Place your bets: Winter Soldier's Crash!

Comments

• Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    My 4/3/1 lvl 172 WS got it after a few tries, it took me time to get used to judging how to use the purple properly as I havent gone near him since his launch period events.
  • stochasticism
    stochasticism Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yay, new crash! First one in a while. My 3/5/5 L145 WS won second try, no boosts.

First try bp matched away all my CDs and attack tiles and fired off an early battleplan and then rage to finsh me. Second try i got a good cascade and got red out 3rd turn. Won about 6 turns later. I was probably on complete opposite ends of luck on both tries but this one feels winnable if you have a low cover ws.
  • Smudge
    Smudge Posts: 562 Critical Contributor
    Took my 2/2/4 Bucky to level 168 during double ISO in anticipation of this one. First attempt was riddled with black/yellow on the initial board. I still got BP to around 2k before he was able to fire RotP, but lost nonetheless.

Beat him on the second attempt, no boosts, though I did have a nice early mini-cascade. Deny black/yellow, collect pretty much *any* of your colors when you can - they're all useful. Use purple to control yellow and black as needed and strategically move the board. Try to get BP to match your traps if you fire blue... those attack tiles are a big boon if you can get T'Challa to match your traps. Fire red only if there's at least a single match-3 available. I'm not sure what it looks like at lower covers/levels, but at 4 covers/level 168, it does just under 5k if the tile counts down and just under 7k if you match it. It's a minor difference between counting down and you matching, but it's still around 10 total "strong color" match-3s.

I enjoyed this Crash quite a bit! Got a icon_blackbolt.pngyellowflag.png to boot. Not my first choice honestly (would prefer covers for my 9-11 cover 4*s like Rulk, JG, or Iceman), but I'll take it!
  • Just beat BP with a 3/0/1 lvl 111 Winter Soldier, so there's a glimmer of hope for those with a similar build. I believe it took me 8 tries with boosts.

My strategy was basically the same as everyone else's. Deny yellowflag.png and blackflag.png , basically ignore blueflag.png , and hope to match your CD tile. I would use purpleflag.png to get rid of BP's yellow/black AP, whichever he was closer to firing off. I got an extremely lucky board as well.
  • JangoLore
    JangoLore Posts: 126 Tile Toppler
    I have had no luck so far through 5 tries with my lvl 131 3/1/2. Having more red covers would totally help, but I am going to keep on trying and hope for a board with like 36 reds for me.
  • catcusvader
    catcusvader Posts: 93 Match Maker
    Just beat BP with a 3/0/1 lvl 111 Winter Soldier.
    How is that even possible? Mine is 2/1/1 and the highest you can lvl him with 4 covers is to 94.
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    How is that even possible? Mine is 2/1/1 and the highest you can lvl him with 4 covers is to 94.

Max level isn't just determined by total covers, more covers in one power makes it different. Why? Who knooooooows.
  • kobu
    kobu Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    edited October 2016
    Failing hard with boosts at 110 5/2/3. Every board setup is a dream for Black Panther. Managed to get him down to only 2k left on my first try at 90 with no boosts.
  • catcusvader
    catcusvader Posts: 93 Match Maker
    udonomefoo wrote:

Max level isn't just determined by total covers, more covers in one power makes it different. Why? Who knooooooows.
    That makes sense and no sense at the same time. It normally wouldn't matter but trying to these nodes its really unfair that they do this.
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    udonomefoo wrote:

That makes sense and no sense at the same time. It normally wouldn't matter but trying to these nodes its really unfair that they do this.

I feel you. My 1/1/2 isn't going anywhere but down in this fight. Maybe next time.
  • waywreth
    waywreth Posts: 303 Mover and Shaker
    1/1/3, 115 here - not a chance. Tried a few times, not even close. Hopefully next run I'll have him higher!
  • Cousin Simpson
    Cousin Simpson Posts: 1,086 Chairperson of the Boards
    Four tries with 4/2/2 @ 168, no boosts. Took a while for me to get a feel for WS's mechanics and the proper strategy to use against BP -- don't bother draining his red or blue, save it against his yellow or black (which you should be denying as well). When you have enough red, make sure that the board has a red match on it.

