_JC
    Hibernum_JC Posts: 318 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    shteev wrote:
    alextfish wrote:

I do find this odd. When I heard there were further speed enhancements in this update, I assumed they'd be talking about further improvements to token generation speed... the current animation is a little strange, and puts the first 2 tokens into play as cards and the rest as quick reinforcements, so Devil's Playground is still pretty slow to cast, and Not Forgotten hasn't been improved at all.

Instead the token animations haven't been changed, and the cascades have been speeded up? Was there a call amougst the player base for that? I didn't notice it. Was it on Reddit perhaps which I don't visit? Has anyone seen the player base calling out for this change anywhere?

Is the faster cascade animation a statement of intent by the dev team that cascades are in fact going to get get longer than they currently are?

We wanted to make sure that token animations were a bit faster, and so we skip anything over 2 tokens (as you've mentioned, over 2 tokens and we skip the card animation). This was a design decision that was made because we wanted to keep the clarity of summoning tokens (and making sure they're readable a bit) while significantly speeding up the 4+ tokens summon speeds.

As for the gem falling having been sped up, this was done as a general pass to speed up the game as a whole. There is currently an issue with the dropping animation not being as smooth as it should be that will be fixed in a future update. But I can guarantee you that speeding up the gem drop animation was not done because cascades and the like will get longer in the future, at all.
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    EDHdad wrote:
    Overall, I like the faster gem matching. But I wouldn't mind an option to turn it on and off.

Yup. I want it on for qb and off for events.
  • Steeme
    Steeme Posts: 784 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Ohboy wrote:
    EDHdad wrote:

Yup. I want it on for qb and off for events.

This is an excellent idea.
  • shteev
    Options
    We wanted to make sure that token animations were a bit faster, and so we skip anything over 2 tokens (as you've mentioned, over 2 tokens and we skip the card animation). This was a design decision that was made because we wanted to keep the clarity of summoning tokens (and making sure they're readable a bit) while significantly speeding up the 4+ tokens summon speeds.

Well it's your decision, but I honestly think it makes summoning tokens *more* confusing. Why not have only 1 Token show up as a card, and then the rest reinforce? It particularly makes no sense when I'm cast a second set of tokens, and BOTH displayed cards are now reinforcing an existing stack of tokens.
  • wink
    wink Posts: 136 Tile Toppler
    Options
    EDHdad wrote:
    This. And option to turn it on and off would be great. Experienced players will get the speed benefits, and newbies like me will be able to follow the action.
  • Morphis
    Morphis Posts: 975 Critical Contributor
    Options
    shteev wrote:
    alextfish wrote:

As for the gem falling having been sped up, this was done as a general pass to speed up the game as a whole. There is currently an issue with the dropping animation not being as smooth as it should be that will be fixed in a future update. But I can guarantee you that speeding up the gem drop animation was not done because cascades and the like will get longer in the future, at all.
    As of now the whole game sped up a lot and that's a good thing.
    Any plans to speed up at least a little bit the remaining slow animations?
    Id love to play my Sorin without taking ages https://youtu.be/pYBwcB0W9U8
  • glggwp
    glggwp Posts: 202 Tile Toppler
    Options
    i find the cascade is even more pronounced than before...
  • Foznertep
    Foznertep Posts: 121 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Great Aurora still takes forever, especially when a lot of Clues are on the board.
  • speakupaskanswer
    speakupaskanswer Posts: 306 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I don't see the problem in the accelerated gems drop. It makes the games faster and I have never thought I missed something.
  • blacklotus
    blacklotus Posts: 589 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I don't see the problem in the accelerated gems drop. It makes the games faster and I have never thought I missed something.

I agree. I monitor only the spell casting and end board states to make my next move. I never bother with the animated cascading gem matches, either mine or the AI.

if mtgPQ show only the 2 end board states after swipe moves are made, I won't mind one bit. icon_e_smile.gif
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    blacklotus wrote:

I agree. I monitor only the spell casting and end board states to make my next move. I never bother with the animated cascading gem matches, either mine or the AI.

if mtgPQ show only the 2 end board states after swipe moves are made, I won't mind one bit. icon_e_smile.gif

It's kinda nice to know if you the card the AI is filling up is a behold the the beyond or a desolation twin.
  • blacklotus
    blacklotus Posts: 589 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Ohboy wrote:
    blacklotus wrote:

It's kinda nice to know if you the card the AI is filling up is a behold the the beyond or a desolation twin.

good pt. I stopped my practice of monitoring after the harness n SP crazy cascades in almost every deck I meet.