Mechanics from Paper MtG

Options
Ciotog
Ciotog Posts: 77 Match Maker
A couple of mechanics I miss from paper MtG that I think could be implemented into MtGPQ that would be fun:
- ‘X’ mana cost: It would be similar to the awaken cost but it would be able to take as much mana as you can feed into it and you choose when to set it off. The mana would have to reset at the beginning of your turn to keep the effects from being too insane. I’m thinking of spells like Steam of Life (1 mana = 1 life), Drain Life (2 mana = 1 drain life), and Disintegrate (1 mana = 1 damage). These would be powerful with a cascade but balanced otherwise I think. Another balancing factor is that this will eat all your mana and stop a combo which could be more frustrating than helpful.
- Circles of Protection: A support that will drain mana from you to prevent damage from a certain color or type of card. With only 10 cards in a deck, I think this would work better as protecting from a card type versus a color (random opponents make it impossible to prepare the right circle).
- Counter spell/Interrupts: A card that you keep charged up in your hand that will go out to counter a spell mid cast (Power Drain, Counter spell). I’m not sure if it would be better for there to be a pop-up window every time your opponent casts a spell or if it would just counter the next card no matter what it was. Maybe there could be variations to counter creature/spell/support. Maybe this should also be limited to only cancelling spells up to a certain cost.
- Lure: An ability that will force your opponent’s creatures to block this creature. Kind of like a reverse menace ability.

Comments

• Ciotog
    Ciotog Posts: 77 Match Maker
    Options
    Thought of another one:

I'd like to see the max life removed for during a match. You wouldn't be able to carry life over between matches but you could gain temporary hit points above your max during a match.
  • THEMAGICkMAN
    THEMAGICkMAN Posts: 697 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I like the idea of (x) costs, but I don't like the coubterspell idea, lol I hate control enough in paper mtg, coubtermagic is just the worst, I hate the feeling of me saving up for something and boom! Countered. Since in puzzle quest there's a lot of things you need to save up for I feel that true counter magic would be very un-fun. Mana drain is annoying enough!
    Something I sorta want in kaladesh is actual artifact creatures and a theme around them! I reckon this could be very cool