Got a purple Spider-Gwen.
  • Dartmaster01
    Dartmaster01 Posts: 634 Critical Contributor
    3/5/0 level 90 was no problem. 2 B/P, 2 all color, and max all color damage boosts. Got off blue, he matched all the trap tiles the next turn in a cascade and the attack tiles it created cut him down in a couple turns after that.

Got Nova yellow from the token. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • madok
    madok Posts: 905 Critical Contributor
    Got it on the first try with my 2/5/5 at 140. He fired off one blue and then I matched his CD away to get enough AP to fire my own blue. He then promptly matched away one of the trap tiles and he died a slow death.

LT banked until Strange hits the tokens.
  • Dhaunas
    Dhaunas Posts: 54 Match Maker
    Beat it first try with my lvl 131 2/3/1 -- used 60% match damage, 50% purple/blue damage, +2 yellow/red ap.

The red / yellow ap boost was wasted, even though I did get it off once. My saving grace was Precision shot keeping him from getting 12 black ap and BP matching a couple of my demolition tiles.... I was just over 1k health when the attack tiles finished taking him out, just as he was about to use his yellow a 2nd time (1st time I was able to match away 2 of his 3 strike tiles, fortunately).

I feel very fortunate, was expecting this to be a try and fail miserably, was pleasantly surprised.. pulled a Fury yellow with the token icon_neutral.gif
  • TheDrStrange
    TheDrStrange Posts: 89 Match Maker
    I got him down to around 1200 HP with my 1/0/2 level 90 Winter Soldier. I had about as good a start as you can get with 2 red five in a rows, so I think I'll have to see if I can do this one on the next time through. Hopefully I'll have a few more covers by then.
  • OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 689 Critical Contributor
    1/4/2 level 134. First time I didn't get enough blue in time and he beat me. Second time I got some attack tiles out early and he went down easily.
  • BigBZ32
    BigBZ32 Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    My WS is 3/5/5 lvl140. Boosted +2 r/y, + 2 b/p, +50% r/y dmg. Got him first try with matching red and blue going off to finish him. Had a purple to slow his black, but he still got black off. I must say, I never used him before, but I like what I experienced and may champ him soon.
  • stochasticism
    stochasticism Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    BigBZ32 wrote:
    My WS is 3/5/5 lvl140. Boosted +2 r/y, + 2 b/p, +50% r/y dmg. Got him first try with matching red and blue going off to finish him. Had a purple to slow his black, but he still got black off. I must say, I never used him before, but I like what I experienced and may champ him soon.

That's what these new crashes will be fun for. Testing out the unleveled 4* that aren't top tier but may be diamonds in the rough and much better than people say.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,289 Chairperson of the Boards
    My 2/2/1 level 111 Winter Soldier isn't up to the task. BP is just so hard of a match up because yellow and black are not colors useful to WS. In addition, he just isn't a very good character. I had a great board....amazing in fact, with over 6 critical matches (used +30% bonus to blue/purple and +60% to all damage and +2 to all AP) and got BP down to 3500 health when he wasted me with his yellow tiles got put out. If I can't beat it with that board, I am not beating it with this build.

This is my first time playing WS and he really seems weak. His blue is worse than Fury's in damage (although more useful against goons), his purple seems to do little damage with ok AP steal and his red is overpriced in terms of AP. He does a little of everything but nothing well and what he does do is mainly countdown tile based. Maybe his abilities scale much better but compared to other 4*s at this level he is the worst I have played with limited covers so far. I think part of it is that he is so countdown tile based to be effective which is tough against a solid character like BP who is not countdown tile based. I have normally been able to succeed with level 111 characters in most of the crashes I have done (with boosts of course) but after getting that amazing board and still failing....I will save the rest of my boosts for another week.