Character Rankings February 2016 Edition: The Results

123457»

Comments

• Ebolamonkey84
    Ebolamonkey84 Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
    dbfclark wrote:
    Jaedenkaal: thanks, updated!

Hey DB,

Thanks for the writeups. Been super busy with work and family, but I will look over them and add to my original posts.
  • dbfclark
    dbfclark Posts: 10 Just Dropped In
    Thanks, Ebola!

I'll try to get something done for the 3*s too, but I'm going to need someone else to take on the massive challenge of writing 4* reviews for all the characters I haven't got enough experience with to write myself...
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    Good job, y'all. Keep up the hard work.
  • Ishalan
    Ishalan Posts: 18 Just Dropped In
    I would also like to thank you for putting this list together. It has made for several good discussions.
  • Ishalan
    Ishalan Posts: 18 Just Dropped In
    I know there is alot of discussion that JG is overrated. However, when in PvE she is devastating. My normal PvE team for going through missions is:
    OML(he is a brutal and effect tank).
    Championed Jean Grey all 3 of her abilities in PvE are very useful.
    Championed SWitch she feeds Jean like a personal energizer bunny.
    I can generally fire her first purple on turn 4 easily, but tend to hold it to stop whatever countdown tiles are running for the enemy.

Anyway. To those claiming she is overrated. Please remember there is more to the game than PvP. In PvE she is the B's Knees.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Do people think that KP will drop down the rankings in the future due to those changes to account for fortification or is he strong enough to overcome the loss of one usage scenario?
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,900 Chairperson of the Boards
    dbfclark wrote:
    2* Bullseye

Bullseye got a rework since last time, but like most Dark Avengers is a bit unpopular anyhow. His protect tiles don’t scale with covers, instead just increasing the cap on the number of tiles created, so overscaled versions can be a pain without making it a good idea to put too many covers on purple or making the power actually good. The new green can destroy 5 tiles, which is a great puzzle-y power but still isn’t reliable enough that people like it.

Pros: Some people like puzzling.
    Cons: Some people don’t.

Purple: Fine as a passive, but underpowered.
    Black: 2 AP cheaper than the original version! You’ll still never cast it because of the expense.
    Green: The good reason to play this character, but still not that great.

Recommended build: 3/5/5
    Good partners: Suggestions include 2* Hawkeye, 2* Mags, and 2* Thor

I think Daken is Bullseye's best partner and vice versa. During your 2* time if you let Daken stay about 5 levels ahead of Bullseye he tanks the Purple/Black. 2-3 protect tiles pretty much means Daken auto regenerates all match damage in PvP while Bullseye only takes damage from the occasional AoE. So you just need a health pack for your 3rd character when he eventually wears down.

I used these 2 plus a RGY character of choice during my entire 2* phase in PvP/Simulator.

KGB
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,260 Chairperson of the Boards
    Crowl wrote:
    Do people think that KP will drop down the rankings in the future due to those changes to account for fortification or is he strong enough to overcome the loss of one usage scenario?

I doubt it, it just removed one nice synergy he had with XFDP. He still remains a good character since his purpleflag.png accelerates his yellowflag.png and blackflag.png is oh so cheap and strong. He stands on his own.

Any character that tends to generate AP for their other powers are typically strong in this game.
  • Can someone give me a general idea on where Drax and Howard the Duck might fit in the rankings? Also, what is it that makes Electra so bad?
  • The Bob The
    The Bob The Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    Can someone give me a general idea on where Drax and Howard the Duck might fit in the rankings? Also, what is it that makes Electra so bad?

Mainly it's the purple that you can't use in some circumstances without casting it twice. The red and black aren't terrible, there's just better ones, but having a 4* with a power that won't ever go off seems to be a dealbreaker.
  • Can someone give me a general idea on where Drax and Howard the Duck might fit in the rankings? Also, what is it that makes Electra so bad?

Mainly it's the purple that you can't use in some circumstances without casting it twice. The red and black aren't terrible, there's just better ones, but having a 4* with a power that won't ever go off seems to be a dealbreaker.
    Thanks. Electra's damage also seems to be not very good. What's the word on Drax, Howard, and War Machine?
  • The Bob The
    The Bob The Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    Can someone give me a general idea on where Drax and Howard the Duck might fit in the rankings? Also, what is it that makes Electra so bad?

Thanks. Electra's damage also seems to be not very good. What's the word on Drax, Howard, and War Machine?

My limited understanding...

Howard: Novelty character whose purple can make him surprisingly viable in the right circumstances.

War Machine: Maybe mid-tier, although some of those with him champed seem to like him better than expected.

Drax: Fine but underwhelming. Ending turn doesn't seem to make sense for what you get. He's got his defenders, but so does Chulk.
  • IamTheBiggs
    IamTheBiggs Posts: 215 Tile Toppler
    Seems to me that the rankings are ripe for an update, what with Anniversary just around the corner, eh?
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,296 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'll probably go for it, but closer to the end of year.
  • IamTheBiggs
    IamTheBiggs Posts: 215 Tile Toppler
    Pylgrim wrote:
    I'll probably go for it, but closer to the end of year.

Keep us informed. I might like to contribute synopses to some of the lower-tiered ( star.png - star.pngstar.pngstar.png ) toons when the time comes.
  • One thing I don’t get about the 3* character rankings:

How is Iron Man 40 rated so low? He’s amazing when it comes to AP generation. At max level, for just 6 AP (yes, a mere 2 matches), his yellow will generate 12 red, 12 blue, 9 green, and 3 purple! He’s a beast when paired with CMags, GSBW, or Steve Rogers. And if you are missing a red or blue damage-dealing power, you can pump up his red for 6500 damage or his blue for 3000 team damage. Yes I know his red and blue drain other AP, but you can wait and fire your yellow, purple, or black powers, then fire IM40’s last. Many times, a blast from IM40 can be enough to end the fight so it doesn't matter how much other AP it takes.
  • kirk justice
    kirk justice Posts: 60 Match Maker
    One thing I don’t get about the 3* character rankings:

How is Iron Man 40 rated so low? He’s amazing when it comes to AP generation. At max level, for just 6 AP (yes, a mere 2 matches), his yellow will generate 12 red, 12 blue, 9 green, and 3 purple! He’s a beast when paired with CMags, GSBW, or Steve Rogers. And if you are missing a red or blue damage-dealing power, you can pump up his red for 6500 damage or his blue for 3000 team damage. Yes I know his red and blue drain other AP, but you can wait and fire your yellow, purple, or black powers, then fire IM40’s last. Many times, a blast from IM40 can be enough to end the fight so it doesn't matter how much other AP it takes.

This was made just before the buff came out. If I remember correctly the poll came out days before the buff did.
  • One thing I don’t get about the 3* character rankings:

This was made just before the buff came out. If I remember correctly the poll came out days before the buff did.
    Ah, ok. That must have been quite a buff!
  • ErikPeter
    ErikPeter Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    It was. Red did half as much damage, Blue cost 5 more AP, and Yellow, well, it cost like 14 AP and did less than it does now.