How come you can't win the features character in the PvP?

Options
Dragon_Nexus
Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
It always kinda puzzled me why there's no prize involving the feature character in the PvP events. Currently we have Iron Man Model 40, but there's only one cover available for that at 1200 points or there abouts (Never seen a person on #1 with that many points ever).

I dunno, I kinda figured there's be a way to win some covers if you ranked high enough. But then again, I suppose the people who's win would generlly have him powered up anyway.

Comments

• Kind of answering your own question there: the people expected to place best (current state of MMR notwithstanding) aren't people who need IM40 covers, so the placement prizes are something else. Having them in there as very high progression awards is also pretty standard. You could get to 1200 with some luck, assuming the scoring tweaks from Blind Justice are still in, but you'd have to alternate pushing really fast with probably several three-hour shields to do it. The question is whether you consider the gamble in shield expenditure a better choice than just spending 1250 HP to buy the cover. The value's even higher if it's your first (because you can't buy more until you have one), which is probably what would motivate some to go for it if they wouldn't otherwise.
  • You never needed shields to get high progression rewards if you can win quick enough, especially now that shielded guys are removed from the pool of available targets.

Of course, 'win quick enough' is easier said than done.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think they used to put one or two covers for the featured character in the progression rewards (or did they only do that for 2* characters?), especially if the featured character was a recent addition, but they've cut back on that and progression reward levels are all messed up right now anyway.
  • Because they want you to spend HP on making a slot machine pull.
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Because it doesn't make sense to make a character a reward of their own round. The people who have an iron man 40 to use don't need him as a reward, and the people who need him as a reward don't have him to play.
  • kensterr
    kensterr Posts: 1,277 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Toxicadam wrote:
    Because they want you to spend HP on making a slot machine pull.
    I'm a sucker for that cos I have no patience for 2 hour match-ups. icon_e_sad.gif